Old 01-30-2009, 09:19 PM
P Kapat

Default shred on ext3 partition - journaled or not?

Nothing specific to Kubuntu still: I've an ext3 partition /dev/sda7
and I want to know with what journaling options this was mounted:
(because I want to use shred on it)

fstab entry:
UUID=...... /media/sda7 ext3 defaults 0 2

mtab entry:
/dev/sda7 /media/sda7 ext3 rw 0 0

tune2fs -l /dev/sda7 shows: (only relevant parts shown)
Filesystem features: has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index
filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
Default mount options: (none)
Journal inode: 8
Default directory hash: half_md4
Journal backup: inode blocks

So, is this mounted with data=journal / data=ordered / data=writeback?
More importantly Is there any way to verify what journaling mode is
used on this (or any other) partition? The reason I ask is that shred
(man shred) is not reliable on data=journal mode.

--
Regards
PK

Old 01-31-2009, 07:19 AM
P Kapat

On 1/30/09, P Kapat <kap4lin@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, is this mounted with data=journal / data=ordered / data=writeback?
> More importantly Is there any way to verify what journaling mode is
> used on this (or any other) partition? The reason I ask is that shred
> (man shred) is not reliable on data=journal mode.

I looked around and found this out:
grep -i data= /proc/mounts

Just in case any one needs it!
--