Old 01-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Knapp

Default No really I need help!; Java kills sound

Old 01-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 1:48:14 pm Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello, when I run anything Java my sounds stops working (Still works
> > in Java though) for other programs and xine will not start up. Any
> > ideas about how to fix this?
> > Thanks all!
> > --
> > Douglas E Knapp

Do you have dmix enabled in alsa? You see, but for some Creative sound cards
that have hardware mixers, alsa (the Linux sound architecture) doesn't by
default mix audio - basically meaning that sounds from different programs not
using a software mixer (like aRts provides for KDE3) cannot play at once.
There is a software mixer for alsa called dmix and it works great in my
experience (though my current computer has a SoundBlaster with a hardware
mixer), but it's usually not enabled by default. Sadly, there's no way that I
know of to change that with a GUI, so if you haven't enabled it on your
machine, you'll have to copy or edit a config file. If I recall correctly,
doing this on Kubuntu was rather simple, because they have a sample alsa
config file somewhere in the alsa package (somewhere among the docs for some
reason) that you can copy to /etc. I think the name of the file is
alsa.conf.example and you need to rename it to alsa.conf when you copy it with
sudo. That file worked for me without editing, so I hope it does for you,
too.

I hope I hit the mark here and am not barking up the wrong tree.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Knapp

> Do you have dmix enabled in alsa? You see, but for some Creative sound cards
> that have hardware mixers, alsa (the Linux sound architecture) doesn't by
> default mix audio - basically meaning that sounds from different programs not
> using a software mixer (like aRts provides for KDE3) cannot play at once.
> There is a software mixer for alsa called dmix and it works great in my
> experience (though my current computer has a SoundBlaster with a hardware
> mixer), but it's usually not enabled by default. Sadly, there's no way that I
> know of to change that with a GUI, so if you haven't enabled it on your
> machine, you'll have to copy or edit a config file. If I recall correctly,
> doing this on Kubuntu was rather simple, because they have a sample alsa
> config file somewhere in the alsa package (somewhere among the docs for some
> reason) that you can copy to /etc. I think the name of the file is
> alsa.conf.example and you need to rename it to alsa.conf when you copy it with
> sudo. That file worked for me without editing, so I hope it does for you,
> too.
>
> I hope I hit the mark here and am not barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks, I found a file called also.conf but I don't see anything about
the setting you talked about.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Thursday 29 January 2009 1:50:11 am Knapp wrote:
> > Do you have dmix enabled in alsa? You see, but for some Creative sound
> > cards that have hardware mixers, alsa (the Linux sound architecture)
> > doesn't by default mix audio - basically meaning that sounds from
> > different programs not using a software mixer (like aRts provides for
> > KDE3) cannot play at once. There is a software mixer for alsa called dmix
> > and it works great in my experience (though my current computer has a
> > SoundBlaster with a hardware mixer), but it's usually not enabled by
> > default. Sadly, there's no way that I know of to change that with a GUI,
> > so if you haven't enabled it on your machine, you'll have to copy or edit
> > a config file. If I recall correctly, doing this on Kubuntu was rather
> > simple, because they have a sample alsa config file somewhere in the alsa
> > package (somewhere among the docs for some reason) that you can copy to
> > /etc. I think the name of the file is alsa.conf.example and you need to
> > rename it to alsa.conf when you copy it with sudo. That file worked for
> > me without editing, so I hope it does for you, too.
> >
> > I hope I hit the mark here and am not barking up the wrong tree.
>
> Thanks, I found a file called also.conf but I don't see anything about
> the setting you talked about.

http://buglandia.blogspot.com/2007/08/howto-software-audio-mixing-in-
ubuntu.html

Sorry, was wrong about the config file name. It's asound.conf. Go to the
link above (I hope word wrap doesn't kill the url, or you'll have to put the
last part in). It gives you easy instructions how to enable software mixing
in alsa in both Debian and Ubuntu (which will work for Kubuntu).