Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Billie Erin Walsh

Default Intrepid with KDE 4.2

On 01/27/2009 Art Alexion wrote:
> Well, I take back my original statement anyway. Everything in 4.2 works
> better and is more stable than 4.1... except the stuff I use the most...
> quick launch which seems unconfigurable[1], and kmail which constantly
> crashes.
>
> [1] yeah, you can write your own .desktop files, but unlike older
versions,
> you can't configure auto-additon by popularity or drag and drop icons.

While I sat here last night playing on the computer I found that 4.2 was
in the "ppa" repository for 8.10. Took me a while to find the correct
place but did get there eventually. Just about midnight I was rebooting
into KDE 4.2.

HIP hip hooray. The task bar [ whatever it's called ] is able to hide
again. That's one of my favorite things. I don't like _ANYTHING_ on my
desktop unlike my better half that has so much stuff you can't see the
wallpaper.

Plus one point.

Quick Launce was there but as noted by Art above still isn't very
usable. Maybe someday they will get it right.

Minus one point.

Somehow in the update Kpatience was broken. Maybe there will be an
update to fix that soon.

Minus one point.

Perhaps with no solitaire I will get off my B____ and do some of the
other things that I should be doing instead.

Plus one point according to my better half.

SO, I guess it's pretty much a zero sum update so far.

I also want to publicly thank Jonas Norlander for sending his compiled
Quick Launch applet. It arrived this morning and the update was already
done.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:24 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Billie Erin Walsh said the following at 01/28/2009 11:42 AM :

> Quick Launce was there but as noted by Art above still isn't very
> usable. Maybe someday they will get it right.
>
> Minus one point.
>
> Somehow in the update Kpatience was broken. Maybe there will be an
> update to fix that soon.
>
> Minus one point.

Please file bug reports against things that are broken, and wishlist items
against behaviour that you'd like to change.

https://bugs.kde.org

Mostly, they'll listen. Every now and then you get something -- the broken
ordering of files in Konqueror comes to mind -- that they won't change, or
even engage in rational debate. But mostly it can only be good for the
developers to hear from users. They do seem to live rather in their own
world :-)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR