Old 01-28-2009, 03:21 AM
Michael

Default A KDE equivalent to gnome-open

"If you want to open up a file or folder using the default application
from your terminal in ubuntu
(or any linux distrib using gnome), just use gnome-open. Like this:

|gnome-open ~/docs/something.pdf|

Gnome will use it’s file association tables to open it in the correct
application, and you won’t have
to worry about remembering what your pdf viewer is called."

(Taken from
http://www.davidbdean.com/2007/07/06/open-file-with-default-application-from-terminal-ubuntugnome/)

Does KDE have anything similar to this?

Mike

Old 01-28-2009, 05:02 AM
Karl Klinger

Michael wrote:
> "If you want to open up a file or folder using the default application
> from your terminal in ubuntu
> (or any linux distrib using gnome), just use gnome-open. Like this:
>
> |gnome-open ~/docs/something.pdf|
>
> Gnome will use it’s file association tables to open it in the correct
> application, and you won’t have
> to worry about remembering what your pdf viewer is called."
>
> (Taken from
> http://www.davidbdean.com/2007/07/06/open-file-with-default-application-from-terminal-ubuntugnome/)
>

> Does KDE have anything similar to this?
>
> Mike

xdg-open seems to do what you want.

Karl

Old 01-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Klinger wrote:

> Michael wrote:
>> "If you want to open up a file or folder using the default application
>> from your terminal in ubuntu
>> (or any linux distrib using gnome), just use gnome-open. Like this:
>>
>> |gnome-open ~/docs/something.pdf|
>>
>> Gnome will use it?s file association tables to open it in the correct
>> application, and you won?t have
>> to worry about remembering what your pdf viewer is called."
>>
>> (Taken from
>> http://www.davidbdean.com/2007/07/06/open-file-with-default-application-
from-terminal-ubuntugnome/)

>> Does KDE have anything similar to this?

> xdg-open seems to do what you want.

Cool - that works on a Gnome system, too (and many others) and uses the
appropriate tool to do the job (it uses "kfmclient exec" in KDE).

You can also use "kfmclient openUrl ..." which opens the file in Konqueror,
if konqueror is set to open that type of file "embedded". I presume, but
haven't checked, that it would open it standalone if the mime-type isn't set
to be embedded.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 10:21:19 pm Michael wrote:
> "If you want to open up a file or folder using the default application
> from your terminal in ubuntu
>
> (or any linux distrib using gnome), just use gnome-open. Like this:
> |gnome-open ~/docs/something.pdf|
>
> Gnome will use it’s file association tables to open it in the correct
> application, and you won’t have
> to worry about remembering what your pdf viewer is called."
>
> (Taken from
> http://www.davidbdean.com/2007/07/06/open-file-with-default-application-fro
>m-terminal-ubuntugnome/)
>

> Does KDE have anything similar to this?
>
> Mike

First, I had never even considered there might be something like this. I
first considered kstart, which is a cool little program, but it doesn't do
what you say. So I looked at the KDE4 runtime package executables and
found... (prepare to be shocked)... kde-open. KDE3 has the same thing. I
tried it on a pdf file and it opened in Okular.

That is such a neat little thing and I had never heard of it. Thank you for
pointing it out to me.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Derek Broughton

Constantinos Maltezos wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 January 2009 10:21:19 pm Michael wrote:
>> "If you want to open up a file or folder using the default application
>> from your terminal in ubuntu
>>
>> (or any linux distrib using gnome), just use gnome-open. Like this:
>> |gnome-open ~/docs/something.pdf|

>> Does KDE have anything similar to this?
>
> First, I had never even considered there might be something like this. I
> first considered kstart, which is a cool little program, but it doesn't do
> what you say. So I looked at the KDE4 runtime package executables and
> found... (prepare to be shocked)... kde-open. KDE3 has the same thing. I
> tried it on a pdf file and it opened in Okular.
>
> That is such a neat little thing and I had never heard of it. Thank you
> for pointing it out to me.

I wonder _why_ we have kde-open, since kfmclient has always done this...

Old 01-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 6:43:35 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> I wonder _why_ we have kde-open, since kfmclient has always done this...

Less to type? "Gnome has it and I want it"? Easier to explain?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Derek Broughton

Constantinos Maltezos wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 January 2009 6:43:35 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
>> I wonder _why_ we have kde-open, since kfmclient has always done this...
>
> Less to type? "Gnome has it and I want it"? Easier to explain?

And for that, there's xdg-open - which works in Gnome, KDE (using kfmclient,
not kde-open). and just about everything else. I see "xdg-...." and I think
- "shiny!" :-)