Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 AM
Billie Erin Walsh

Default Grousing - feel free to ignore

Well........it looks like I'm using 8.10/4.x beginning today. I've had
ongoing issues with the video settings in 8.04/3.x for some time and it
blew up again. I already had 8.10/4.x installed and all my major files
were copied over to it so.....................

I can't say I'm particularly happy with the situation but.................

Asi es la vida.

--
- - Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Art Alexion

4.2 (a/k/a 4.1.96) in the PPA seems significanly more stable and
usable than the release 4.0-4.1. I highly recommend it.

On 1/26/09, Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> Well........it looks like I'm using 8.10/4.x beginning today. I've had
> ongoing issues with the video settings in 8.04/3.x for some time and it
> blew up again. I already had 8.10/4.x installed and all my major files
> were copied over to it so.....................
>
> I can't say I'm particularly happy with the situation but.................
>
> Asi es la vida.
>
> --
> - - Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface

Old 01-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Billie Erin Walsh

Art Alexion wrote:
> 4.2 (a/k/a 4.1.96) in the PPA seems significanly more stable and
> usable than the release 4.0-4.1. I highly recommend it.
>

> On 1/26/09, Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
>
>> Well........it looks like I'm using 8.10/4.x beginning today. I've had
>> ongoing issues with the video settings in 8.04/3.x for some time and it
>> blew up again. I already had 8.10/4.x installed and all my major files
>> were copied over to it so.....................
>>
>> I can't say I'm particularly happy with the situation but.................
>>
>> Asi es la vida.

I just hadn't really planned on a full migration just yet. I was
thinking by 9.10. 4.1 is usable even with the things I'm not so crazy
about. I guess the signature says it all.

4.2 is due out any time so I think I will just leave well enough alone
till then. It should be in the repos in a few days. If not, then 9.04 is
just around the corner. I can live with it at least that long.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Art Alexion

On Monday 26 January 2009 5:21:56 pm Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
> > 4.2 (a/k/a 4.1.96) in the PPA seems significanly more stable and
> > usable than the release 4.0-4.1. I highly recommend it.
> >

> > On 1/26/09, Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> > *
> >
> >> Well........it looks like I'm using 8.10/4.x beginning today. I've had
> >> ongoing issues with the video settings in 8.04/3.x for some time and it
> >> blew up again. I already had 8.10/4.x installed and all my major files
> >> were copied over to it so.....................
> >>
> >> I can't say I'm particularly happy with the situation
> >> but.................
> >>
> >> Asi es la vida.
> >>
> >> * *
> >
> > *
>
> I just hadn't really planned on a full migration just yet. I was
> thinking by 9.10. 4.1 is usable even with the things I'm not so crazy
> about. I guess the signature says it all.
>
> 4.2 is due out any time so I think I will just leave well enough alone
> till then. It should be in the repos in a few days. If not, then 9.04 is
> just around the corner. I can live with it at least that long.

Well, I take back my original statement anyway. Everything in 4.2 works
better and is more stable than 4.1... except the stuff I use the most...
quick launch which seems unconfigurable[1], and kmail which constantly
crashes.

[1] yeah, you can write your own .desktop files, but unlike older versions,
you can't configure auto-additon by popularity or drag and drop icons.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Billie Erin Walsh

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Monday 26 January 2009 5:21:56 pm Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>

>> I just hadn't really planned on a full migration just yet. I was
>> thinking by 9.10. 4.1 is usable even with the things I'm not so crazy
>> about. I guess the signature says it all.
>>
>> 4.2 is due out any time so I think I will just leave well enough alone
>> till then. It should be in the repos in a few days. If not, then 9.04 is
>> just around the corner. I can live with it at least that long.
>>

> Well, I take back my original statement anyway. Everything in 4.2 works
> better and is more stable than 4.1... except the stuff I use the most...
> quick launch which seems unconfigurable[1], and kmail which constantly
> crashes.
>
> [1] yeah, you can write your own .desktop files, but unlike older versions,
> you can't configure auto-additon by popularity or drag and drop icons.

Well, at least there's one bit of semi-good news. Quick Launch is coming
back......slowly. That was the one thing I missed most in 4.1. The
"Quick Launch" widget that someone pointed to wouldn't load because I
have 8.10-64 and it was only 32 bit. At least that was the error message
that popped up. In-com-pat-able.

--
- - Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Jonas Norlander

2009/1/27 Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net>:
> Well, at least there's one bit of semi-good news. Quick Launch is coming
> back......slowly. That was the one thing I missed most in 4.1. The
> "Quick Launch" widget that someone pointed to wouldn't load because I
> have 8.10-64 and it was only 32 bit. At least that was the error message
> that popped up. In-com-pat-able.

I have compiled it as a deb archive for Intrepid amd 64. I can mail it
off list to you if you want?

/ Jonas

Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Billie Erin Walsh

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2009/1/27 Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net>:
>
>> Well, at least there's one bit of semi-good news. Quick Launch is coming
>> back......slowly. That was the one thing I missed most in 4.1. The
>> "Quick Launch" widget that someone pointed to wouldn't load because I
>> have 8.10-64 and it was only 32 bit. At least that was the error message
>> that popped up. In-com-pat-able.
>>

> I have compiled it as a deb archive for Intrepid amd 64. I can mail it
> off list to you if you want?
>
> / Jonas

That would be much appreciated. Thank You.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:04 AM
Art Alexion

The one automatically installed on my 64 bit system came from the KDE 4.2 PPA.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Billie Erin Walsh

On 01/27/2009 Art Alexion wrote:

> Well, I take back my original statement anyway. Everything in 4.2 works
> better and is more stable than 4.1... except the stuff I use the most...
> quick launch which seems unconfigurable[1], and kmail which constantly
> crashes.
>
> [1] yeah, you can write your own .desktop files, but unlike older
versions,
> you can't configure auto-additon by popularity or drag and drop icons.

I got an answer, at least partially, to how to add applications to the
Quick Start thingy.

Right click . Add Icon> Browse . /usr/share/applications select the
application you want and click back out. Not very intuitive but effective.