Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Jens Strohschnitter

Default Problems with WLAN on ubuntu 7.10

> > I'm back from SuSE to ubuntu 7.10. But have a problem with connecting
> > my internet via wlan. Anything works fine, and drivers/devices are recognized
> > but I can't connect to the internet, because my notebook has no ip via dhcpd.
> >
> > Here are some informations about my systemenvironment:
> >
> > # uname -a
> > 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
> >
> > # lspci
> > 0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)
> >
> > # iwconfig
> > lo no wireless extensions.
> >
> > eth0 no wireless extensions.
> >
> > eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSIDff/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4311"
> > Mode:Managed Frequency=2.472 GHz Access Point: Invalid
> > Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=18 dBm
> > RTS thrff Fragment thrff
> > Encryption keyff
> > Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=-256 dBm Noise level=-256 dBm
> > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
> >

> > # /etc/network/intercaes
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > # ifconfig
> > eth1 Protokoll:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 00:19:7E:53:7A:08
> > UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> > RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:20 overruns:0 frame:0
> > TX packets:208 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
> > RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:8736 (8.5 KB)
> > Interrupt:17
> >

> > # /var/log/messages
> > dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found under /com/redhat/dhcp/eth1 for sub-path eth1.dbus.get.reason
> >

> > My notebook is a DELL Laptitude D620. So I think the problem is, that I can't get an ip-address via dhcp (shown
> > as above in the messages).
> >
> > So I hope someone can help me to fix my problem and makes me connecting the world ;-)
>
> Hi!
>
> What is the output of sudo iwlist eth1 scan ?

# iwlist eth1 scan
interface eth1 is not scanable!

Jens Strohschnitter

-------------------------------------
*!!!LINUX LINUX LINUX LINUX LINUX!!!*

* http://www.jens-strohschnitter.de *
-------------------------------------
Set the controls for
the heart of the sun
-------------------------------------

Raiffeisen Waren-Zentrale Rhein-Main eG
50668 Koeln, Altenberger Str. 1a

Tel: 0221/1638-0
Fax: 0221/1638-254

Sitz: Koeln

Amtsgericht Koeln, GnR 728

Geschaeftsfuehrender Vorstand:
Hans-Josef Hilgers (Sprecher)
Markus Stuettgen
Dr. Karl-Heinrich Suemmermann

Vorstand:
Friedhelm Decker (Vorsitzender)
Ingo Steitz

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates:
Peter Bleser (MdB)

St.Nr.: 215/5938/0152

Bankverbindung:
WGZ Bank AG, Duesseldorf
(BLZ 300 600 10) Konto-Nr.: 300 011

Old 12-29-2007, 06:18 AM

> # lspci
> 0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)

Broadcom is an unhappy choice of vendors for wireless chips on Linux
because they do **not** support Linux and do not release their drivers
for open source folks to work with. You will do better to buy and
install a different wireless card, one from a vendor who supports
Linux and releases a Linux driver for their product. Broadcom does
neither.

Intel or Orinoco wireless cards are happy choices for Linux
compatibility I think. Double check Linux compatibility of a specific
card before you buy of course. You want one compatible both with your
specific hardware *and* that has a Linux driver.

Anyone know a good list of Linux compatible wireless cards?

Alternatively you might try using the MS Windows driver for that
Broadcom card on Linux via NDIS wrapper.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

Cheers,

Roger