Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Donn

Default Is there some trick -- Yes! Get the path right.

> steven@Studio25:~$ wine path oprogramFullTiltSetup.exe
path oprogram is not a real path. It's an example.

Step 1:
*Always* know where things are.
If you are concerned with 'FullTiltSetup.exe' then MAKE SURE you are in the
SAME directory where it is.

*Only* you will know where that is -- you downloaded it after all.

Step 2:
Use the 'cd' command to go to the right place.

So, let's assume that it's on your desktop.
1. That path is ~/Desktop
[Note: ~ means /home/steven/ -- It's a shortcut. Use it.]
[Note: It's Captital 'D' for Desktop]

2. Therefore: cd ~/Desktop

Now, you can confirm that you are in the right place by looking at what files
there are in the directory. Use 'ls' for this. Look for the file you are
concerned with.

If it's not there, then do what you have to to find where you downloaded it
to. Then 'cd' to that place.

Only after all of that will you be ready to *do* anything with the file you
are concerned with.

Let's assume you are in the *right* place, so to use wine to run the program
you would:
wine FullTiltSetup.exe

After that we can see what happens and fix other problems.

Steven, I spent a lot of time doing those diagrams for you. Lots of other
people are also repeating themselves often. Please *take care* to type
carefully, follow the few simple rules (like knowing where you are) and you
should be 90% of the way to Linux bliss.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Steven Vollom

On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:31:53 am Donn wrote:

> Steven, I spent a lot of time doing those diagrams for you. Lots of other
> people are also repeating themselves often. Please *take care* to type
> carefully, follow the few simple rules (like knowing where you are) and you
> should be 90% of the way to Linux bliss.
I am sorry. I have so much that I am not sure of yet while working, I don't
always check back to those pages. It takes a while for me to remember things
anymore. In fact just remembering the things you sent is not a front lobe
event yet. I am getting better, though. In a very short time, you can get a
wall full of postits when you have my memory problem. So each time you
finish doing something, you have to read the entire wall and make a dicision
what is most important to do next. Pretty soon you are just reading the wall
with no time to accomplish anything. I am finding that the things I
concentrate on over and over become anchored memory after a while. So I just
keep repeating the process until something holds. If I offend you or make
you think I haven't taken your hard work serious, it is not true. I fear
alsheimers anymore because the effort to hold a memory seems to be getting
more difficult all the time. But I am not giving up. If you can forgive me,
I promise to be as careful in referring back as properly as I am able.
Thanks again for the wonderful help. If you can avoid it don't age; it is
not all it is cracked up to be, excepting the alternative. Believe it or
not, I am making great progress right now.

Steven

Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 14:03 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:31:53 am Donn wrote:
>
> > Steven, I spent a lot of time doing those diagrams for you. Lots of other
> > people are also repeating themselves often. Please *take care* to type
> > carefully, follow the few simple rules (like knowing where you are) and you
> > should be 90% of the way to Linux bliss.
> I am sorry. I have so much that I am not sure of yet while working, I don't
> always check back to those pages. It takes a while for me to remember things
> anymore. In fact just remembering the things you sent is not a front lobe
> event yet. I am getting better, though. In a very short time, you can get a
> wall full of postits when you have my memory problem. So each time you
> finish doing something, you have to read the entire wall and make a dicision
> what is most important to do next. Pretty soon you are just reading the wall
> with no time to accomplish anything. I am finding that the things I
> concentrate on over and over become anchored memory after a while. So I just
> keep repeating the process until something holds. If I offend you or make
> you think I haven't taken your hard work serious, it is not true. I fear
> alsheimers anymore because the effort to hold a memory seems to be getting
> more difficult all the time. But I am not giving up. If you can forgive me,
> I promise to be as careful in referring back as properly as I am able.
> Thanks again for the wonderful help. If you can avoid it don't age; it is
> not all it is cracked up to be, excepting the alternative. Believe it or
> not, I am making great progress right now.

It might be better and far less frustrating to use the things that you
can use. Wine has been a noble effort for years and years, There is
still much it -cannot- do. You, being new, do not know that. Me, if I
tried to use wine on some Windows .exe file and it didn't work the first
time, I'd give up and delete it. People cheered madly when it opened the
Windows clock.exe and displayed the time. Best to just forget it.
There's probably some scam involved in that poker thing anyway where the
first taste is for free. If it makes your head hurt, delete it.

Look for all the opportunities to install tested and working software
that has been pre-packaged by a bunch of dedicated hardworking people.
Because of them, there's games out the whazoo available to you, that are
better than the ones usually installed to Windows and you need only
mouse click to get at 'em. Go with the force Luke. Linux ain't and never
will be Windows or a Mac.

So, just go with the doable, until you get someone to help you learn
Linux by your side. It's really the only way in your situation. I had
scores of people help me. In return I have done likewise, paying my debt
forward to the next guy. Plus, you make new friends like that. People
you never knew existed who might be living in your own block.

Back in the early 70's we met in homes and when the crowd got too large,
public libraries. Our group grew to 150 members strong in a couple of
years. What a riot! That was back in the Apple][ days in Texas next to
the NASA Johnston Space Center. Plus, socializing is a great way to keep
the brain elastic, if you're concerned about the onset of memory loss.
I'm hitting 60 and, without socializing, I could see how it would affect
my own mind which I want to hang onto! Peace, Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Steven Vollom

Dear Ric,

Before I read this email, I pretty much decided to take the suggestions
included in this email to heart. Not knowing what things cause problems, I
simply stick my head down and trudge forward. Nonetheless, everyone on the
list proves that they have my best interest at heart, so I will take the
advice and let the things that are potentially a kettle of worms go. I wish
you could be that computer friend that you refer to.

Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood where everyone I have talked with has
no interest in computers. I think it is just that they don't think they
could handle the intellectual aspect of it, but no one has yet shown enough
interest for me to even help them get a free computer so they could try.

Cordially,

Steven

Old 01-29-2009, 06:09 PM
David McGlone

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 9:32:41 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> Dear Ric,
>
> Before I read this email, I pretty much decided to take the suggestions
> included in this email to heart. Not knowing what things cause problems, I
> simply stick my head down and trudge forward. Nonetheless, everyone on the
> list proves that they have my best interest at heart, so I will take the
> advice and let the things that are potentially a kettle of worms go. I
> wish you could be that computer friend that you refer to.
>
> Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood where everyone I have talked with
> has no interest in computers. I think it is just that they don't think
> they could handle the intellectual aspect of it, but no one has yet shown
> enough interest for me to even help them get a free computer so they could
> try.

Steven, I recall you saying you live in Dayton Ohio? If so, I am in Columbus.
Maybe someday we could meet up.

--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 21:32 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> Dear Ric,
>
> Before I read this email, I pretty much decided to take the suggestions
> included in this email to heart. Not knowing what things cause problems, I
> simply stick my head down and trudge forward. Nonetheless, everyone on the
> list proves that they have my best interest at heart, so I will take the
> advice and let the things that are potentially a kettle of worms go. I wish
> you could be that computer friend that you refer to.
>
> Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood where everyone I have talked with has
> no interest in computers. I think it is just that they don't think they
> could handle the intellectual aspect of it, but no one has yet shown enough
> interest for me to even help them get a free computer so they could try.

You could talk to everyone in the neighborhood and still miss the Linux
Geek! Isolationism is a common trait amongst geeks. You are right, it's
the "fear factor" that stops them from trying to use a computer. My
almost 80 year old mother is one of them. BUT! She will ask me to search
for things on the net, then I have to print them out and deliver them to
her. Maybe she just wants more attention??

But, find that local lug, I bet you'll find someone in your immediate
neighborhood. I have lived in some pretty bad places in my time, last
thing I would do is let the local crackheads know that I have a bunch of
computers. They wouldn't know an AMD64 system from a 486, they'd just
steal it anyway. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 14:09 -0500, David McGlone wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2009 9:32:41 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> > Dear Ric,
> >
> > Before I read this email, I pretty much decided to take the suggestions
> > included in this email to heart. Not knowing what things cause problems, I
> > simply stick my head down and trudge forward. Nonetheless, everyone on the
> > list proves that they have my best interest at heart, so I will take the
> > advice and let the things that are potentially a kettle of worms go. I
> > wish you could be that computer friend that you refer to.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood where everyone I have talked with
> > has no interest in computers. I think it is just that they don't think
> > they could handle the intellectual aspect of it, but no one has yet shown
> > enough interest for me to even help them get a free computer so they could
> > try.
>
> Steven, I recall you saying you live in Dayton Ohio? If so, I am in Columbus.
> Maybe someday we could meet up.

See?? Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-31-2009, 03:24 AM
Steven Vollom

> My
> almost 80 year old mother is one of them. BUT! She will ask me to search
> for things on the net, then I have to print them out and deliver them to
> her. Maybe she just wants more attention??

I am only 65, but I am not in perfect health and a shut in. All my family is
2400 miles from here, and the people I meet seem to like me and want to help
me, but just because I am old. I never have anyone to talk to. People will
help me get out to purchase something from time to time, but don't want to
come in and spend any time with me. I appreciate what they do, but I would
rather just have company. It gets so lonely. If I didn't have the list, I
would go crazy. Inside I am about 30 outside I am abut 100.

If you love her, visit her. That is what she wants most. She is probably
only about 30 on the inside too, regardless of her actual age. It sounds
like she is lonely too.

> But, find that local lug, I bet you'll find someone in your immediate
> neighborhood.

The only one I had any conversation with that was friendly turned out to be a
burglar. He robbed me twice before he died. The only other are a young
group of homosexuals next door, and I don't feel comfortable with them. They
are nice, but talk about things that pretty much make me ill to hear. I know
they don't realize how some hetrosexuals feel. I don't dislike them. I
don't feel superior. I don't even judge them, it is just when they talk
openly about the things they do and like to do, it just turns my stomach. I
can't help it.

> I have lived in some pretty bad places in my time, last
> thing I would do is let the local crackheads know that I have a bunch of
> computers. They wouldn't know an AMD64 system from a 486, they'd just
> steal it anyway. Ric

That is how it is here. Every time I let a neighbor in to get something they
need, like a tool or some milk or sugar, their eyes wander everywhere, not
interested in what they are seeing, just shopping for when I am not at home.

Every contact so far has cost me something. A camera, money, even a container
of wood glue worth very little. It is just that I have trouble getting out
to get things, and I needed the wood glue he stole, and I had just set it
down where I would not lose or misplace it, because I was on a project that
needed it when he came over. I turned my back for an instant, and when I
looked bace it was gone. Because I needed it so bad and would have so much
difficulty getting another, that 59 cent loss made me so angry, it was hard
to get over it.

Even a guy from the church who takes me to purchase food, steals food from me
every time we go. It is only between $15 and $30, but that is a lot when you
are on my low pension. Because of it, I have to eat mostly Top Ramen the
last few days of the month. It is so unbelievable, I am not able to cope or
understand it. I don't feel like a neighbor or friend, I feel like a victim.
Oh well, I don't have to worry about it for long, I am nearing the end of my
life. With all this going on, I still love my life. The List keeps me
smiling. I still love making art. And, my long distance relationship could
not be better.

Thanks for your kind help, friend.

Steven