Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Edmund Laugasson

Default How do I install a .bin. I downloaded a Java plugin needed to run some tests by the isp.

>> I am on a chat right now with a technician at AT&T. They sent me to have
>> tests run that require Windows or mac. There is a plugin required for Java
>> to run the tests. I downloaded it in .bin form the other form is rpm. I
>> can download that if necessary. Can anyone help me fast with a .bin
>> installation or give advice.
>
> type in console:
>
> sh <name of file>.bin

1) chmod a+x <filename>.bin
2) sudo ./<filename>.bin

"./" will execute the file, which as been mda executable by first command.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 PM
John Hubbard

Steven Vollom wrote:
>>> FYI,you can view text files with 'more', but then you can only scroll
>>> down. If you use the 'less' utility, then you can scroll up or down
>>>
> After the Sun statement, there is no cursor. I did not even know how to get
> out of the shell. To get out, I just close it.
>
> If I could enter a command, do I just enter 'more' and click enter?
>
> Steven

Any reason you are trying to install the bin? I believe that everything
you need can be had by doing a simple 'apt-get install sun-java6-jre'.
Some one correct me if I am wrong.

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Gene Heskett wrote:
> And TBT Matt, one of the reasons I haven't used 'more' in years, simply
> because 'less' is more, with lots more...

But most (http://www.jedsoft.org/most/) is best, and apt-gettable.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM
John Hubbard

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2009 5:23:20 pm Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>

>> Space bar also works, and scrolls a page at a time (enter scrolls a line
>> at a time).
>>
> Wow! Matt. The spacebar does work. Thanks. But none of the other
> suggestions, using the down arrows, etc. did not work on my computer. This
> is just great. I can now put this one to bed.
>
> Steven

I want to say that space bar gives you one line at a time and return
gives you one page at a time. If it is a long document you might find
that you prefer return.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 PM
John Hubbard

David McGlone wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2009 10:45:54 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
>

>> steven@Studio25:~/Desktop$ chmod a+x
>> /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin chmod: cannot access
>> `/home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
>> steven@Studio25:~/Desktop$
>>

> the problem with this command is you seem to have misspelled the word "full".
> You typed jre-6ull when it should be jre-6full.

Thanks for pointing that out David. The binary that he wants to install
is for the java runtime environment version 6 update 11. This becomes
truncated to jre-6u11. Note the number 1 not the letter l. I think that
this is part of Steven's problem. My suggestion would be for him to type

Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Matthew Flaschen

John Hubbard wrote:
> I want to say that space bar gives you one line at a time and return
> gives you one page at a time.

No, it's the other way around. Return gives you a line at a time, and
space gives you a page

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 16:04 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:36:39 am John Hubbard wrote:
> > chmod a+x ~/Des
>
> steven@Studio25:~$ ls -l /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 steven steven 20106959 2009-01-21
> 12:37 /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
> steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ~/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586
> chmod: cannot access `/home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586': No such file
> or directory
> steven@Studio25:~$
>
> I believe I did as you suggest.
>
> Steven

Steven, what you are attempting is gonna open up a can of worms. For you
and the list. First, you are running a nice system that is built up
using (k)ubuntu packages. You have the choice of several package
managers that will install files for you (including java) completely
automagically. This system puts the working parts of these packages into
the correct scheme of things. Now, you are about to introduce a "wild
card". A self extracting program that will put parts of itself wherever
it wants to. And, sometimes that is -not good at all- , especially for
the newbie. Nosiree. Then, if it breaks or deviates from the Ubuntu way,
you're hosed and this list will be so full of requests by you, many a
heart will be broken.

So, gently and non-destructively do this instead.
In a terminal window just type: java -version

See what you already have on your machine. Then, when you talk to the
techie ask him what version he requires. He will tell you. But, you'll
know for sure that you already have java running and have not wrecked
your installation.

Now, the crust of the biscuit. In order to be doing whatever requires
you to be using Java, does it require you to also be using a browser,
like Firefox and that you need Java for that?? A whole 'nother topic,
"How to install Java into Firefox". There are a zillion links if you
just google just using `ubuntu firefox java` in your search.

If not, and you need an upgrade, that bin file will walk all over what
you already have nicely and safely installed for you. Me, I use the bin
files if I must absolutely do so, as a lot of my work is in java, but
check out my linuxcounter user# ...I've done this a bunch before and
have had my share of troubles doing so. What you are about to do is not
safe AT ALL for a newbie.

Avoid at all costs until you get some sort of basic education in Linux,
which is on you to do. If you haven't seen tab completion on the command
line, I highly suggest joining a local LUG (Linux User Group) and if
there isn't one, start one. You really really really need someone
sitting right at your side showing you this stuff. Then it's a breeze,
once you've seen it. I've set up three computer user groups over the
past 25 years. You don't have to be the Guru, just the instigator.
<grins> But I'm not thinking you get the complete picture of what that
tech is asking of you, so we don't get it either. Just fire up the
package manager of your choice and search on java. See if the version
you have installed isn't waiting to be merely upgraded. That would save
you SO much hurt in the long run.

Sincerely, Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 21:08 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:

> The thought of having someone sitting along side who is able to talk about a
> problem while it is happening sounds just delicious, though. Oh well, I can
> not complain, I still love my life with all its problems, and I especially
> love all of you who have been so kind this past several months.
>
> Cordially and as always thanks,

Then there is one thing to consider, check out the LUG in the nearest
location, join their email list, if they have one and just describe your
condition and ask some one to come over sometime and help you with some
free lessons. I would bet you would get more than one taker and make
some friends. Make a batch of cookies. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 03:22 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> > Then there is one thing to consider, check out the LUG in the nearest
> > location, join their email list, if they have one and just describe your
> > condition and ask some one to come over sometime and help you with some
> > free lessons. I would bet you would get more than one taker and make
> > some friends. Make a batch of cookies. Ric
>
> I feel pretty stupid again. That is a great idea. I guess I have gotten to
> the point where I have to ask for help to get my food and medicine; I hate to
> impose on others, but can't think of a way to avoid the problem and still eat
> and get my medicine. For a few months, my helpers have made me wait until I
> was out of medicine for about 3 days; each time I feel in trouble by the time
> I get the meds again. Same with food, but that is a couple of weeks past
> when I need to shop now. Because of that, my impositions feel so great the
> idea never occurred to me. I will do that, though. Computer people seem to
> love it a lot, and I know I enjoy the conversation and the sometime help I am
> able to give others, so maybe there is someone like me, who won't mind
> spending a few hours now and then with me. It sure would be great. Thanks
> for the great idea, Ric.

Dealing with isolation is a royal bitch. I know about that and
depression. Linux people are great, especially when they encounter
another who is isolated, we're geeks and can spend too much keyboard
time and forget how to relate to others. That's why I like user groups
and Lugs. While it may be a room full of geeks, at least you're not
alone and with people of like interests! I hope you have some strong
deadbolts though. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987