Old 01-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Steven Vollom

Default Is there some trick installing a .exe file using Wine?

I have been watching a poker program on late night TV, 2am. They suggest I
can play for free with playmoney. I downloaded the package, which is
an .exe, but I don't know how to install it. Can you help me.

Steven

Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 PM
John Hubbard

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I have been watching a poker program on late night TV, 2am. They suggest I
> can play for free with playmoney. I downloaded the package, which is
> an .exe, but I don't know how to install it. Can you help me.
>
> Steven

Try typing in a terminal (or from the run command dialogue)
wine path oprogramplaymoney.exe
Write back and let us know what errors you get.

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Edmund Laugasson

>> I have been watching a poker program on late night TV, 2am. They suggest I
>> can play for free with playmoney. I downloaded the package, which is
>> an .exe, but I don't know how to install it. Can you help me.
> Try typing in a terminal (or from the run command dialogue)
> wine path oprogramplaymoney.exe
> Write back and let us know what errors you get.

env WINEPREFIX="/home/steven/.wine" wine "C:downloadsPlaymoneyPlaymoney.exe"

... if your downloaded filename is Playmoney.exe and username is steven.

Wine configuration command is winecfg from Linux command line, where the drive C: is ../drive_c in
the tab "Drives". there is also the button "Autodetect", which is useful and after pressing that
these settings can be saved by pressing "Apply" button.

that "../drive_c" is located in Linux filesystem at /home/steven/.wine/drive_c

So, you can add folders in Linux in Wine config as drive you want.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:33:46 pm Edmund Laugasson wrote:
> env WINEPREFIX="/home/steven/.wine" wine
> "C:downloadsPlaymoneyPlaymoney.exe"

steven@Studio25:~$ env WINEPREFIX="homesteven.wine"
wine "CdownloadsFullTiltSetupFullTiltSetup.exe

The cursor ended where the little green arrow is. Is that correct. And if it
is, what do I do now? That did not install the FullTiltSetup.exe, did it?

Steven

Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:06:48 pm John Hubbard wrote:

> Try typing in a terminal (or from the run command dialogue)
> wine path oprogramplaymoney.exe

steven@Studio25:~$ wine path oprogramplaymoney.exe
err:module:import_dll Library TDI.SYS (which is needed by L"C:
PROG~FBUSPEE~4WLsbbotdi.sys") not found
err:winedevice:ServiceMain driver L"sbbotdi" failed to load
wine: could not load L"c:windowssystem32pathtoprogramplaymoney.exe":
Module not found
steven@Studio25:~$

This is way over my head.

Steven

Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:33:46 pm Edmund Laugasson wrote:
>> env WINEPREFIX="/home/steven/.wine" wine
>> "C:downloadsPlaymoneyPlaymoney.exe"
>
> steven@Studio25:~$ env WINEPREFIX="homesteven.wine"
> wine "CdownloadsFullTiltSetupFullTiltSetup.exe
>
> The cursor ended where the little green arrow is. Is that correct. And if it
> is, what do I do now? That did not install the FullTiltSetup.exe, did it?

Try:

cd /home/steven/.wine/drive_c/
cd downloads
cd FullTiltSetup
wine ./FullTiltSetup.exe

Post the output.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:06:48 pm John Hubbard wrote:
>
>> Try typing in a terminal (or from the run command dialogue)
>> wine path oprogramplaymoney.exe
>
> steven@Studio25:~$ wine path oprogramplaymoney.exe

That path was only an example. You need to substitute the actual path
of the program.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-21-2009, 10:41 PM
John Hubbard

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:06:48 pm John Hubbard wrote:
>

>> Try typing in a terminal (or from the run command dialogue)
>> wine path oprogramplaymoney.exe
>>

> steven@Studio25:~$ wine path oprogramplaymoney.exe
> err:module:import_dll Library TDI.SYS (which is needed by L"C:
> PROG~FBUSPEE~4WLsbbotdi.sys") not found
> err:winedevice:ServiceMain driver L"sbbotdi" failed to load
> wine: could not load L"c:windowssystem32pathtoprogramplaymoney.exe":
> Module not found
> steven@Studio25:~$
>
> This is way over my head.
>
> Steven

Sorry to jump over your head. I made the assumption that the program
that you wanted to run was called playmoney.exe. From one of the other
posts it looks like that was wrong. So let me try to walk you through
this. And as a warning I am not trying to seem condescending I am just
tying to make this really simple. If it is too simple let me know what
is obvious and I will be less verbose. I will prefix all terminal
commands with '>' don't type the > just type everything after it.
First do you know where you have saved the program that you want to run?
If you downloaded it with firefox I would expect it to be in the
directory /home/seven/Desktop. (It would appear on your desktop.) If not
we will have to find it. First open a terminal. We will start looking
using the command list. Type
>ls
This should give you a list of directories and files in your home
directory. If you see the program there you are done. Otherwise start
working though the directories until you find it. To change into another
directory say Desktop type
>cd Desktop
Then use 'ls' to check that directory. If you don't see it and the
directory has no sub directories type
>cd ..
This will move you back up to the parent directory. When you have
finally found it type
>pwd
to show you what directory you are in.
OK now that we have found it we need to run it. Lets assume the file is
called foo.exe (replace with your actual file name). There are a couple
of ways to do that. If you have changed into the directory of the file
with cd you can just type
>wine foo.exe
But if you aren't in the file you need to type the full path to the
file. This path is the same as the output from the pwd (print working
directory) command. Assume that pwd returned "/home/steven/Desktop"
you could type either
>wine /home/steven/Desktop/foo.exe
or
>wine ~/Desktop/foo.exe
the ~/ tells it to use YOUR home directory.

The shell is pretty smart but it isn't a genius. The program wine is in
your path. Meaning that the shell knows to look in /usr/bin to find the
program wine. If you ever want to know where your shell will look for
programs type
>echo $PATH
Your are actually executing the program wine and it is taking as an
argument the .exe file that you want run.

For fun sometime try wondering around your computer with the 'cd'
command. See what files are where with the 'ls' command. One of my
favorite things about how kubuntu comes set up is the auto-complete
feature. For example if you are in your home directory and you type
>cd Des[press the tab key]
the shell will try to complete the command for you and you will be left
with a screen that shows
>cd Desktop
This also works with wine. If you have found the .exe you can type
>wine foo[press the tab key]
and you will get
>wine foo.exe
Play around with auto compete as it will let you type long file names
much faster. Sometimes hit the tab key twice and it will give you a list
of possible completions. This work for both the argument (foo.exe) and
the command (wine).

Hope this helps and let me know if something is unclear or if you need
more help.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 PM
John DeCarlo

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I have been watching a poker program on late night TV, 2am. *They suggest I

can play for free with playmoney. *I downloaded the package, which is

an .exe, but I don't know how to install it. *Can you help me.

You don't need the command line, if you find that confusing.

Click on "FullTiltPoker.exe"* - if "Wine" is installed, it will invoke it and install it for you.* Then it should show up in your menu, under Wine.

Or, to be safe, go into the installer and search on "wine" and install it, if not installed.*

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34091576500&ref=mf

Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Billie Walsh

John DeCarlo wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Steven Vollom
> <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net <mailto:stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
>
> I have been watching a poker program on late night TV, 2am. They
> suggest I
> can play for free with playmoney. I downloaded the package, which is
> an .exe, but I don't know how to install it. Can you help me.
>

> You don't need the command line, if you find that confusing.
>
> Click on "FullTiltPoker.exe" - if "Wine" is installed, it will invoke
> it and install it for you. Then it should show up in your menu, under
> Wine.
>
> Or, to be safe, go into the installer and search on "wine" and install
> it, if not installed.
>

> --
> John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
> http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34091576500&ref=mf
> <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34091576500&ref=mf>
Yes.

In my experience with Windows programs if it is properly installed in
WINE it will put an icon on your desktop.

Be aware that not all Windows programs will run in WINE [ winehq,org ].
I've had some pretty good luck but................

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.