Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Ric Moore

Default Is there some trick installing a .exe file using Wine?

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 16:52 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:

> I am also aware of that, however, it tried to install when I knew from another
> attempt indicated missing files, that the missing files are the probable
> reason. The package is not a necessary thing, and I don't even gamble. I
> just got interested in the play when I saw a TV program about it. I am
> always alone and thought it might be a way to spend a little time.

There's already a ton of poker games, card games, board games ready to
be installed easily using your package manager. adept or synaptic works
nicely. Just click on what you want, it'll happen all by itself. Use
"games" in the search bar, then read the descriptions. (without the
quotes) Piece O' cake. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Billie Erin Walsh

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 16:27 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>
>> Steven Vollom wrote:
>>
>>> steven@Studio25:~/.wine/drive_c$ >wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe
>>> bash: /home/steven/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe: Permission denied
>>>
>> You have a typo. Remove the > to get:
>>
>> wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe
>>
>> However, wine may not fully support the program.
>>

> No one has asked if the program .exe file will run at all within the
> wine install he has. If the program was created for Windows Vista,
> probably not. Ric

I've mentioned a couple times that not _everything_ from the windows
world will run in WINE. A lot of stuff will and that's cool. Some stuff
only partially works with WINE. Those are probably the most frustrating
because it _ALMOST_ works.

I'm with Ric. If I install and it won't work I just move on. If it's a
mission critical something I keep a windows machine running. [ 99% of
the time it just sits in the corner running BOINC/SETI to keep it busy ]

For _almost_ everything you want to do there _IS_ a Linux counterpart.
Want to play poker online there is a Texas Hold'em available through
the repos. I can't remember the name right off [ kpokerth or something ]
but it should show up if you put "poker" in the synaptic search box. You
can play either online or not. I think the computer cheats if your not
online playing against real people. *<]D

Pretty much the only "mission critical" piece of software I use that
won't run in WINE is Microsoft Streets and Trips and I haven't found a
descent Linux replacement for. I'm sure others may have others.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 AM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 5:23:54 pm Ric Moore wrote:
> wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe

Apparently a Synthesizer is not supported. Do I just stop trying then?

steven@Studio25:~$ wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe
fixme:midi:OSS_MidiInit Synthesizer supports MIDI in. Not yet supported.
steven@Studio25:~$

Thanks friend,

Steven

Old 01-29-2009, 01:13 AM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 5:29:11 pm Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 16:52 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I am also aware of that, however, it tried to install when I knew from
> > another attempt indicated missing files, that the missing files are the
> > probable reason. The package is not a necessary thing, and I don't even
> > gamble. I just got interested in the play when I saw a TV program about
> > it. I am always alone and thought it might be a way to spend a little
> > time.
>
> There's already a ton of poker games, card games, board games ready to
> be installed easily using your package manager. adept or synaptic works
> nicely. Just click on what you want, it'll happen all by itself. Use
> "games" in the search bar, then read the descriptions. (without the
> quotes) Piece O' cake. Ric
Thanks, I will

Steven

Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Steven Vollom

> Want to play poker online there is a Texas Hold'em available through
> the repos. I can't remember the name right off [ kpokerth or something ]
> but it should show up if you put "poker" in the synaptic search box. You
> can play either online or not. I think the computer cheats if your not
> online playing against real people. *<]D

I am going to try your advice, even though I am prepared to move on. Thanks!

Steven

Old 01-30-2009, 07:23 PM
John DeCarlo

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 16:27 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > steven@Studio25:~/.wine/drive_c$ >wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe
> > bash: /home/steven/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe: Permission denied

> You have a typo. *Remove the > to get:
>
> wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe
>
> However, wine may not fully support the program.

No one has asked if the program .exe file will run at all within the

wine install he has. If the program was created for Windows Vista,
probably not. Ric

*
Well,
*
I can say that Full Tilt Poker runs OK under Wine on my system at home.* It is basically Kubuntu 8.04 with Mythbuntu, too.* Nvidia proprietary driver.
*

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34091576500&ref=mf