Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Steven Vollom

Default Is there some trick installing a .exe file using Wine?

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 6:41:28 pm John Hubbard wrote:
> >wine ~/Desktop

steven@Studio25:~$ cd /home/steven/.wine/drive_c/
steven@Studio25:~/.wine/drive_c$ cd downloads
bash: cd: downloads: No such file or directory
steven@Studio25:~/.wine/drive_c$ cd FullTiltSetup
bash: cd: FullTiltSetup: No such file or directory
steven@Studio25:~/.wine/drive_c$ wine ./FullTiltSetup.exe
wine: cannot find './FullTiltSetup.exe'
steven@Studio25:~/.wine/drive_c$ >wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe
bash: /home/steven/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe: Permission denied
steven@Studio25:~/.wine/drive_c$

What is the Permission denied about?

Steven

Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 6:41:28 pm John Hubbard wrote:
> >wine ~/Desktop

Desktop Music
disks.txt My eBooks
Documents MyFriendsAddresses.ldif
eBayISAPI.dll_files nohup.out
eBayISAPI.dll.html PDF
epayconfirmpayment.aspx_files Personal Address Book.ldif
epayconfirmpayment.aspx.html Personal Address Book.vcf.ldif
e-Sword Pictures
image001.jpg Public
JackAvatar.xcf sdb3
jre1.6.0_11 space_report.txt
media Templates
<mount point> Tim.doc
mozilla.pdf xorg.conf
steven@Studio25:~$ de Desktop
bash: de: command not found
steven@Studio25:~$ ls
Desktop Music
disks.txt My eBooks
Documents MyFriendsAddresses.ldif
eBayISAPI.dll_files nohup.out
eBayISAPI.dll.html PDF
epayconfirmpayment.aspx_files Personal Address Book.ldif
epayconfirmpayment.aspx.html Personal Address Book.vcf.ldif
e-Sword Pictures
image001.jpg Public
JackAvatar.xcf sdb3
jre1.6.0_11 space_report.txt
media Templates
<mount point> Tim.doc
mozilla.pdf xorg.conf
steven@Studio25:~$ cd
steven@Studio25:~$ pwd
/home/steven
steven@Studio25:~$

I don't see the FullTiltSetup.exe mentioned. It is there, on the screen.

I am confused.

Steven

Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Steven Vollom wrote:
> steven@Studio25:~/.wine/drive_c$ >wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe
> bash: /home/steven/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe: Permission denied

You have a typo. Remove the > to get:

wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe

However, wine may not fully support the program.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 9:55:26 pm Billie Walsh wrote:
> John DeCarlo wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Steven Vollom
> > <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net <mailto:stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
> >
> > I have been watching a poker program on late night TV, 2am. They
> > suggest I
> > can play for free with playmoney. I downloaded the package, which is
> > an .exe, but I don't know how to install it. Can you help me.
> >

> > You don't need the command line, if you find that confusing.
> >
> > Click on "FullTiltPoker.exe" - if "Wine" is installed, it will invoke
> > it and install it for you.

I have left the post untrimmed to keep everything available. I have answered
this before, but I am not sure I am understood.

When I click on FullTiltSetup.exe, it attempts to install. First a window
appears to provide the language to be used. When I click OK on that choice,
the program trys to install. A progress window opens and goes mostly to the
end and stops. It stops like it is frozen or like a crash.

I have been responding to so many different entries on this problem that I am
confused how to get back to an important piece of help. I will try to share
what I remember. I was presented with some code that was supposed to execute
the package using a shell. Immidiately the computer suggested that some
files were missing including some .dll's. Then the computer continued to try
to execute something, about four lines of information that just repeated over
and over. It appeared to stop, so I copied and pasted the information and
replied to sender. I then went to work on other things. I returned about an
hour or more later and found that that repeating of the four lines had
continued and that the list almost had no end. I was worried about using too
much disk space, so I closed the shell to stop it. By doing so, I lost the
identity of the missing .dll's and other missing files.

I think I am missing necessary files to make wine work properly. I believe I
understand the proper command to get the package installed providing the
missing files are installed. Because I am in a windows environment in wine,
I am not confident how to get the missing files and then to install them.
And right now, I don't know how to get back to the point where the missing
files are mentioned. Is this a problem you can help me with?

Steven

> > Then it should show up in your menu, under
> > Wine.
> >
> > Or, to be safe, go into the installer and search on "wine" and install
> > it, if not installed.
> >

> > --
> > John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
> > http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34091576500&ref=mf
> > <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34091576500&ref=mf>
>
> Yes.
>
> In my experience with Windows programs if it is properly installed in
> WINE it will put an icon on your desktop.

The package is definately not installed

> Be aware that not all Windows programs will run in WINE [ winehq,org ].
> I've had some pretty good luck but................

I am optimistic that this package will install in wine, I just think I need to
install some missing files.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Donn

On Thursday, 22 January 2009 23:19:26 Steven Vollom wrote:
> I don't see the FullTiltSetup.exe mentioned. *It is there, on the screen.
cd ~/Desktop
ls

Old 01-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 9:55:26 pm Billie Walsh wrote:

> > John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
> > http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34091576500&ref=mf

This is a very sad post. I don't understand why it was included, but I will
pray for those involved. He seemed such a wonderful boy. Many times in my
live I have lived in a way that doesn't deserve the life the boy should have
had. It is difficult to understand why. But according to my beliefs, if he
was a Christian, it is a reward, for living on this earth, especially under
the conditions which we live, it is not a difficult choice between here and
paradise. And I still love my life here. My concern is for those who are
grieving, and I can't do much but pray for them. I will. I am very sorry
for your loss.
> > <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34091576500&ref=mf>
>
> Yes.
>
> In my experience with Windows programs if it is properly installed in
> WINE it will put an icon on your desktop.

Right now, I am not sure if Wine is properly installed. I keep updating my
computer, so if things are missing, I don't know why.

> Be aware that not all Windows programs will run in WINE [ winehq,org ].
> I've had some pretty good luck but................

I am also aware of that, however, it tried to install when I knew from another
attempt indicated missing files, that the missing files are the probable
reason. The package is not a necessary thing, and I don't even gamble. I
just got interested in the play when I saw a TV program about it. I am
always alone and thought it might be a way to spend a little time.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Steven Vollom

I may have it right now. Here is the result you all have been trying to get
into my rock-hard brain. Sorry, but I think I only have about two electrons
spinning in my brain, and they don't make contact very often. Look at this:

steven@Studio25:~$ cd ~/Desktop
steven@Studio25:~/Desktop$ wine FullTiltSetup.exe
fixme:midi:OSS_MidiInit Synthesizer supports MIDI in. Not yet supported.

Is there a work-around for this, or does that finish it. You guys are so
amazing to have such patience with me. When I finally figure out what I did
that is stopping forward progress, I am stunned by your patience.

It is like me checking my sum of numbers and wrongly repeating myself in my
mind saying 2+2=5 and making the same mistake over and over, because I don't
realize I am repeating the same mistake. Sorry!

Thank you.
Steven

Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Steven Vollom

On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:52:35 am John Hubbard wrote:

> As I think I said in my other (rather lengthy post) wine is 'in your
> path' and the shell will find it. You should cd to the location of
> FullTiltSetup.exe. Then type
>
> > wine FullTiltSetup.exe

steven@Studio25:~$ cd ~/Desktop
steven@Studio25:~/Desktop$ wine FullTiltSetup.exe
fixme:midi:OSS_MidiInit Synthesizer supports MIDI in. Not yet supported.
fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x3228ac) using GetSystemInfo()

I chose English, next the installation started to proceed. It froze on the
second progress window. Is there any work around for the fixme comments?

Steven

Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Is there a work-around for this

Probably not. It is a deficiency in wine itself. You could try
upgrading wine, but realize that may not help at all.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 16:27 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > steven@Studio25:~/.wine/drive_c$ >wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe
> > bash: /home/steven/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe: Permission denied
>
> You have a typo. Remove the > to get:
>
> wine ~/Desktop/FullTiltSetup.exe
>
> However, wine may not fully support the program.

No one has asked if the program .exe file will run at all within the
wine install he has. If the program was created for Windows Vista,
probably not. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987