Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Steven Vollom

Default How do I install a .bin. I downloaded a Java plugin needed to run some tests by the isp.

I am on a chat right now with a technician at AT&T. They sent me to have
tests run that require Windows or mac. There is a plugin required for Java
to run the tests. I downloaded it in .bin form the other form is rpm. I can
download that if necessary. Can anyone help me fast with a .bin installation
or give advice.

STeven

Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 PM
David McGlone

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 12:45:23 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> I am on a chat right now with a technician at AT&T. They sent me to have
> tests run that require Windows or mac. There is a plugin required for Java
> to run the tests. I downloaded it in .bin form the other form is rpm. I
> can download that if necessary. Can anyone help me fast with a .bin
> installation or give advice.

type in console:

sh <name of file>.bin
--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Steven Vollom

> type in console:
>
> sh <name of file>.bin
Dear David,

I did as you suggested and got the following. Notice that it doesn't include
the acceptance of terms as it says. I can't get it to continue. Can you see
what I need to do?

steven@Studio25:~$ sh /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
Sun Microsystems, Inc. Binary Code License Agreement

for the JAVA SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT (JRE) VERSION 6 and
JAVAFX RUNTIME VERSION 1

SUN MICROSYSTEMS, INC. ("SUN") IS WILLING TO LICENSE THE
SOFTWARE IDENTIFIED BELOW TO YOU ONLY UPON THE CONDITION
THAT YOU ACCEPT ALL OF THE TERMS CONTAINED IN THIS BINARY
CODE LICENSE AGREEMENT AND SUPPLEMENTAL LICENSE TERMS
(COLLECTIVELY "AGREEMENT"). PLEASE READ THE AGREEMENT
CAREFULLY. BY DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE, YOU
ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT. INDICATE ACCEPTANCE BY
SELECTING THE "ACCEPT" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THE
AGREEMENT. IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO BE BOUND BY ALL THE
TERMS, SELECT THE "DECLINE" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THE
AGREEMENT AND THE DOWNLOAD OR INSTALL PROCESS WILL NOT
CONTINUE.

1. DEFINITIONS. "Software" means the identified above in
binary form, any other machine readable materials
(including, but not limited to, libraries, source files,
header files, and data files), any updates or error
corrections provided by Sun, and any user manuals,
--More--

Steven

Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Geoffrey Bays

Steven:

Just keep hitting enter so that the 'more' utility will scroll down.
Then you should see a prompt for
agreeing with the license. Type 'Y' or 'yes' as it instructs, and the
installation should proceed.
Thus 'More' at the end is not just an English word, but a Linux utility.

FYI,you can view text files with 'more', but then you can only scroll
down. If you use the 'less' utility, then you can scroll up or down
with the up/down arrows.

Cheers,

Geoffrey

Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Steven Vollom

> FYI,you can view text files with 'more', but then you can only scroll
> down. If you use the 'less' utility, then you can scroll up or down
> with the up/down arrows.

I did that and it doesn't move. The computer makes that boink sound to let
you know you are at the end.

Steven

Old 01-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Geoffrey Bays

Try 'sudo sh.....'
You probably need to start the install command with sudo.
Just a hunch here.

Cheers,

Geoffrey

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Steven Vollom

Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 PM
David McGlone

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 1:35:25 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> > type in console:
> >
> > sh <name of file>.bin
>
> Dear David,
>
> I did as you suggested and got the following. Notice that it doesn't
> include the acceptance of terms as it says. I can't get it to continue.
> Can you see what I need to do?
>
> steven@Studio25:~$ sh /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
> Sun Microsystems, Inc. Binary Code License Agreement
>
> for the JAVA SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT (JRE) VERSION 6 and
> JAVAFX RUNTIME VERSION 1
>
> SUN MICROSYSTEMS, INC. ("SUN") IS WILLING TO LICENSE THE
> SOFTWARE IDENTIFIED BELOW TO YOU ONLY UPON THE CONDITION
> THAT YOU ACCEPT ALL OF THE TERMS CONTAINED IN THIS BINARY
> CODE LICENSE AGREEMENT AND SUPPLEMENTAL LICENSE TERMS
> (COLLECTIVELY "AGREEMENT"). PLEASE READ THE AGREEMENT
> CAREFULLY. BY DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE, YOU
> ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT. INDICATE ACCEPTANCE BY
> SELECTING THE "ACCEPT" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THE
> AGREEMENT. IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO BE BOUND BY ALL THE
> TERMS, SELECT THE "DECLINE" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THE
> AGREEMENT AND THE DOWNLOAD OR INSTALL PROCESS WILL NOT
> CONTINUE.
>
> 1. DEFINITIONS. "Software" means the identified above in
> binary form, any other machine readable materials
> (including, but not limited to, libraries, source files,
> header files, and data files), any updates or error
> corrections provided by Sun, and any user manuals,

it worked, you need to use the down arrow key to scroll down to the bottom or
use page down button until you get to the bottom and accept the terms and it
will install.
--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-21-2009, 06:48 PM
David McGlone

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 1:56:48 pm Geoffrey Bays wrote:
> Try 'sudo sh.....'
> You probably need to start the install command with sudo.
> Just a hunch here.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Geoffrey
>
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Steven Vollom
>
> <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >> FYI,you can view text files with 'more', but then you can only scroll
> >> down. If you use the 'less' utility, then you can scroll up or down
> >> with the up/down arrows.
> >
> > I did that and it doesn't move. The computer makes that boink sound to
> > let you know you are at the end.

Yes, this is true. I forgot to tell him to use kdesudo

--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:17:03 pm Edmund Laugasson wrote:
> sudo ./
steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
steven@Studio25:~$ chmod ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
chmod: missing operand after `./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin'
Try `chmod --help' for more information.
steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
chmod: cannot access `./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin': No such
file or directory
steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
chmod: cannot access `./home/steven/Desktop': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
]steven@Studio25:~$ ]

Both the debian .bin and the .rpm are on my desktop. Desktop is properly
capitalized. The title came from the desktop icon for the .bin. What have I
done wrong?

Steven

Old 01-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:47:34 pm David McGlone wrote:

> it worked, you need to use the down arrow key to scroll down to the bottom
> or use page down button until you get to the bottom and accept the terms
> and it will install.

I don't think so. When I attempt to scroll down, it makes a boink sound. It
is a sound that tells you you are at the end of a piece of work. When you
scroll up and get to the top of what you see printed, it boinks there too.
It was suggested by another that I write more. When at the bottom of the
page, there is no cursor to make an entry. In fact I can see no way to get
out of the shell other than to close it with the X.

You are not the only one to tell me to scroll down; it just won't scroll,
using the arrow keys or the scrollbar. It won't move past where it is and
you can't scroll up past what you see on the screen. And there is no cursor
to type a command. I wish there was someone here to see what I am saying.

Steven