Old 01-22-2009, 10:57 PM
David McGlone

Default How do I install a .bin. I downloaded a Java plugin needed to run some tests by the isp.

On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:36:39 am John Hubbard wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 January 2009 10:45:54 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> >> steven@Studio25:~/Desktop$ chmod a+x
> >> /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin chmod: cannot access
> >> `/home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin': No such file or
> >> directory steven@Studio25:~/Desktop$
> >
> > the problem with this command is you seem to have misspelled the word
> > "full". You typed jre-6ull when it should be jre-6full.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out David. The binary that he wants to install
> is for the java runtime environment version 6 update 11. This becomes
> truncated to jre-6u11. Note the number 1 not the letter l. I think that
> this is part of Steven's problem. My suggestion would be for him to type
>
> > chmod a+x ~/Des[press the tab key] (this will auto complete Desktop
>
> and then finish...
>
> > chmod a+x ~/Desktop/jre[press the tab key] (to auto complete the binary)
> > chmod a+x ~/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin (then press enter.)

You're right. My bad. I do recall having change execute privileges in the past
when I manually installed java. Now days I just apt-get the .deb.
--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 PM
David McGlone

On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:14:31 am John Hubbard wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 January 2009 5:23:20 pm Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> >> Space bar also works, and scrolls a page at a time (enter scrolls a line
> >> at a time).
> >
> > Wow! Matt. The spacebar does work. Thanks. But none of the other
> > suggestions, using the down arrows, etc. did not work on my computer.
> > This is just great. I can now put this one to bed.
> >
> > Steven
>
> I want to say that space bar gives you one line at a time and return
> gives you one page at a time. If it is a long document you might find
> that you prefer return.

Thats what I originally thought also, but I was wrong. It's been a while since
I've had to do it, but it turns out it's the space bar that "turns the page"
:-)

--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-22-2009, 11:01 PM
David McGlone

On Thursday 22 January 2009 3:43:22 pm Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> John Hubbard wrote:
> > I want to say that space bar gives you one line at a time and return
> > gives you one page at a time.
>
> No, it's the other way around. Return gives you a line at a time, and
> space gives you a page

No it's the other way around, oh heck i'm all mixed up now. Pi** on it I'll
just install the .deb and be done with it. :-)

--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 AM
Steven Vollom

> So, gently and non-destructively do this instead.
> In a terminal window just type: java -version

steven@Studio25:~$ java -version
java version "1.5.0"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)

steven@Studio25:~$

> Now, the crust of the biscuit. In order to be doing whatever requires
> you to be using Java, does it require you to also be using a browser,
> like Firefox and that you need Java for that??

I haven't noticed and don't remember.

> "How to install Java into Firefox". There are a zillion links if you
> just google just using `ubuntu firefox java` in your search.

As you can see, I have Java installed. I usually use Konqueror anymore
though. I am trying to get dependent on using all Kubuntu and KDE packages.

> If not, and you need an upgrade, that bin file will walk all over what
> you already have nicely and safely installed for you. Me, I use the bin
> files if I must absolutely do so, as a lot of my work is in java, but
> check out my linuxcounter user# ...I've done this a bunch before and
> have had my share of troubles doing so. What you are about to do is not
> safe AT ALL for a newbie.

I did not realize the danger. I just have difficulty downloading and
installing .bins that are offered on the web, as opposed to .bins that are
included in the package manager. Once in a while there is a package offered
that is highly recommended by a poster, that has to be downloaded and
installed. When it does not install using what kubuntu has provided, I still
want to use the package if it can safely be installed. Nonetheless it is
never that crucial. I can easily live without all the bells and whistles.

As you probably know, I am totally alone in my life and unable to change that
circumstance, so when I see something like the ability to play, competing
with others over the net, an interesting thing like Full Tilt Poker, it would
be entertaining to be able to do that. And since it is free, I risk nothing
in the process. I have lived almost 66 years without it, so I won't suffer
not being able to play. I do know someone who plays it free all the time.
That is what he likes to talk about when we communicate.

You guys have always been so kind to me, I will take your advice on this
matter and let it go. Thanks my friend. No need to open a kettle of worms
for others.

> Avoid at all costs until you get some sort of basic education in Linux,
> which is on you to do. If you haven't seen tab completion on the command
> line, I highly suggest joining a local LUG (Linux User Group) and if
> there isn't one, start one.

I have tried that. There are more than one here in Dayton, but I no longer
have transportation or the finances to go the distance required. I think I
would like that more than about anything. I crave the thought.

My home/art studio is too filled with equipment and stuff to be able to hold a
group meeting here, so I don't know how I could instigate one. I am
basically an old shut-in. I get out to shop once a month, but that is an
inconvenience to the one who helps me, so I don't use that benefit for other
than life threatening or essential needs like getting food and medicine.

You are not aware of the progress I am making recently; I am having a lot of
fun. I hope to do everything I can do using a shell within the next year. I
really think at that point it will be easier to learn.

The thought of having someone sitting along side who is able to talk about a
problem while it is happening sounds just delicious, though. Oh well, I can
not complain, I still love my life with all its problems, and I especially
love all of you who have been so kind this past several months.

Cordially and as always thanks,

Steven

Old 01-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Steven Vollom

> Then there is one thing to consider, check out the LUG in the nearest
> location, join their email list, if they have one and just describe your
> condition and ask some one to come over sometime and help you with some
> free lessons. I would bet you would get more than one taker and make
> some friends. Make a batch of cookies. Ric

I feel pretty stupid again. That is a great idea. I guess I have gotten to
the point where I have to ask for help to get my food and medicine; I hate to
impose on others, but can't think of a way to avoid the problem and still eat
and get my medicine. For a few months, my helpers have made me wait until I
was out of medicine for about 3 days; each time I feel in trouble by the time
I get the meds again. Same with food, but that is a couple of weeks past
when I need to shop now. Because of that, my impositions feel so great the
idea never occurred to me. I will do that, though. Computer people seem to
love it a lot, and I know I enjoy the conversation and the sometime help I am
able to give others, so maybe there is someone like me, who won't mind
spending a few hours now and then with me. It sure would be great. Thanks
for the great idea, Ric.

Cordially,
Steven