Old 01-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Steven Vollom

Default How do I install a .bin. I downloaded a Java plugin needed to run some tests by the isp.

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 5:43:37 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> chmod a+x /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin

I just read most of man chmod. I will have to learn more before I can
understand the chmod function. There are too many new terms for me to handle
without spending a lot of type studying. I will do that after I finish my
post responses. Thanks!

Steven

Old 01-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 5:58:37 pm Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> But most (http://www.jedsoft.org/most/) is best, and apt-gettable.

The 'most' site is under construction. I could not find any information in
how to use 'most'. Thanks. It is installed though. I couldn't find it
anywhere on the kmenu, so I will just have to remember it and try later for
the website. I hope I don't forget.

Steven

Old 01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Jonas Norlander

2009/1/22 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2009 5:45:36 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> And TBT Matt, one of the reasons I haven't used 'more' in years, simply
>> because 'less' is more, with lots more...
>
> I know this is going to seem really stupid of me, but when is it that you type
> in either the 'more' command or the 'less' command, and is it the only word
> typed into the command line at that time?
>
> Steven

He was playing with the words. Just use less it's better and easier to
use for you.

more is an old command http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_(command)
from 1978 and first appeared in BSD 3.0. less
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Less_(Unix) , is a similar command with
extended capability like moving back and forward in the file where
more only could move forward.

/ Jonas

Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 5:41:40 pm Gene Heskett wrote:

> gene@goat:~$ cd /etc
> gene@goat:/etc$
>
> The prompt changes accordingly.
>
> Hopefully this is beginning to make sense?

Actually it is. Thanks Gene. I really appreciate your taking the time to
explain. I don't think I would ever catch on without this type of help. You
are a great friend.

Steven

Old 01-22-2009, 01:30 PM
David McGlone

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 10:33:20 pm Steven Vollom wrote:

> I was in the process of getting help from my ISP on another problem when
> they stopped me and instructed that I was missing this package and sent me
> to a download site to get it. I supposedly had to have it before they
> would proceed to the next step in help. I made the foolish assumption that
> they knew I did not have the package, otherwise why would the subject have
> come up. Any that is my reason, not my excuse for wasting your time.

I never listen to support tech's at companies. My 9 year old son has better
computer knowledge than most of them tech's.

I've even once had to show a cable installer how to get a connection when he
sat down at my computer to finish his installation.

--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 22 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>On Wednesday 21 January 2009 5:43:37 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
>> chmod a+x /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>
>Hi Gene, it has been so long since I got the instruction above, I cannot
>remember what the instruction would do. When I entered the command, it
>simply switched to a new line with the # there, indicating I was still in
>root. Is the reason I did not see any activity take place because the file
>is already in the computer? Would it normally have installed the package?

The operation, in that event, was a success. So the file now becomes an
executable file as far as its permissions are concerned.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Michael Hirsch

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>> On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:47:34 pm David McGlone wrote:
>>
>>> it worked, you need to use the down arrow key to scroll down to the bottom
>>> or use page down button until you get to the bottom and accept the terms
>>> and it will install.
>>
>> I don't think so. When I attempt to scroll down, it makes a boink sound.
>
> If you are using "more", I believe you need to scroll down by pressing
> enter, not the down arrow (I know this is unintuitive). Any character
> but enter will result in the sound (system bell). When you get to the
> end, pressing enter will exit more, and then presumably you will be
> prompted to agree to the EULA.

space bar works better. Enter will scroll by one line, space by a page.

Michael

Old 01-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Steven Vollom

Old 01-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Steven Vollom

On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:36:39 am John Hubbard wrote:
> chmod a+x ~/Des

steven@Studio25:~$ ls -l /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 steven steven 20106959 2009-01-21
12:37 /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ~/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586
chmod: cannot access `/home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586': No such file
or directory
steven@Studio25:~$

I believe I did as you suggest.

Steven

Old 01-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Donn

On Thursday, 22 January 2009 23:04:30 Steven Vollom wrote:
> steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ~/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586
You left out the .bin at the end.

The name is the name is the name
every character always the same.