Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Steven Vollom

Default How do I install a .bin. I downloaded a Java plugin needed to run some tests by the isp.

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:48:59 pm David McGlone wrote:

> Yes, this is true. I forgot to tell him to use kdesudo

steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
steven@Studio25:~$ chmod ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
chmod: missing operand after `./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin'
Try `chmod --help' for more information.
steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
chmod: cannot access `./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin': No such
file or directory
steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
chmod: cannot access `./home/steven/Desktop': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
]steven@Studio25:~$ kdesudo sh
passprompt

kdesudo chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
kdesudo ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin

I don't understand what happened here. The last commands had the cursor at
the far left of the konsole. There was no steven@Studio25:~$

I am working completely in the blind. If I did something right I wouldn't
even know it.

Steven

Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 1:56:48 pm Geoffrey Bays wrote:
> Try 'sudo sh.....'

I just did as you said. This is the first time I changed to root. It scared
me a bit, because I haven't worked in root much. I am mostly scared because
I do not have confidence I know the correct address for the .bin. It is on
my desktop, so if I enter:
chmod a+x /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin have I typed in the
correct address. Also, My desktop has a capital D.

I am pausing here, because I know I can really screw things up if my command
is not right.

Steven

Old 01-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Donn

On Wednesday, 21 January 2009 23:23:15 Steven Vollom wrote:

cd ~/Desktop
chmod a+x jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin

> What have
> I done wrong?
You said: cd ./home/...blah
The error is the dot before the first slash.

"A computer without Windows is like chocolate cake without mustard."
-- Anonymous Coward /.

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:17:03 pm Edmund Laugasson wrote:
>> sudo ./
>
>steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
>steven@Studio25:~$ chmod ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
^
Every instance you are showing of the path here, is broken by the anchoring
period in front of the path. So you are effectively forcing it to look
for /home/steven/home/steven/Desktop etc etc.

>chmod: missing operand after `./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin'
>Try `chmod --help' for more information.
>steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: cannot access `./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin': No
> such file or directory
>steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: cannot access `./home/steven/Desktop': No such file or directory
>chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
>]steven@Studio25:~$ ]
>
>Both the debian .bin and the .rpm are on my desktop. Desktop is properly
>capitalized. The title came from the desktop icon for the .bin. What have
> I done wrong?

See above. The period in front of the path anchors it to the present 'pwd'
point for its starting point to search for the file. And of course it fails,
the file isn't there, and likely the rest of that extended path does not
exist either.

And, the chmod expects the argument representing what it is to do to the files
attributes between it's invocation name, and the file list it is to work on.
You did that correctly in the repeats above, but the first period in the path
broke it.

man chmod

is your friend

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:47:34 pm David McGlone wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2009 1:35:25 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> > > type in console:
> > >
> > > sh <name of file>.bin
> >
> > Dear David,
> >
> > I did as you suggested and got the following. Notice that it doesn't
> > include the acceptance of terms as it says. I can't get it to continue.
> > Can you see what I need to do?
> >
> > steven@Studio25:~$ sh /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
> > Sun Microsystems, Inc. Binary Code License Agreement
> >
> > for the JAVA SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT (JRE) VERSION 6 and
> > JAVAFX RUNTIME VERSION 1
> >
> > SUN MICROSYSTEMS, INC. ("SUN") IS WILLING TO LICENSE THE
> > SOFTWARE IDENTIFIED BELOW TO YOU ONLY UPON THE CONDITION
> > THAT YOU ACCEPT ALL OF THE TERMS CONTAINED IN THIS BINARY
> > CODE LICENSE AGREEMENT AND SUPPLEMENTAL LICENSE TERMS
> > (COLLECTIVELY "AGREEMENT"). PLEASE READ THE AGREEMENT
> > CAREFULLY. BY DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE, YOU
> > ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT. INDICATE ACCEPTANCE BY
> > SELECTING THE "ACCEPT" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THE
> > AGREEMENT. IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO BE BOUND BY ALL THE
> > TERMS, SELECT THE "DECLINE" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THE
> > AGREEMENT AND THE DOWNLOAD OR INSTALL PROCESS WILL NOT
> > CONTINUE.
> >
> > 1. DEFINITIONS. "Software" means the identified above in
> > binary form, any other machine readable materials
> > (including, but not limited to, libraries, source files,
> > header files, and data files), any updates or error
> > corrections provided by Sun, and any user manuals,
>
> it worked, you need to use the down arrow key to scroll down to the bottom
> or use page down button until you get to the bottom and accept the terms
> and it will install.
> --
> David M.
> http://www.dmcentral.net

I am getting so frustrated. It WILL NOT scroll down. It WILL NOT scroll up
past the existing print. I don't know how to make it do that. When it stops
it makes a BOINK sound. It will go no further. All you see is all I am able
to see. Someone said something about adding a more or less command, I think;
I haven't done that either , because I am not sure how. I need to know what
directory I do that from, and do I type in just 'more' or are there some '-'
signs and 'letters'?

Because I can not make happen what I am told to make happen, I have gotten so
frustrated and confused that I almost have to start over at square one, and
this time with baby food. Additionally, the traditional little upright
rectangle of white that represents the cursor is missing at the bottom of the
document. How do you get out of the document and back to a command position?

If I scroll up, I cannot get past what you can see that I have sent. If I
scroll down, I cannot get past what you see of what I sent you. There is no
command line cursor. How do I get anything different on the screen, without
just turning the shell off and reopening it?

I am going to have to shut down for a bit; I am getting angina from the
stress. I have to lay down for a bit.

Steven

Old 01-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:48:59 pm David McGlone wrote:
>> Yes, this is true. I forgot to tell him to use kdesudo
>
>steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
>steven@Studio25:~$ chmod ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: missing operand after `./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin'
>Try `chmod --help' for more information.
>steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: cannot access `./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6ull-linux-i586.bin': No
> such file or directory
>steven@Studio25:~$ chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>chmod: cannot access `./home/steven/Desktop': No such file or directory
>chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory
>]steven@Studio25:~$ kdesudo sh
>passprompt
>

>kdesudo chmod a+x ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>kdesudo ./home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin
>
>I don't understand what happened here. The last commands had the cursor at
>the far left of the konsole. There was no steven@Studio25:~$

Was it asking for your password? kdesudo should have been doing that before it
allowed the rest of the command to run with root privileges. I believe it
expects to get your user passwd to do that.

As far as the no steven etc above, Yes there is, that is the shell prompt
trying to tell you "who" you are and "where" you are in terms of the machines
name. From a shell on this box:

[root@coyote File:Pm5544-768.png_files]#

It is telling me that I am root, that I'm logged into a machine named coyote,
and that the name of the directory I am currently cd'd to is
File:Pm5544-768.png_files Yes, that is the name of that directory.

Conversely, I am logged into another of my machines, one I call goat because
it is the old, slow, sacrificial animal I try other distro's on, currently
with Kubuntu 8.04 LTS on it, and that prompt shows:

gene@goat:~$

which tells me I am logged in as gene, on a machine named goat, and the ~ says
I am currently in 'gene's home directory. If I cd someplace else:

gene@goat:~$ cd /etc
gene@goat:/etc$

The prompt changes accordingly.

Hopefully this is beginning to make sense?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>On Wednesday 21 January 2009 1:56:48 pm Geoffrey Bays wrote:
>> Try 'sudo sh.....'
>
>I just did as you said. This is the first time I changed to root. It
> scared me a bit, because I haven't worked in root much. I am mostly scared
> because I do not have confidence I know the correct address for the .bin.
> It is on my desktop, so if I enter:
>chmod a+x /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin have I typed in the
>correct address. Also, My desktop has a capital D.
>
>I am pausing here, because I know I can really screw things up if my command
>is not right.

And that looks correct from this distance, Steven.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

He says he just found out he is the winner of the 2021 Psychic of the
Year award.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 5:01:39 pm Donn wrote:

> cd ~/Desktop

> chmod a+x jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin

The result:

steven@Studio25:~/Desktop$ chmod a+x jre-6u11-linux-586.bin

chmod: cannot access `jre-6u11-linux-586.bin': No such file or directory

steven@Studio25:~/Desktop$

Dear Donn,

Would this be the result I should get, if I already have the package installed. A gentleman named John provided the solution to the problem only to also find out that this package I have been working so hard to install is already in my computer. I am the fool I appear to be, although, after wasting so many peoples' valuable time, I am committed to learn how to do the process so that I will never again waste so many peoples' time when I actually have a problem installing a .bin.

I was in the process of getting help from my ISP on another problem when they stopped me and instructed that I was missing this package and sent me to a download site to get it. I supposedly had to have it before they would proceed to the next step in help. I made the foolish assumption that they knew I did not have the package, otherwise why would the subject have come up. Any that is my reason, not my excuse for wasting your time.

If you choose to continue to help, I appreciate it; if not, I understand.

Humbly,

Steven

Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 5:21:32 pm Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:

> >On Wednesday 21 January 2009 2:17:03 pm Edmund Laugasson wrote:

> >> sudo ./

> See above. The period in front of the path anchors it to the present 'pwd'

> point for its starting point to search for the file.

That is why I put it in the command. Nonetheless, removing the '.' wasn't enough to fix the problem. Thanks for the input.

> man chmod

> is your friend

When I finish reading my posts, I will spend some time in 'man chmod' to see what it is all about. Thanks friend.

Steven

Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Steven Vollom

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 5:43:37 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> chmod a+x /home/steven/Desktop/jre-6u11-linux-i586.bin

Hi Gene, it has been so long since I got the instruction above, I cannot
remember what the instruction would do. When I entered the command, it
simply switched to a new line with the # there, indicating I was still in
root. Is the reason I did not see any activity take place because the file
is already in the computer? Would it normally have installed the package?

I am going to man chmod before I continue this thought. Later.

Steven