Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Derek Broughton

Default Lost icon for desktops

D. R. Evans wrote:

> Derek Broughton said the following at 01/21/2009 11:24 AM :
>
>> In any case. I thought he'd lost the panel altogether - in which case
>> looking at the add widgets dialog doesn't help in the slightest.
>>

> True. Still, there's an Add Panel item on the same menu as Add Widgets, so
> in this hypothetical and increasingly OT thread, he'd have seen what he
> needed to see if he'd tried to add a widget :-)

Yeah, but it adds a _blank_ panel. I've lost my panel numerous times, and
find the only thing to do is ctrl-alt-backspace, to kill X, and log in again.
It's way simpler than trying to rebuild a panel.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:41 AM
"D. R. Evans"

Derek Broughton said the following at 01/21/2009 06:28 PM :

> Yeah, but it adds a _blank_ panel. I've lost my panel numerous times, and
> find the only thing to do is ctrl-alt-backspace, to kill X, and log in again.
> It's way simpler than trying to rebuild a panel.

Oh, right, I see now what you were saying. Right, in that case an X restart
is definitely the way to go. Communication is a wonderful thing.

I haven't been counting, but I think I have had to restart X at least half
a dozen times in intrepid. That's half a down times more than I had to
restart it in the prior 18 months or so :-( Something's definitely
regressed a bit in intrepid.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 01-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Derek Broughton

D. R. Evans wrote:

> Derek Broughton said the following at 01/21/2009 06:28 PM :
>

>> Yeah, but it adds a _blank_ panel. I've lost my panel numerous times,
>> and find the only thing to do is ctrl-alt-backspace, to kill X, and log
>> in again. It's way simpler than trying to rebuild a panel.
>
> Oh, right, I see now what you were saying. Right, in that case an X
> restart is definitely the way to go. Communication is a wonderful thing.
>
> I haven't been counting, but I think I have had to restart X at least half
> a dozen times in intrepid. That's half a down times more than I had to
> restart it in the prior 18 months or so :-( Something's definitely
> regressed a bit in intrepid.

Yes, that's exactly my experience.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 12:16 -0700, D. R. Evans wrote:

> Doc

Has anyone told you that you look like Hunter Thompson?? Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987