Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Alan Dacey

Default Yahoo wants to know how well their new video syntem works!

Knapp wrote:
> Please test it and then click their feedback button!
>
> javascript:void(window.open%20('http://videocast.yahoo.com/test/player.html',%20'playerWindow',%20config='height=7 50,%20width=870,%20toolbar=no,%20menubar=no,%20scr ollbars=no,%20resizable=yes,%20location=no,%20dire ctories=no,%20status=no'));

feedback:
"This did not work at all. I proudly use a linux distribution on my computer so
I got a message saying that you don't care about me. I see no reason to use
your product, I will stay with companies that do care about me."

Alan

--
"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated
concept. If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in

Old 01-21-2009, 01:41 AM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 20 January 2009 7:46:18 pm Alan Dacey wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
> > Please test it and then click their feedback button!
> >
> > javascript:void(window.open%20('http://videocast.yahoo.com/test/player.ht
> >ml',%20'playerWindow',%20config='height=750,%20wi dth=870,%20toolbar=no,%20
> >menubar=no,%20scrollbars=no,%20resizable=yes,%20l ocation=no,%20directories
> >=no,%20status=no'));
>
> feedback:
> "This did not work at all. I proudly use a linux distribution on my
> computer so I got a message saying that you don't care about me. I see no
> reason to use your product, I will stay with companies that do care about
> me."

feedback:

Site said it didn't support Linux. I see now why Google is so popular.
--
David McG.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:01 AM
Mark Halegua

Mr. Knapp,

Please tell yahoo if it wants to send email to Linux user groups about testing
something, it should at least be able to do more than say it will only work
with windows and OSX.

That's like saying to a kid, "here's some candy. But, you can't have any."

Don't give us something to test unless it at least doesn't warn us it won't
work for us.

Mark

Old 01-21-2009, 02:39 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Mark Halegua wrote:
> Mr. Knapp,
>
> Please tell yahoo if it wants to send email to Linux user groups about testing
> something, it should at least be able to do more than say it will only work
> with windows and OSX.

Knapp is a regular participant here, and I do not believe he works for
Yahoo. I think his intention sending that link here is that Yahoo will
get a large amount of feedback requesting GNU/Linux support.

> That's like saying to a kid, "here's some candy. But, you can't have any."

I think he is hoping enough of us "kids" will ask for candy that we'll
get it.

> Don't give us something to test unless it at least doesn't warn us it won't
> work for us.

Fair point, but it really doesn't take long to "test" since it uses
hard-coded browser detection.

Anyway, I sent:

"For some reason, your player says "This version of the Conviva LivePass
is not supported on your operating system.
Supported systems are: Windows XP and Vista, Mac OS X 10.5 on Intel
platform." This resulted in me being unable to complete the
installation process.

Perhaps you should use open standards, so your player will work on all
platforms, and don't have to waste money on browser detection hacks or
even surveys!"

P.S. This should have been marked OT.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 20 January 2009, David McGlone wrote:
>On Tuesday 20 January 2009 7:46:18 pm Alan Dacey wrote:
>> Knapp wrote:
>> > Please test it and then click their feedback button!
>> >
>> > javascript:void(window.open%20('http://videocast.yahoo.com/test/player.h
>> > ml',%20'playerWindow',%20config='height=750,%20wid th=870,%20toolbar=no,%
>> >20
>> > menubar=no,%20scrollbars=no,%20resizable=yes,%20lo cation=no,%20directori
>> >es =no,%20status=no'));
>>
>> feedback:
>> "This did not work at all. I proudly use a linux distribution on my
>> computer so I got a message saying that you don't care about me. I see no
>> reason to use your product, I will stay with companies that do care about
>> me."
>
>feedback:
>
>Site said it didn't support Linux. I see now why Google is so popular.

And if I may be so rude as to call a bloody shovel just that, the original
post was spam, pure and simple. I wonder how much M$ paid for that?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-21-2009, 02:53 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Site said it didn't support Linux. I see now why Google is so popular.
>
> And if I may be so rude as to call a bloody shovel just that, the original
> post was spam, pure and simple. I wonder how much M$ paid for that?

I disagree. It was OT, but Knapp is a regular contributor, and I don't
think you have cause to allege he's a Microsoft shill.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-21-2009, 02:54 AM
Billie Walsh

Mark Halegua wrote:
> Mr. Knapp,
>
> Please tell yahoo if it wants to send email to Linux user groups about testing
> something, it should at least be able to do more than say it will only work
> with windows and OSX.
>
> That's like saying to a kid, "here's some candy. But, you can't have any."
>
> Don't give us something to test unless it at least doesn't warn us it won't
> work for us.
>
> Mark

I filled out their feedback form.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 AM
Cary Bielenberg

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

Gene Heskett wrote:

Site said it didn't support Linux. I see now why Google is so popular.

And if I may be so rude as to call a bloody shovel just that, the original
post was spam, pure and simple. I wonder how much M$ paid for that?

I disagree. It was OT, but Knapp is a regular contributor, and I don't
think you have cause to allege he's a Microsoft shill.

Matt Flaschen

I think it is good to "stick it up" the likes of Yahoo & let them
know how many of us are being ostracised!

2c Cary

Old 01-21-2009, 03:33 AM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 20 January 2009 10:54:29 pm Billie Walsh wrote:
> Mark Halegua wrote:
> > Mr. Knapp,
> >
> > Please tell yahoo if it wants to send email to Linux user groups about
> > testing something, it should at least be able to do more than say it will
> > only work with windows and OSX.
> >
> > That's like saying to a kid, "here's some candy. But, you can't have
> > any."
> >
> > Don't give us something to test unless it at least doesn't warn us it
> > won't work for us.
> >
> > Mark
>
> I filled out their feedback form.
>
> --
> Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

I think all of us should fill it out.
--
David McG.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:39 AM
Mark Halegua

On Tuesday 20 January 2009 07:28:06 pm Knapp wrote:
> Please test it and then click their feedback button!
>
> javascript:void(window.open%20('http://videocast.yahoo.com/test/player.html
>',%20'playerWindow',%20config='height=750,%20widt h=870,%20toolbar=no,%20menu
>bar=no,%20scrollbars=no,%20resizable=yes,%20locat ion=no,%20directories=no,%2
>0status=no'));
>

> --
> Douglas E Knapp
>
> Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&li
>nkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B 001078FFE

I tried this a second time, configuring my browser switcher agent to IE 6 on
Vista, and I did get a screen for downloading the streamer app, only to find
the app is, of course an EXE.

I'm sure if I'd I'd set the ID to something OSX it would have given me a
downloadable file for that OS.

Mark