FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-21-2009, 03:46 AM
Gene Heskett
 
Default Yahoo wants to know how well their new video syntem works!

On Tuesday 20 January 2009, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Site said it didn't support Linux. I see now why Google is so popular.
>>
>> And if I may be so rude as to call a bloody shovel just that, the original
>> post was spam, pure and simple. I wonder how much M$ paid for that?
>
>I disagree. It was OT, but Knapp is a regular contributor, and I don't
>think you have cause to allege he's a Microsoft shill.
>
I now realize that, my apologies to Mr. Knapp.

But its no secret that I don't have a lot of use for yahoo's TOS, and I have
as little contact with them as I can. Unforch I am stuck with 2 or 3 of the
40+ lists I am subbed to, being yahoo managed lists. I bothers me no end
that someone can have a project up on a web page managed by yahoo, and will
post a link to that page, only to be denied access because I am not a member
in good standing with yahoo Groups. And as long as yahoo says in their TOS
that they own the copyright for every character that passes through their
servers, it will continue to be a mostly hate relationship on my part.

I may have an overrated opinion of my prose here on the linux lists as I'm no
where near a guru, but no one but me should be able to claim a copyright on
or file a patent based on what I write. I have been the target of idea
stealers before, I found one of my ideas at the NAB show once, done poorly
and incompletely but obviously based on a piece of gear I designed and built
while at a tv station in No. CA as the ACE that I had proudly shown to their
sales rep a few months before, obviously my mistake.

I won't willingly suggest a solution that may be better, and have a yahoo
legal at the USTPO the next morning filing on what is basically a napkin
sketch picked up off the floor. That is not right, and all of you should
have the same attitude. FWIW I raised hell and stuck a brick under one
corner of it right then and there. The product was gone from their booth
half an hour later and never marketed.

Had they come to me with a small royalty offer, they would have found me
pretty receptive, but they went behind my back. And that pulled my very
light trigger.

Names obviously not mentioned to protect the guilty. And, unless there are
old timer broadcasters like me here, probably not familiar names anyway.

>Matt Flaschen



--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
-- John Muir

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-21-2009, 04:08 AM
Matthew Flaschen
 
Default Yahoo wants to know how well their new video syntem works!

Gene Heskett wrote:
> And as long as yahoo says in their TOS that they own the copyright
for every
> character that passes through their servers, it will continue to be a mostly
> hate relationship on my part.

It doesn't say that (at least anymore). In fact it says, "Yahoo! does
not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for
inclusion on the Yahoo! Services."
(http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/). There is a "worldwide,
royalty-free and non-exclusive license" but that is fairly standard.

Even if it did claim copyright, it would be invalid. You can't transfer
copyright by click wrap. A "transfer of copyright ownership, other than
by operation of law, is not valid unless an instrument of conveyance, or
a note or memorandum of the transfer, is in writing and signed"
(http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap2.html#204). Patents also
require an "instrument in writing"
(http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/35/261.html).

> I won't willingly suggest a solution that may be better, and have a yahoo
> legal at the USTPO the next morning filing on what is basically a napkin
> sketch picked up off the floor. That is not right, and all of you should
> have the same attitude.

They don't have the right to do that.

Best,

Matt Flaschen

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-21-2009, 04:17 AM
Gene Heskett
 
Default Yahoo wants to know how well their new video syntem works!

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> And as long as yahoo says in their TOS that they own the copyright
>
>for every
>
>> character that passes through their servers, it will continue to be a
>> mostly hate relationship on my part.
>
>It doesn't say that (at least anymore). In fact it says, "Yahoo! does
>not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for
>inclusion on the Yahoo! Services."

Thanks, I had not actually checked recently.

>(http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/). There is a "worldwide,
>royalty-free and non-exclusive license" but that is fairly standard.

I'll have to read that when I am awake, which I am not really ATM, too late
for me.

>Even if it did claim copyright, it would be invalid. You can't transfer
>copyright by click wrap. A "transfer of copyright ownership, other than
>by operation of law, is not valid unless an instrument of conveyance, or
>a note or memorandum of the transfer, is in writing and signed"
>(http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap2.html#204). Patents also
>require an "instrument in writing"
>(http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/35/261.html).
>
>> I won't willingly suggest a solution that may be better, and have a yahoo
>> legal at the USTPO the next morning filing on what is basically a napkin
>> sketch picked up off the floor. That is not right, and all of you should
>> have the same attitude.
>
>They don't have the right to do that.

Good. Excellent even. Thank you, Matt.

>Best,
>
>Matt Flaschen



--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Sigmund's wife wore Freudian slips.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-21-2009, 06:08 AM
Knapp
 
Default Yahoo wants to know how well their new video syntem works!

On 1/21/09, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> wrote:
> Mark Halegua wrote:
>> Mr. Knapp,
>>
>> Please tell yahoo if it wants to send email to Linux user groups about
>> testing
>> something, it should at least be able to do more than say it will only
>> work
>> with windows and OSX.
>
> Knapp is a regular participant here, and I do not believe he works for
> Yahoo. I think his intention sending that link here is that Yahoo will
> get a large amount of feedback requesting GNU/Linux support.

Thanks for the support and yes you are correct on both counts! If I
did, I would be looking to find a new job before they tank, as it
seems they are headed that way.


>> That's like saying to a kid, "here's some candy. But, you can't have
>> any."
>
> I think he is hoping enough of us "kids" will ask for candy that we'll
> get it.
>
>> Don't give us something to test unless it at least doesn't warn us it
>> won't
>> work for us.
>
> Fair point, but it really doesn't take long to "test" since it uses
> hard-coded browser detection.
>
> Anyway, I sent:
>
> "For some reason, your player says "This version of the Conviva LivePass
> is not supported on your operating system.
> Supported systems are: Windows XP and Vista, Mac OS X 10.5 on Intel
> platform." This resulted in me being unable to complete the
> installation process.
>
> Perhaps you should use open standards, so your player will work on all
> platforms, and don't have to waste money on browser detection hacks or
> even surveys!"
>
> P.S. This should have been marked OT.
>
> Matt Flaschen

OT perhaps but getting Ubuntu and thus Linux supported by major
companies is not OT IMOHO.


--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Yahoo wants to know how well their new video syntem works!

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 01:28 +0100, Knapp wrote:
> javascript:void(window.open%
> 20('http://videocast.yahoo.com/test/player.html',%20'playerWindow',%
> 20config='height=750,%20width=870,%20toolbar=no,%2 0menubar=no,%
> 20scrollbars=no,%20resizable=yes,%20location=no,%2 0directories=no,%
> 20status=no'));

I couldn't get that link to work at all... could you re-send it? Ric

--

My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org