Old 01-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Bruce Marshall

Default Fixed addresses for 8.04?

On Sunday 18 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Since it appears that the normal configuration (ifcfg-eth0 and friends)
> files have been deprecated and NM is doing it all, so how can I make it use
> a fixed local address? *Setting the hostname and hosts files up correctly
> doesn't do it. NM apparently ignores everything but the hostname.

In 8.04 it should be as simple as going to:

system settings --> network settings --> <select interface> -->

configure interface --> <select manual> --> enter your IP address and
netmask (usually 255.255.255.0)

Also set default gateway under 'routes' and DNS under Domain name system

Old 01-19-2009, 05:02 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 18 January 2009, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>On Sunday 18 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Since it appears that the normal configuration (ifcfg-eth0 and friends)
>> files have been deprecated and NM is doing it all, so how can I make it
>> use a fixed local address? *Setting the hostname and hosts files up
>> correctly doesn't do it. NM apparently ignores everything but the
>> hostname.
>
>In 8.04 it should be as simple as going to:
>
>system settings --> network settings --> <select interface> -->
>
>configure interface --> <select manual> --> enter your IP address and
>netmask (usually 255.255.255.0)
>
>Also set default gateway under 'routes' and DNS under Domain name system

I have actually done that using a sudo session, It all looks ok, but if I quit
and reopen it, the old stuff has been set again. Repeated several times.

Where are the files this data is stored in?, I'll change them with vim and do
a chattr +i on them. That will no doubt give NM a terminal belly ache but at
this point, I could care less. I just want it to work.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 19 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I have actually done that using a sudo session, It all looks ok, but if I
> quit and reopen it, the old stuff has been set again. *Repeated several
> times.
>
> Where are the files this data is stored in?, I'll change them with vim and
> do a chattr +i on them. *That will no doubt give NM a terminal belly ache
> but at this point, I could care less. *I just want it to work.

All stored in /etc/network/interfaces Might need to change some things in
the directories below that but probably not.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 17:24 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I am trying to get a box with 8.04 on it, set up for a fixed network address.
>
> Since it appears that the normal configuration (ifcfg-eth0 and friends) files
> have been deprecated and NM is doing it all, so how can I make it use a fixed
> local address? Setting the hostname and hosts files up correctly doesn't do
> it. NM apparently ignores everything but the hostname.

It also has problems with domainname. Set it in NM, restart the network
and type in a terminal window "domainname" and see if it doesn't come up
blank. I finally put "domainname wayward4now.net" in /etc/rc.local to
fix it. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 28 January 2009, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 17:24 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I am trying to get a box with 8.04 on it, set up for a fixed network
>> address.
>>
>> Since it appears that the normal configuration (ifcfg-eth0 and friends)
>> files have been deprecated and NM is doing it all, so how can I make it
>> use a fixed local address? Setting the hostname and hosts files up
>> correctly doesn't do it. NM apparently ignores everything but the
>> hostname.
>
>It also has problems with domainname. Set it in NM, restart the network
>and type in a terminal window "domainname" and see if it doesn't come up
>blank. I finally put "domainname wayward4now.net" in /etc/rc.local to
>fix it. Ric

You can also set it up in /etc/networks, so this one has been put to bed.
Thanks Ric.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)