Old 01-18-2009, 05:21 PM
David McGlone

Default choppy .mov in kaffeine

Has anyone experienced playing choppy sound with .mov files *played with
kaffeine or dragon player? They play fine in vlc and Mplayer, but I can't
stand Mplayer, I want to use Kaffeine.

I've googled and tried all kinds of things and I can't figure out why the
sound just keeps cutting in and out only on .mov files.

Any Ideas?
Thanks,
--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 13:21 -0500, David McGlone wrote:
> Has anyone experienced playing choppy sound with .mov files played with
> kaffeine or dragon player? They play fine in vlc and Mplayer, but I can't
> stand Mplayer, I want to use Kaffeine.
>
> I've googled and tried all kinds of things and I can't figure out why the
> sound just keeps cutting in and out only on .mov files.
>
> Any Ideas?
> Thanks,

I was dinking with Xine's setup and it all went to heck. So I went into
the .xine directory, renamed config to config.orig and then cranked up
xine again. It now works just fine. Since Kaffine uses Xine as it's
engine, quite possibly you may have broken something when editing
Kaffine's setup. It's worth a shot. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-29-2009, 05:56 PM
David McGlone

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 2:28:57 pm Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 13:21 -0500, David McGlone wrote:
> > Has anyone experienced playing choppy sound with .mov files played with
> > kaffeine or dragon player? They play fine in vlc and Mplayer, but I can't
> > stand Mplayer, I want to use Kaffeine.
> >
> > I've googled and tried all kinds of things and I can't figure out why the
> > sound just keeps cutting in and out only on .mov files.
> >
> > Any Ideas?
> > Thanks,
>
> I was dinking with Xine's setup and it all went to heck. So I went into
> the .xine directory, renamed config to config.orig and then cranked up
> xine again. It now works just fine. Since Kaffine uses Xine as it's
> engine, quite possibly you may have broken something when editing
> Kaffine's setup. It's worth a shot. Ric

Thanks Ric. I gave it a try, but it didn't help.
--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 PM
"D. R. Evans"

David McGlone said the following at 01/18/2009 11:21 AM :
> Has anyone experienced playing choppy sound with .mov files played wit=
h=20
> kaffeine or dragon player? They play fine in vlc and Mplayer, but I can=
't=20
> stand Mplayer, I want to use Kaffeine.=20
>=20

This is one of the regressions I've seen here when moving from 8.04 to
8.10. Video is flickery and the sound choppy. I haven't bothered to try
spend the time to try to do anything about it. I figure (perhaps na=C3=AF=
vely)
that it's something to do with the new multimedia subsystem in KDE4 and
that at some point in the next year or so it will go back to working
perfectly like it used to.

Doc

--=20
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 01-29-2009, 10:26 PM
David McGlone

On Thursday 29 January 2009 4:05:51 pm D. R. Evans wrote:
> David McGlone said the following at 01/18/2009 11:21 AM :
> > Has anyone experienced playing choppy sound with .mov files played wit=
>
> h=20
>
> > kaffeine or dragon player? They play fine in vlc and Mplayer, but I can=
>
> 't=20
>
> > stand Mplayer, I want to use Kaffeine.=20
> >=20
>
> This is one of the regressions I've seen here when moving from 8.04 to
> 8.10. Video is flickery and the sound choppy. I haven't bothered to try
> spend the time to try to do anything about it. I figure (perhaps na=C3=AF=
> vely)
> that it's something to do with the new multimedia subsystem in KDE4 and
> that at some point in the next year or so it will go back to working
> perfectly like it used to.
>
> Doc
>
> --=20
> Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

I sure hope it don't take a year.

--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-30-2009, 02:08 AM
"D. R. Evans"

David McGlone said the following at 01/29/2009 04:26 PM :

> I sure hope it don't take a year.

I'm not sure whether I was being pessimistic or realistic. The way that the
desire for eye candy (otherwise knows as huge menus and icons) and
fancy-dancy new software frameworks seems to have taken over the KDE
project doesn't leave me sanguine about the important stuff being brought
back to the stability and usability level of KDE 3.5.10 anytime soon, I'm
afraid.

I hope very much that I'm proved wrong. In the meantime I sure do miss even
the limited desktop search in 8.04, a nice comfortable Konqueror (that
amongst other things had real file sizes in it, and knew about file
properties), a usable ksysguard and any number of other niceties :-(

Maybe jaunty will be better.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR