Old 01-17-2009, 03:35 AM
Ray Burke

Default re grub error 17

anyone know of why when loading the grub that comes with error 17

*

when I tried to load up 2 extra Hdd from my modile hdd racks(80gb bkup xp pro+ and my old copy of

Me 40gb) in the Grub line said grub loading next line error 17, what does that mean,

also when I done a clone copy of the current bkupman 80gb the one I use with dual to to

Kubuntu, it clonned ok thru dos using Ghost 3 but when I attached as main drive to check

that it work worked, when booting started to do the grub loading but said

grub grub grub grub grub etc forever so I presume the clone didnt work, so is there a clone

app I can use when in K to clone mt xp pro dual boot hdd to a backup of it, cause I can use

paragon disk copy 8 to clone the K drives when in xp pro???????

*

ray

Find your ideal job with SEEK Time for change?

Old 01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
"Hervé Fache"

You can clone the full HD in Linux using dd:
* connect source and dest HDs
* boot from a LiveCD (Kubuntu ones are fine)
* from a terminal, type:
$ dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
... where /dev/sda is the device associated with your source HD and /dev/sdb to the destination.

Quadruple-check that you know which is which as there is no way back!!!

HTH
Hervé

Old 01-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Ray Burke

Herve in xp pro,

*

How can I check which are correct when in Kubuntu, and also I cant

load up my bkup drive to my win xp pro as with my dual boot I get error 17

as I have my backup loaded in a mobile rack(may be via external usb drive????)

*

thru xp pro I have

drive c 80gb win xp pro

drive d 40gb linux(k)

drive e 80gb bkup xp pro

drive L 40 gb bkup linux(K)

both bkup's are in modbile racks that I can switch on/off when booting up

but now that I have grub with my dual boot whichever o/s I try to boot

to grub says error 17, but when switched off the mobile racks its boot ok

into either win xp pro/Kubuntu thru the grub,so then cant clone my 80gb xp pro,

but the linux will clone thru paragon drive copy 8 whhen in xp pro?????

ray

[...]

Find great deals on eBay Net yourself a bargain

Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Hervé Fache

Hello Ray,

Re-posting to the list in case it might help others... was sent to personal e-mail.

I - Booting with the backup disks on

If your system boots ok with the backups off and does not when they're on, then my guess is that you have two grubs:

* one on the main hard drive (the one you want)
* at least one on the backups (the one[s] you don't)
and
that your system boots by default from the backup. This, as you
probably know, can be changed in the BIOS settings, under the boot
section (its location depends on your BIOS).

II - Error 17

The reason why grub gives error 17 is due to
the difference between the partition layout in the backup disk[s] and
the original disk. For example, Linux's boot partition maybe on
partition /dev/sda3 on the original disk and /dev/sda1 on the backup
disk[s]. To find out your boot partition, type this:

$ df /boot

which gives me (/boot is not a separate partition on my laptop - yet):
/dev/sda8************ 52506748** 3838592* 46000968** 8% /

I hope this can help a bit. Do not hesitate to ask again if I can be of help.

Hervé

Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Ray Burke

Herve,

*

I am sorry as kost of my questions on the forum go astray!!!!!

when I boot from the backup disk it just continually says gub, but this was a

clonned copy thru ghost 3 of the main xp pro??

*

do I do this $ df /boot when in K and with just my xp pro drive and linux drive?????

*

[...]

Download free emoticons today! Holiday cheer from Messenger.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Hervé Fache

Hi Ray,