Old 01-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Steven Vollom

Default For you from Help for Steven

I am still laughing; tears are running down my face. I am so happy. The only
way I have ever moved a file using the konsole has been by copying and
pasting an instruction from one of you. And I did not know what I was doing
even then.

I may not get much sleep for a while. I am having so much fun. I now
understand how and when to use ls, probably not completely but enough so that
I can function in the ways I need. I also will move files using the konsole
now, because I understand how it works a bit. I probably have a lot to learn
about that too, but I just moved a movie not only from one partition to
another partition, they were on different HDD's. It seemed to be a lot
faster than the cut and paste efforts I am used to using a GUI.

Once I get the hang of this and am able to remember the often used commands
and their conditions, I may never use anything but a terminal to get work
done.

I love you all. Each of you who stressed the path that would help me. There
must have been a dozen emails with the same approximate instruction. And
although I may have received such an instruction in the past, I have been
working under so much pressure to not make a mistake that I couldn't evaluate
what was really important. Every jot was important before, however, although
every jot is still important, some are less important when you start to
understand and you don't have to strain to remember or worry to not make a
mistake. You probably can't remember the first time you typed a command that
opened what you wanted and worked. It is exhilarating.

Already I am sending a mention of Rutebook to those who have tried to help me
in the past but who are not in a much better place than I am. This book is
like penicillin for the uninstructed. You may hear from me less for a while.
If I can start putting what I learn to work, I won't be so intellectually
crippled. Thanks again to you all. Remember my response to this email. I
would guess that it is the same for most who call themselves newbies.

You guys are the greatest.

Steven

Old 01-17-2009, 03:00 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I am still laughing; tears are running down my face. I am so happy. The only
> way I have ever moved a file using the konsole has been by copying and
> pasting an instruction from one of you. And I did not know what I was doing
> even then.
>
> I may not get much sleep for a while. I am having so much fun.

Did you get the videos connected correctly yet?

Matt

Old 01-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Steven Vollom

> Did you get the videos connected correctly yet?

No but I am making progress.

This last time I got a result that appeared to be a fix. It opened Kaffeine
to a black screen this time and loaded the codecs. It also confirmed that
the codecs were already open. It was trying to start a movie. Nonetheless
it did not open.

I noticed that the progress bar for the movie was at the far right, as though
the movie had ended. I clicked on play, but nothing happened. I also tried
to manually move the progress bar back to the starting point, but it would
not move. Does that create a recollection?

Steven