Old 01-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Mark Halegua

Default Epson and HP Scanner

Can anyone on the list tell me which scanners from Epson and HP they've used
on Ubuntu/Kubuntu?

I'm looking for an inexpensive scanner priced up to $150 with a good
resolution.

I've looked at the SANE pages and other places, but most of the info seems
old, so any help here is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 01-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Pastor JW

On Friday 16 January 2009 10:13:39 am Mark Halegua wrote:
> Can anyone on the list tell me which scanners from Epson and HP they've
> used on Ubuntu/Kubuntu?
>
> I'm looking for an inexpensive scanner priced up to $150 with a good
> resolution.

You might take a look at the HP j6480. It didn't take much to get it working
wirelessly as a network printer/scanner/fax with my laptops! All are either
Ubuntu or Kubuntu, we have no windoze machines. In fact they are completely
banned in our office! I got the all-in-one for $139.00 and am very happy so
far.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Kaj Haulrich

On Friday 16 January 2009 19:28:15 Pastor JW wrote:
> On Friday 16 January 2009 10:13:39 am Mark Halegua wrote:
> > Can anyone on the list tell me which scanners from Epson and HP they've
> > used on Ubuntu/Kubuntu?
> >
> > I'm looking for an inexpensive scanner priced up to $150 with a good
> > resolution.
>
> You might take a look at the HP j6480. It didn't take much to get it
> working wirelessly as a network printer/scanner/fax with my laptops! All
> are either Ubuntu or Kubuntu, we have no windoze machines. In fact they
> are completely banned in our office! I got the all-in-one for $139.00 and
> am very happy so far.

I take it you just need a scanner, not an all-in-one printer? - Well, in that
case I have a suggestion:

Epson Perfection 2400 Photo (or one in the same series)

The reason: Work just out of the box on all my (K)ubuntu systems with xsane
and GIMP-sane. But most of all, you'll get a really capable photo-scanner as
well, one that can scan old celluloid films (24mm x 36mm), such as black-and-
white negatives, color slides, color-negatives etc.. with a very high
resolution (2400 - 4800 pixels per inch). Such scans can then be converted and
edited to fine, printable photos up to letter and A4 size in GIMP. Of course it
does normal, flat scans as well, just pull out the white plate covering the
overhead, fluorescent light from the lid. Works perfectly. Got mine for
something like $170.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*** Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer ***
********* Running Linux Ubuntu 8.10 *********

Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Alan Dacey

Pastor JW wrote:
> On Friday 16 January 2009 10:13:39 am Mark Halegua wrote:
>> Can anyone on the list tell me which scanners from Epson and HP they've
>> used on Ubuntu/Kubuntu?
>>
>> I'm looking for an inexpensive scanner priced up to $150 with a good
>> resolution.
>
> You might take a look at the HP j6480. It didn't take much to get it working
> wirelessly as a network printer/scanner/fax with my laptops! All are either
> Ubuntu or Kubuntu, we have no windoze machines. In fact they are completely
> banned in our office! I got the all-in-one for $139.00 and am very happy so
> far.

Did you have a problem with that printing REALLY slow? I just made a computer
for my cousin last week and after I installed the drivers from the HP website,
it all worked! Then I tried to print and it took forever to spit out a page.
It's connected through the USB to a desktop running 8.04.

Alan

--
"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated
concept. If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in

Old 01-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Pastor JW

On Friday 16 January 2009 3:56:37 pm Alan Dacey wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
> > On Friday 16 January 2009 10:13:39 am Mark Halegua wrote:
> >> Can anyone on the list tell me which scanners from Epson and HP they've
> >> used on Ubuntu/Kubuntu?
> >>
> >> I'm looking for an inexpensive scanner priced up to $150 with a good
> >> resolution.
> >
> > You might take a look at the HP j6480. It didn't take much to get it
> > working wirelessly as a network printer/scanner/fax with my laptops! All
> > are either Ubuntu or Kubuntu, we have no windoze machines. In fact they
> > are completely banned in our office! I got the all-in-one for $139.00
> > and am very happy so far.
>
> Did you have a problem with that printing REALLY slow? I just made a
> computer for my cousin last week and after I installed the drivers from the
> HP website, it all worked! Then I tried to print and it took forever to
> spit out a page. It's connected through the USB to a desktop running 8.04.

No, but then too I am running it as a network printer and its connection is
WiFi. It is rather fast. Check the quality setting, how many "stars" is it
set at? I've not found any of its functions to be slow.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Alan Dacey

Pastor JW wrote:

>>> You might take a look at the HP j6480. It didn't take much to get it
>>> working wirelessly as a network printer/scanner/fax with my laptops! All
>>> are either Ubuntu or Kubuntu, we have no windoze machines. In fact they
>>> are completely banned in our office! I got the all-in-one for $139.00
>>> and am very happy so far.
>> Did you have a problem with that printing REALLY slow? I just made a
>> computer for my cousin last week and after I installed the drivers from the
>> HP website, it all worked! Then I tried to print and it took forever to
>> spit out a page. It's connected through the USB to a desktop running 8.04.
>
> No, but then too I am running it as a network printer and its connection is
> WiFi. It is rather fast. Check the quality setting, how many "stars" is it
> set at? I've not found any of its functions to be slow.

Tried that, didn't work. I guess I'll just have to go there and see what I can
do. Thanks for your reply!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:06 AM
David Fletcher

On Friday 16 Jan 2009, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> I take it you just need a scanner, not an all-in-one printer? - Well, in
that
> case I have a suggestion:
>
> Epson Perfection 2400 Photo (or one in the same series)

Agreed - I have a Perfection 2450 Photo. This one scans anything up to 4x5
inch sheet film, for those who have film from medium/large format cameras.
This would produce rather a large file I think!

I don't know whether this model is still available though. The downside of
this scanner is that there have been issues with connectivity. Last I knew of
it, somebody was working on a fix for the USB2 connection, but mine has been
stable for a long time using the firewire connection.

Dave

Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 13:13 -0500, Mark Halegua wrote:
> Can anyone on the list tell me which scanners from Epson and HP they've used
> on Ubuntu/Kubuntu?
>
> I'm looking for an inexpensive scanner priced up to $150 with a good
> resolution.
>
> I've looked at the SANE pages and other places, but most of the info seems
> old, so any help here is appreciated.

My Hp combo printer does it all, it scans, it prints, it copies, it
slices and dices. One thing though that would have me look at Kodak is
the blooming price per page of ink. HP is crazy, IMHO. I'm not getting
many pages at all before the cartridge runs dry. I would swear that I'm
getting those first time free start cartridges, as they last no time.
I'm royally jerked with HP over this. Funny thing is that complaints go
to the people who pack the ink and not to HP in the US headquarters. Fox
guarding the hen house.

I've checked the Kodak site and they do have some linux routines for
dnload. One claims to set true color on your monitor. Nifty. I'm
spending far more money for ink than I did for the printer which I
purchased a little more than a year ago. So, I'll look at Kodak next
time, unless I hear something different. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Mark Halegua

I appreciate the info, but we're just interested in a plain scanner and not an
all in one. We have a great Xerox Phaser 8560N and it satisfies our need for
printing.

Now we just want an inexpensive scanner.

Mark

Old 01-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Joel Oliver

I like my old HP Scanjet 5200C. I had it forever and it works great in
Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I use either kooka or gscan2pdf depending on what I'm
doing.

I get a laugh that this scanner wont work in Vista as "It's too old and
will not be supported"

Joel.