-   -   Help for Steven (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/228965-help-steven.html)

Wendell Cochran 01-16-2009 04:09 PM

Help for Steven

> I really believe if I knew what an exec command was all about, for
instance, I think I would progress. *What should I do? -- Steven

I think Steven is neglecting basics.

Many good tutorials & HOWTOs are easily found via Google.

List members who have helped Steven most can best recommend URLs
that best fit his needs.

Suggestions?

Meanwhile, consider a few little books:

Learning the UNIX Operating System
Jerry Peek et al.
4e 1998 O'Reilly
92 p.
(Later editions seem bloated.)

Linux Pocket Guide
Daniel J. Barrett
2004 O'Reilly
191 p.
(Slanted toward Fedora, but that can be ignored.)

Linux Phrasebook
Scott Granneman
2006 Sams
382 p.
(Examples throughout.)

Teach Yourself Linux
Robert Billing
2004 McGraw-Hill
187 p.
(Concise, practical, readable.)

(The order of titles is random.)

In this decade I've read each book four times -- in buses, barber
shops, waiting rooms, bed. I'm still reading 'em, & I'm still
learning.

Roughly $10 each.

For the most titles, lowest prices, & best service (in my experience)
try:

http://www.bookpool.com/

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle

Eberhard Roloff 01-16-2009 04:20 PM

Help for Steven

Wendell Cochran wrote:
>> I really believe if I knew what an exec command was all about, for
> instance, I think I would progress. What should I do? -- Steven
>

> I think Steven is neglecting basics.
>
> Many good tutorials & HOWTOs are easily found via Google.
>
> List members who have helped Steven most can best recommend URLs
> that best fit his needs.
>
> Suggestions?
>

> Meanwhile, consider a few little books:
>
> Learning the UNIX Operating System
> Jerry Peek et al.
> 4e 1998 O'Reilly
> 92 p.
> (Later editions seem bloated.)
>
> Linux Pocket Guide
> Daniel J. Barrett
> 2004 O'Reilly
> 191 p.
> (Slanted toward Fedora, but that can be ignored.)
>
> Linux Phrasebook
> Scott Granneman
> 2006 Sams
> 382 p.
> (Examples throughout.)
>
> Teach Yourself Linux
> Robert Billing
> 2004 McGraw-Hill
> 187 p.
> (Concise, practical, readable.)
>
> (The order of titles is random.)
>
> In this decade I've read each book four times -- in buses, barber
> shops, waiting rooms, bed. I'm still reading 'em, & I'm still
> learning.
>
> Roughly $10 each.
>
> For the most titles, lowest prices, & best service (in my experience)
> try:
>
> http://www.bookpool.com/

Wendell, thany much for theses helpful hints,

Imho also very helpful is google, not only to look for book and
tutorials, but also to provide an answer to almost any linux question.

Especially good for this task: http://www.google.com/linux

I am using it all the time.

Kind regards
Eberhard

"Dotan Cohen" 01-16-2009 04:36 PM

Help for Steven

2009/1/16 Wendell Cochran <atrypa@eskimo.com>:
> Many good tutorials & HOWTOs are easily found via Google.

I have been reading this blog which has started doing Linux tutorials lately:
http://ghacks.net

The guy who writes the tutorials seems to be on a
beginner-intermediate level so he doesn't come off with the Guru
attitude that most other places have. I also recommend searching the
Fedora and Debian archives, they are full of really good stuff.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Nils Kassube 01-16-2009 04:41 PM

Help for Steven

Wendell Cochran wrote:
> I think Steven is neglecting basics.
> Many good tutorials & HOWTOs are easily found via Google.
> List members who have helped Steven most can best recommend URLs
> that best fit his needs.
> Suggestions?
>
> Meanwhile, consider a few little books:[list of books]
> Roughly $10 each.

Probably Steven can't afford them - according to what he wrote some time
ago he doesn't have enough cash. Therefore, here is one available for
free from the Ubuntu repositories. Install the package "rutebook" and
start reading at /usr/share/doc/rutebook/html/index.html with your
favourite browser.

Nils

"Tycho Andersen" 01-16-2009 05:00 PM

Help for Steven

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de> wrote:
> http://www.google.com/linux

Woah, thanks. I didn't know such a thing existed.

Tycho

--
http://tycho.ws

"Dotan Cohen" 01-16-2009 05:42 PM

Help for Steven

Nils Kassube 01-16-2009 06:02 PM

Help for Steven

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/1/16 Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>:
> > Install the package "rutebook" and
> > start reading at /usr/share/doc/rutebook/html/index.html with your
> > favourite browser.
>
> Woah, thanks. I didn't know such a thing existed.

What? Where have you been last year? :)

It has been mentioned several times on the ubuntu-users list and maybe
here as well.

Nils

"Dotan Cohen" 01-16-2009 06:14 PM

Help for Steven

2009/1/16 Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> 2009/1/16 Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>:
>> > Install the package "rutebook" and
>> > start reading at /usr/share/doc/rutebook/html/index.html with your
>> > favourite browser.
>>
>> Woah, thanks. I didn't know such a thing existed.
>
> What? Where have you been last year? :)
>
> It has been mentioned several times on the ubuntu-users list and maybe
> here as well.

I don't read every thread, and somehow I seem to have avoided the good ones!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

"O. Sinclair" 01-16-2009 06:55 PM

Help for Steven

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/1/16 Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Woah, thanks. I didn't know such a thing existed.
>> What? Where have you been last year? :)
>>
>> It has been mentioned several times on the ubuntu-users list and maybe
>> here as well.
>>

> I don't read every thread, and somehow I seem to have avoided the good ones!

Also to be not forgotten ubuntuforums.org - so much info to be found
there. Actually makes the kubuntuforums quite pointless, sadly to say.

Example: this week I installed a Linksys wireless printserver for a
company who wants a 100 wireless system in a building but could find no
w/less printer. Instructions all relating to Windows XP or earlier.
Vista, Linux, Mac? Got it working for XP but have 3 linux users. Googled
around, no good answers. Found a link on ubuntuforums.org telling me
EXACTLY how to do and it was way easier than windows. Where I first have
to attach printer via usb and install it, then put printer pack on
wireless, install wireless server-driver and configure it to take over
installed printer driver. Linux - go for ipp net printer in install,
type correct url (ok not all that easy w/o help) and choose printer.
Thats it.

Steven Vollom 01-17-2009 12:38 AM

Help for Steven

On Friday 16 January 2009 2:02:14 pm Nils Kassube wrote:

> > > Install the package "rutebook" and
> > > start reading at /usr/share/doc/rutebook/html/index.html with your
> > > favourite browser.

This is terrific. It was already in my computer. Thank you, thank you.

Steven