Old 01-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Steven Vollom

Default Help for Steven

> > Meanwhile, consider a few little books:
>
>[list of books]
Where is the list of books? I may be able to add a couple.

By the way, Rutebook is wonderful. I have to answer these emails, but then I
will read read read. My first glance says the it is just what I have been
looking for. Thank you thank you.

Steven

Old 01-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Nils Kassube

Steven Vollom wrote:
> > > Meanwhile, consider a few little books:
> >
> >[list of books]
>
> Where is the list of books? I may be able to add a couple.

That was in the mail by Wendell Cochran which started this thread. Maybe
you should really keep the mails from the list at least for some time so
you can read things again if necessary. In kmail: first make a folder for
mails from this list. Then make a filter to move messages from the list
into that folder (I think you know how to do that already). Finally set
the expiration time like this: Right click the folder for the list in the
Folder pane and select "Expire...". Check the box for "Expire read mails
after 30 days" and click "OK". Now kmail will keep the mails for 30 days
and then delete them. You can still manually delete mails or move / copy
them to other folders if necessary. However you don't have to search the
archive at <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/> if you want
to look up something which helps understand things.

Now, for your convenience, here is Wendells list again:

| Learning the UNIX Operating System
| Jerry Peek et al.
| 4e 1998 *O'Reilly
| 92 p.
| (Later editions seem bloated.)
|
| Linux Pocket Guide
| Daniel J. Barrett
| 2004 O'Reilly
| 191 p.
| (Slanted toward Fedora, but that can be ignored.)
|
| Linux Phrasebook
| Scott Granneman
| 2006 Sams
| 382 p.
| (Examples throughout.)
|
| Teach Yourself Linux
| Robert Billing
| 2004 McGraw-Hill
| 187 p.
| (Concise, practical, readable.)
|
| (The order of titles is random.)
|
| In this decade I've read each book four times -- in buses, barber
| shops, waiting rooms, bed. *I'm still reading 'em, & I'm still
| learning.

Nils

Old 01-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Bruce Marshall

http://www.unixguide.net/linux/linuxshortcuts.shtml

Old 01-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Steven Vollom

> http://www.unixguide.net/linux/linuxshortcuts.shtml

Thanks Bruce. This is something I have wanted for quite a while. It always
came to memory when I was unable to do anything about looking for it and
never when I could. Much appreciated.

Cordially,
Steven