-   -   How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool? (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/227984-how-do-i-unite-cd1-cd2-kino-tool.html)

Steven Vollom 01-15-2009 01:37 AM

How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

I downloaded a movie that is in two parts called cd1 and cd2. Can I unite the
two into one file and seemlessly join them? I have Kino in my Kmenu, but I
have never used it. When I went to the Kino site, it appeared that Kino
would be able to join two .avi files, but I can't find instructions how to
accomplish this. Using Keno, I located the movie I want to join, and clicked
on the cd1. A window came on the screen Titled Kino Import. the following
was on the window: 'Importing...(this might take a while)'. There is a box
that looks like it may contain a progress bar, however it has been open a
long time without even showing a starting progress. Is there a way to see if
it is actually importing anything? Thanks for any help.

Steven

Matthew Flaschen 01-15-2009 01:43 AM

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I downloaded a movie that is in two parts called cd1 and cd2.

Open a command prompt, navigate to the directory where the two files
are, then run:

file cd1 cd2

Post the results, so we can help further.

Matt Flaschen

Steven Vollom 01-15-2009 02:20 AM

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 9:43:59 pm Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I downloaded a movie that is in two parts called cd1 and cd2.
>
> Open a command prompt, navigate to the directory where the two files
> are, then run:
>
> file cd1 cd2
>
> Post the results, so we can help further.
>
> Matt Flaschen

Dear Matt,

Something strange has happened since I tried to use Kino. Because I am unsure
how to use the terminal, I opened my Storage Media. I was going to identify
the exact way the files are titled then read the path to enter in the command
line.

When I opened my Storage Media folder, everything is identified differently.
Before it identified the various partitions among which are the storage
partitions sda5 sda7 and sdb5.

Now the items shown in Storage media include the DVDWriter (DVD scd0) and the
ROM (DVD scd1), Floppy (fd0), which never showed up before unless I was using
them, then Hard Disk (sda1), Hard Disk (sdb5), which has a green arrow on the
lower right hand corner of the icon that I take to mean is indicating it as
active. Next are three entries that are identified by UUID numbers. None
have the green arrow on the lower right hand corner and all indicate I need
something called HAL to use them. That is all that is located in Storage
Media.

Does any of this sound familiar to you?

When you wrote 'file cd1 cd2', I assumed you thought I knew how to use the
terminal and would expect me to write the address of the files and their
individual names to have the konsole locate them for you. Is that correct?

If that is the case, would I enter something like this: 'O Jerusalem I' 'O
Jerusalem II'. I don't think the titles of the files have anything
connecting the 'O' from 'Jerusalem' so I don't know if it should show as
OJerusalemI or O Jerusalem I or O/Jerusalem/I for the first file, and
OjerusalemII or O Jerusalem II or O/Jerusalem/II with a space between the two
files. Or perhaps O_Jerusalem_I O_Jerusalem_I with similar underscore
for 'II'.

I realize that these are pretty inexperienced questions, but I am a not
experienced.

When I attempted to use Kino, did it cause these changes to show in the
Storage Media folder? If so, how do I change it back? I am very confused
now, because the one storage partition that appears active works like it used
to. I click on it and it opens and the files are functional. When I click
on the others, it says I need HAL to open them.

Steven

Steven Vollom 01-15-2009 02:25 AM

How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 9:43:59 pm Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I downloaded a movie that is in two parts called cd1 and cd2.
>
> Open a command prompt, navigate to the directory where the two files
> are, then run:
>
> file cd1 cd2
>
> Post the results, so we can help further.
>
> Matt Flaschen

Dear Matt,

When I opened user files, I clicked on Media to see if I could see the storage
partitions; the only partition showing is sdb3, which is my Primary Boot
Partition for the OS. What is going on? Do you have any clues?

Steven

Steven Vollom 01-15-2009 02:30 AM

How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 9:43:59 pm Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I downloaded a movie that is in two parts called cd1 and cd2.
>
> Open a command prompt, navigate to the directory where the two files
> are, then run:
>
> file cd1 cd2
>
> Post the results, so we can help further.
>
> Matt Flaschen

Dear Matt,

When I open the GUI that I am familiar using, System Settings, then Advanced
and then Disk&Filesystems, all partitions show and in their proper identity.

Earlier this evening, I got a warning about a virus in an email. Kmail opens
them automatically when I click on any unread address; is it possible that I
let a virus in my computer by reading the content of that email?

Sorry to keep bugging you, but I am concerned. I can't see anything I did
that should affect the normal function of the computer, and I haven't
upgraded anything today that might change things. I did upgrade yesterday,
though. I am going to do some research on HAL to see what that is about.

Steven

Steven Vollom 01-15-2009 02:40 AM

How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 9:43:59 pm Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I downloaded a movie that is in two parts called cd1 and cd2.
>
> Open a command prompt, navigate to the directory where the two files
> are, then run:
>
> file cd1 cd2
>
> Post the results, so we can help further.
>
> Matt Flaschen

I couldn't find much on HAL except in Adept Package Manager. Several packages
are installed in my machine, but I don't really understand, by their
descriptions, exactly what they do that might have been affected by Kino.

Google did not help.

Steven

Matthew Flaschen 01-15-2009 05:35 AM

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Does any of this sound familiar to you?

I don't really use that interface very much. You just have to somehow
figure out the path of the files. How did you download them (that
program may know the filenames)?

> When you wrote 'file cd1 cd2', I assumed you thought I knew how to use the
> terminal and would expect me to write the address of the files and their
> individual names to have the konsole locate them for you. Is that correct?

You said they were called cd1 and cd2. Thus, all you have to do is cd
(change directory) into the directory where they are, then run:

file cd1 cd2

like I said.

> If that is the case, would I enter something like this: 'O Jerusalem I' 'O
> Jerusalem II'.

Are those the names of the files?

I don't think the titles of the files have anything
> connecting the 'O' from 'Jerusalem' so I don't know if it should show as
> OJerusalemI or O Jerusalem I or O/Jerusalem/I for the first file, and
> OjerusalemII or O Jerusalem II or O/Jerusalem/II with a space between the two
> files. Or perhaps O_Jerusalem_I O_Jerusalem_I with similar underscore
> for 'II'.

Probably "O Jerusalem I" on the command line.

> When I attempted to use Kino, did it cause these changes to show in the
> Storage Media folder? If so, how do I change it back? I am very confused
> now, because the one storage partition that appears active works like it used
> to.

I doubt it.

I click on it and it opens and the files are functional. When I click
> on the others, it says I need HAL to open them.

Well, you know the files aren't on CD or floppy, right? So just ignore
those entries.

Matt Flaschen

Matthew Flaschen 01-15-2009 05:38 AM

Steven Vollom wrote:
> When I open the GUI that I am familiar using, System Settings, then Advanced
> and then Disk&Filesystems, all partitions show and in their proper identity.

Stay focused on the files. It's very hard for me to help you with
random GUI issues over the internet. If you don't know what partitions
are mounted run:

df -Th

in the terminal and post the output.

> Earlier this evening, I got a warning about a virus in an email. Kmail opens
> them automatically when I click on any unread address; is it possible that I
> let a virus in my computer by reading the content of that email?

Very unlikely you received a in-the-wild virus targeted for GNU/Linux

Matt Flaschen

"Dotan Cohen" 01-15-2009 06:45 AM

2009/1/15 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> I downloaded a movie that is in two parts called cd1 and cd2. Can I unite the
> two into one file and seemlessly join them? I have Kino in my Kmenu, but I
> have never used it. When I went to the Kino site, it appeared that Kino
> would be able to join two .avi files, but I can't find instructions how to
> accomplish this. Using Keno, I located the movie I want to join, and clicked
> on the cd1. A window came on the screen Titled Kino Import. the following
> was on the window: 'Importing...(this might take a while)'. There is a box
> that looks like it may contain a progress bar, however it has been open a
> long time without even showing a starting progress. Is there a way to see if
> it is actually importing anything? Thanks for any help.
>
> Steven

Most video files can be combined with cat:

$ cat file1.avi file2.avi > combined.avi

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Steven Vollom 01-15-2009 11:49 AM

How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

>How did you download them (that program may know the filenames)?
I was able to locate the sda7 partition by pressing Alt+F2 and typing
in /media/sda7. The title of the folders is O Jerusalem I and O Jerusalem
II, so the address would be /media/sda7/O Jerusalem I, etc.
> You said they were called cd1 and cd2.
They are actually named as above 'O Jerusalem I' and O Jerusalem II'.
> Thus, all you have to do is cd (change directory) into the directory where
>they are, then run:
They are in the sda7 partition. There is no directory that I know of. I
changed the filenames to O Jerusalem I and O Jerusalem II to make them easily
identifiable.
> Are those the names of the files?
Yes
> Probably "O Jerusalem I" on the command line.
What do I type on the command line if they are not in a directory, they are
just in the /media/sda7 'partition'?
> Well, you know the files aren't on CD or floppy, right? So just ignore
> those entries.
I guess what I mean to say is that when I open 'Storage Media', I expect to
see the storage media only. That is sda5, sda7, and sdb5, and in a
sub-folder CompletedDownloads.

Of the 8 items now listed in 'Storage Media', only one of them is a storage
media partition. Now 7 of the 8 entries are either primary partitions, or
media and disk writer and players. sda5 is the only storage partition
in 'Storage Media' now. Before, 'Storage Media' contained three storage
media partitions and one sub-folder called CompletedDownloads, which are no
longer shown in 'Storage Media'.

Well then Matt, what do I write in the command line to join them together? If
they are not in a directory, I cannot change directories, because when I
tried, the computer said that sda7 is not a directory. They are called their
movie name written normally with 'I' or 'II' indicating whether cd1 or cd2,
and are located in the partition sda7 in the /media ??file, folder, or
directory, whatever '/media' is.

I am sorry to be so confusing, but not knowing how to do this stuff, I just
named things the way they would be easiest to find. I don't exactly know the
rules, and identifying them as I did worked fine.

Steven