Old 01-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Steven Vollom

Default How do I unite cd1 to cd2? Is Kino the tool?

> Stay focused on the files. It's very hard for me to help you with
> random GUI issues over the internet.

Up until I found the 'list', I just experimented with the available graphic
interfaces to get things done. I have only used the konsole when helped by
someone like you.

> If you don't know what partitions
> are mounted run:

I actually know what partitions are mounted, however, 'Storage Media' was how
I used to find and open them. When that changed, I had to experiment again.
I can find and use them, but they don't show up in 'Storage Media' where they
should be.

> df -Th

steven@Studio25:~$ df -Th
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1 ext3 20G 7.9G 11G 43% /
varrun tmpfs 252M 304K 252M 1% /var/run
varlock tmpfs 252M 0 252M 0% /var/lock
udev tmpfs 252M 92K 252M 1% /dev
devshm tmpfs 252M 0 252M 0% /dev/shm
lrm tmpfs 252M 39M 213M
16% /lib/modules/2.6.24-23-generic/volatile
/dev/sda5 ext3 63G 26G 35G 43% /media/sda5
/dev/sda7 ext3 110G 90G 14G 87% /media/sda7
/dev/sdb5 ext3 55G 29G 23G 56% /media/sdb5
steven@Studio25:~$

Well that updates you on what I think I know.

Steven

Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Steven Vollom

Hi Dotan,

Great to hear from you

> Most video files can be combined with cat:
>
> $ cat file1.avi file2.avi > combined.avi

If I understand you correctly, I would type into the Konsole the following:

cat /media/sda7/O Jerusalem I O Jerusalem II > combined.avi

Dotan, these files were named before I got help from the 'List'. They are not
named with the .avi file identifier, however. they are .avi files. I can't
remember for sure, but I think they were called something like OJerusalem
Cd1.avi or something like that. I changed the names of the files so long
ago, I cannot remember. But when I open the sda7 partition, the movies
within are listed just like their title would appear on the movie screen.

Do I have to rename them and include '.avi' to join them? And once joined, do
I rename the new file just 'O Jerusalem'? I am amazed you fellows can
understand my complicated jibberish I have to write. When I didn't have
help, I just made things work so that I could understand them.

Steven

Old 01-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Nils Kassube

Steven Vollom wrote:
> What do I type on the command line if they are not in a directory, they
> are just in the /media/sda7 'partition'?

/media/sda7 IS a directory. Yes, I know it is confusing, but it is a
directory nonetheless. The corresponding partition is /dev/sda7, i.e. the
partition /dev/sda7 is mounted at the directory /media/sda7. So the
command would be

file "/media/sda7/O Jerusalem I" "/media/sda7/O Jerusalem II"

and you need the quotes because of the spaces in the file names.

> Well then Matt, what do I write in the command line to join them
> together?

That depends on the file type which you will find out with the command
above.

Nils

Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Hi Dotan,
>
> Great to hear from you
>
>> Most video files can be combined with cat:
>>
>> $ cat file1.avi file2.avi > combined.avi
>
> If I understand you correctly, I would type into the Konsole the following:

Hi Steven,

just to be safe, please start with "file" as was mentioned by various
people:

file /media/sda7/"0 Jerusalem I"
and
file /media/sda7/"0 Jerusalem II"

then post back and we'll proceed from there.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Steven Vollom wrote:
>> Stay focused on the files. It's very hard for me to help you with
>> random GUI issues over the internet.
>
> Up until I found the 'list', I just experimented with the available graphic
> interfaces to get things done. I have only used the konsole when helped by
> someone like you.

That's fine. It's just that it's harder to debug graphical problems,
and GUIs change more often.

> When that changed, I had to experiment again. I can find and use them,

Okay, that's good. So can you find the two files you downloaded? If
not, I can try to help you search.

but they don't show up in 'Storage Media' where they
> should be.

Not sure why that would have changed.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>> What do I type on the command line if they are not in a directory, they
>> are just in the /media/sda7 'partition'?
>
> /media/sda7 IS a directory. Yes, I know it is confusing, but it is a
> directory nonetheless. The corresponding partition is /dev/sda7, i.e. the
> partition /dev/sda7 is mounted at the directory /media/sda7. So the
> command would be
>
> file "/media/sda7/O Jerusalem I" "/media/sda7/O Jerusalem II"

Of if you can't find the exact filenames, just do:

find /media/sda7 -name "*Jer* -exec file {} '+'

Either way, post the results.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-15-2009, 03:41 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2009/1/15 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> Hi Dotan,
>
> Great to hear from you
>
>> Most video files can be combined with cat:
>>
>> $ cat file1.avi file2.avi > combined.avi
>
> If I understand you correctly, I would type into the Konsole the following:
>
> cat /media/sda7/O Jerusalem I O Jerusalem II > combined.avi
>
> Dotan, these files were named before I got help from the 'List'. They are not
> named with the .avi file identifier, however. they are .avi files. I can't
> remember for sure, but I think they were called something like OJerusalem
> Cd1.avi or something like that. I changed the names of the files so long
> ago, I cannot remember. But when I open the sda7 partition, the movies
> within are listed just like their title would appear on the movie screen.
>
> Do I have to rename them and include '.avi' to join them? And once joined, do
> I rename the new file just 'O Jerusalem'? I am amazed you fellows can
> understand my complicated jibberish I have to write. When I didn't have
> help, I just made things work so that I could understand them.

You will need to enclose the filenames in quotes, like this:
$ cd /media/sda7/
$ cat "O Jerusalem I" "O Jerusalem II" > "O Jerusalem"

Fro a technical standpoint, the filenames do not have to end in .avi,
although convention means that they should. Also, sometimes spaces in
filenames complicates things slightly, as seen here with the need for
quotes.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Steven Vollom

> just to be safe, please start with "file" as was mentioned by various
> people:

steven@Studio25:~$ file "/media/sda7/O Jerusalem I" "/media/sda7/O
Jerusalem II"
/media/sda7/O Jerusalem I: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 608 x 256,
25.00 fps, video: XviD, audio: Dolby AC3 (6 channels, 48000 Hz)
/media/sda7/O Jerusalem II: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 608 x 256,
25.00 fps, video: XviD, audio: Dolby AC3 (6 channels, 48000 Hz)
steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/sda7/"0 Jerusalem I"
/media/sda7/0 Jerusalem I: ERROR: cannot open `/media/sda7/0 Jerusalem
I' (No such file or directory)
steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/sda7/"0 Jerusalem II"
/media/sda7/0 Jerusalem II: ERROR: cannot open `/media/sda7/0 Jerusalem
II' (No such file or directory)
steven@Studio25:~$

steven

Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Steven Vollom

> Of if you can't find the exact filenames, just do:
>
> find /media/sda7 -name "*Jer* -exec file {} '+'
>
> Either way, post the results.

steven@Studio25:~$ file "/media/sda7/O Jerusalem I" "/media/sda7/O
Jerusalem II"
/media/sda7/O Jerusalem I: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 608 x 256,
25.00 fps, video: XviD, audio: Dolby AC3 (6 channels, 48000 Hz)
/media/sda7/O Jerusalem II: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 608 x 256,
25.00 fps, video: XviD, audio: Dolby AC3 (6 channels, 48000 Hz)
steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/sda7/"0 Jerusalem I"
/media/sda7/0 Jerusalem I: ERROR: cannot open `/media/sda7/0 Jerusalem
I' (No such file or directory)
steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/sda7/"0 Jerusalem II"
/media/sda7/0 Jerusalem II: ERROR: cannot open `/media/sda7/0 Jerusalem
II' (No such file or directory)
steven@Studio25:~$ find /media/sda7 -name "*Jer* -exec file {} '+'

Nothing seemed to happen when I pressed enter, so I pressed it a couple
of more times.

Steven

Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2009/1/16 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:

>> Of if you can't find the exact filenames, just do:
>>
>> find /media/sda7 -name "*Jer* -exec file {} '+'
>>
>> Either way, post the results.
>>
> steven@Studio25:~$ file "/media/sda7/O Jerusalem I" "/media/sda7/O
> Jerusalem II"
> /media/sda7/O Jerusalem I: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 608 x 256,
> 25.00 fps, video: XviD, audio: Dolby AC3 (6 channels, 48000 Hz)
> /media/sda7/O Jerusalem II: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 608 x 256,
> 25.00 fps, video: XviD, audio: Dolby AC3 (6 channels, 48000 Hz)
> steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/sda7/"0 Jerusalem I"
> /media/sda7/0 Jerusalem I: ERROR: cannot open `/media/sda7/0 Jerusalem
> I' (No such file or directory)
> steven@Studio25:~$ file /media/sda7/"0 Jerusalem II"
> /media/sda7/0 Jerusalem II: ERROR: cannot open `/media/sda7/0 Jerusalem
> II' (No such file or directory)
> steven@Studio25:~$ find /media/sda7 -name "*Jer* -exec file {} '+'

Missing a quote there, should be find /media/sda7 -name "*Jer*" -exec