Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Jim MacLeod

Default where is the system administration page in Kubuntu 8.10?

David Vohwinkel wrote:

> I am a new to Kubuntu user.. ex-Fedora, but always kde.
>
> I have always had a System->Administration menu page on other
> distributions. Even on Ubuntu 8.10 you can click on System then
> Administration... what am I missing? Does Kubuntu really not have
> this? Is there a way to add this functionality?
>
> I am not talking about "system setting" in the Kubuntu menu.. that is
> for kde specific stuff.. I am talking about printer setups, service
> start control, user accounts changing, etc.. etc...

System Settings - the General tab for printers, user management etc,
Advanced tab for Admin and other settings

> Thanks
>
> -Dave
Jim

Old 01-14-2009, 03:52 PM
"Bas Roufs"

Hello David

> printer setups, service start control, user accounts changing, etc..

Pls. go to the K-menu (left down under), and press at 'Applications'.
From there, go to 'system'. Then you will will see the printer
settings, and all the other items you are look for. If you get stuck
somewhere, close the menu and press again at K Menu > Applications >
etc.

I hope this helps you. Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

2009/1/14 David Vohwinkel <dvohwinkel@gmail.com>:
> I am a new to Kubuntu user.. ex-Fedora, but always kde.
>
> I have always had a System->Administration menu page on other
> distributions. Even on Ubuntu 8.10 you can click on System then
> Administration... what am I missing? Does Kubuntu really not have
>
> this? Is there a way to add this functionality?
>
> I am not talking about "system setting" in the Kubuntu menu.. that is
> for kde specific stuff.. I am talking about printer setups, service
> start control, user accounts changing, etc.. etc...
>

> Thanks
>
> -Dave

===============
Viaconsensus
Bas G. Roufs M.A.
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT Utrecht
M. +31.6.446.835.10
T. +31.30.785.20.40
BasRoufs@gmail.com

Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
David Vohwinkel

ok,

but where is the services option for changing what starts up in
different run levels at boot?

Thanks

-Dave

Old 01-14-2009, 04:28 PM
"Jussi Schultink"

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello David
>
>> printer setups, service start control, user accounts changing, etc..
>
> Pls. go to the K-menu (left down under), and press at 'Applications'.
> From there, go to 'system'. Then you will will see the printer
> settings, and all the other items you are look for. If you get stuck
> somewhere, close the menu and press again at K Menu > Applications >
> etc.
>
> I hope this helps you. Respectfully Yours,
>
> Bas.
>

> 2009/1/14 David Vohwinkel <dvohwinkel@gmail.com>:
>> I am a new to Kubuntu user.. ex-Fedora, but always kde.
>>
>> I have always had a System->Administration menu page on other
>> distributions. Even on Ubuntu 8.10 you can click on System then
>> Administration... what am I missing? Does Kubuntu really not have
>>
>> this? Is there a way to add this functionality?

>> I am not talking about "system setting" in the Kubuntu menu.. that is
>> for kde specific stuff.. I am talking about printer setups, service
>> start control, user accounts changing, etc.. etc...
I think youll find most of that in kmenu -> system or in system
settings -> advanced tab. Somethings that are not in the system
settings, like printers and user setup are just missing because the
module is not yet finished.

- Jussi

Old 01-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Derek Broughton

David Vohwinkel wrote:

Please don't top-post, it makes it hard to have a conversation.

> ok,
>
> but where is the services option for changing what starts up in
> different run levels at boot?

Service Manager

> Bas Roufs wrote:
>>
>> Pls. go to the K-menu (left down under), and press at 'Applications'.
>> >From there, go to 'system'.

Then under the "Advanced" tab.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 11:07 -0500, David Vohwinkel wrote:
> I am a new to Kubuntu user.. ex-Fedora, but always kde.

Welcome to the Fedora Ex-Pats club! Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Derek Broughton

David Vohwinkel wrote:

> I am a new to Kubuntu user.. ex-Fedora, but always kde.
>
> I have always had a System->Administration menu page on other
> distributions. Even on Ubuntu 8.10 you can click on System then
> Administration... what am I missing? Does Kubuntu really not have
> this? Is there a way to add this functionality?
>
> I am not talking about "system setting" in the Kubuntu menu.. that is
> for kde specific stuff.. I am talking about printer setups, service
> start control, user accounts changing, etc.. etc...

Why do you think that's "KDE specific stuff"? It is, as in Ubuntu, "stuff"
that uses Desktop-specific tools to do the management, but it has a KDE
module for printer setup, services, users, etc, etc.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 15 January 2009, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > I am not talking about "system setting" in the Kubuntu menu.. that is
> > for kde specific stuff.. *I am talking about printer setups, service
> > start control, user accounts changing, etc.. etc...
>
> Why do you think that's "KDE specific stuff"? *It is, as in Ubuntu, "stuff"
> that uses Desktop-specific tools to do the management, but it has a KDE
> module for printer setup, services, users, etc, etc.

Anyone know where to set network items?? I have yet to find where I can
specify a fixed IP address and all of the other network settings that used to
be on the 8.04 System Settings page(s).

Old 01-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Thursday 15 January 2009, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> > I am not talking about "system setting" in the Kubuntu menu.. that is
>> > for kde specific stuff.. *I am talking about printer setups, service
>> > start control, user accounts changing, etc.. etc...
>>
>> Why do you think that's "KDE specific stuff"? *It is, as in Ubuntu,
>> "stuff" that uses Desktop-specific tools to do the management, but it has
>> a KDE module for printer setup, services, users, etc, etc.
>
> Anyone know where to set network items?? I have yet to find where I can
> specify a fixed IP address and all of the other network settings that used
> be on the 8.04 System Settings page(s).

<sigh>

Same place - general tab, Network settings

Old 01-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 15 January 2009, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Anyone know where to set network items?? * I have yet to find where I can
> > specify a fixed IP address and all of the other network settings that
> > used to
> > be on the 8.04 *System Settings page(s).
>
> <sigh>
>
> Same place - general tab, Network settings

Uhh want to run that by me again? I went to:

system settings --> network settings

and the only think I see there are proxy settings and socks and some other
unrelated items.

I finally installed knetworkmanager and tried to set up a static IP with a
named connection. It set up ok but there was no way in H it was going to
use it. I would edit the connection, all looked good, "Connect and save"
but I was still connected using a DHCP it picked up at install.

Downing eth0 and bring it back up did nothing. Restarting the networking did
nothing.

I have Hardy on the same machine so what I finally ended up doing was copying
over the ENTIRE /etc/network/ directory from Hardy to Intrepid and now it
works.

Seems to me there are a lot of things that were left out or just plain don't
work in 8.10. It's for that reason that I am not using it.