Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default Q: Simultaneous copy and rename

Is there a way in Konqueror or Dolphin to copy a file from directory A to
directory B, *at the same time* renaming the file in the destination directory?

That is, something equivalent to:
cp dirA/file1 dirB/file2

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 01-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Donn

> Is there a way in Konqueror or Dolphin to copy a file from directory A to
> directory B, *at the same time* renaming the file in the destination
> directory?

Either
1. You drop/paste it and immediately hit F2 and then type a new name.
2. You do your best to invoke psychic powers and/or $god_of_choice to read
your mind, infer the desired new name and call the right functions to name
the file as it hits the target.

I go with option 1

Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Donn wrote:
>> Is there a way in Konqueror or Dolphin to copy a file from directory A to
>> directory B, *at the same time* renaming the file in the destination
>> directory?
>
> Either
> 1. You drop/paste it and immediately hit F2 and then type a new name.
> 2. You do your best to invoke psychic powers and/or $god_of_choice to read
> your mind, infer the desired new name and call the right functions to name
> the file as it hits the target.
>
> I go with option 1

3. you use krename, especially handy when mass renaming is required.

Eberhard

Old 01-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Art Alexion

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 02:52:01 Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Donn wrote:
> >> Is there a way in Konqueror or Dolphin to copy a file from directory A
> >> to directory B, *at the same time* renaming the file in the destination
> >> directory?
> >
> > Either
> > 1. You drop/paste it and immediately hit F2 and then type a new name.
> > 2. You do your best to invoke psychic powers and/or $god_of_choice to
> > read your mind, infer the desired new name and call the right functions
> > to name the file as it hits the target.
> >
> > I go with option 1

> 3. you use krename, especially handy when mass renaming is required.

4. Konqueror 3.5 offers to rename subsequent files with name collisions. I
hope that Konqueror 4/dolphin.part does the same.

That said, I'm not sure how to tell any current program to take a single file
and make two copies of it on the destination. The following command will
work, but it uses && trickery and doesn't answer your GUI-based question.

cp /source.d/file /dest.d/file1 && cp /source.d/file /dest.d/file2

Old 01-14-2009, 02:19 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2009/1/14 D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com>:
> Is there a way in Konqueror or Dolphin to copy a file from directory A to
> directory B, *at the same time* renaming the file in the destination directory?
>
> That is, something equivalent to:
> cp dirA/file1 dirB/file2
>
> Doc

Non i know of but you can always use Krusader. Best filemanager i know
of. In KDE4 it's a little "crippled" compared to the KDE3 version but
it's still a very good filemanger.

/ Jonas

Old 01-14-2009, 03:32 PM
"D. R. Evans"

D. R. Evans said the following at 01/13/2009 04:36 PM :
> Is there a way in Konqueror or Dolphin to copy a file from directory A to
> directory B, *at the same time* renaming the file in the destination directory?
>
> That is, something equivalent to:
> cp dirA/file1 dirB/file2
>
> Doc

OK; I deduce from the replies that this isn't actually possible (not
precisely as the problem statement is written, anyway).

I think I'll file a wish at bugs.kde.org.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR