FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-12-2009, 09:17 PM
"Bas Roufs"
 
Default K3B - how to burn an ISO-CD without errors?

Dear Everybody

Tonight, I downloaded a fresh Kubuntu 8.10 i.386 ISO image - with a
view to burning it on a CD for installation on a laptop. After
downloading the image file, I opened it with K3B - running on a
desktop PC with Kubuntu 8.10. I carried out the MD5SUM check via K3B
and this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
The MD5SUM check went perfectly well. Than, I put an empty CD in the
tray and started the burning process. I simply chose for standard
options:
* automatic speed, etc. K3B chose 16 speed for the process.
* for the 'writing mode' I chose 'auto', instead of 'DAO', 'TAO' or 'RAW'.
* I also chose the option 'verify written data'.
After the end of the burning process, everything seemed OK.
So, I put the CD in the CD/ DVD combodrive of the laptop and I tried
to start the install process. After about 10 minutes the installation
process ended up in a big mess. So, I restarted the CD and carried out
the 'integrity check': there were mistakes in 33 files. So, something
must have gone wrong in the burning process.

Can you give me some advise on how to minimise the risk of mistakes in
the CD burning process? Should I change one or more of the options/
steps mentioned above? Should I add or leave something? In other
words: how can I get an i.386 ISO desktop CD without errors?

Thanks for replying.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas Roufs.

--
===============
Viaconsensus
Bas G. Roufs M.A.
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT Utrecht
M. +31.6.446.835.10
T. +31.30.785.20.40
BasRoufs@gmail.com
===============

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Matthew Flaschen
 
Default K3B - how to burn an ISO-CD without errors?

Bas Roufs wrote:
> After the end of the burning process, everything seemed OK.
> So, I put the CD in the CD/ DVD combodrive of the laptop and I tried
> to start the install process. After about 10 minutes the installation
> process ended up in a big mess.

Can you clarify?

> Can you give me some advise on how to minimise the risk of mistakes in
> the CD burning process? Should I change one or more of the options/
> steps mentioned above?

You can try decreasing the speed to 8x. Higher speeds have higher error
rates.

Matt Flaschen


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default K3B - how to burn an ISO-CD without errors?

On Monday 12 January 2009, Bas Roufs wrote:
>Dear Everybody
>
>Tonight, I downloaded a fresh Kubuntu 8.10 i.386 ISO image - with a
>view to burning it on a CD for installation on a laptop. After
>downloading the image file, I opened it with K3B - running on a
>desktop PC with Kubuntu 8.10. I carried out the MD5SUM check via K3B
>and this page:
>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
>The MD5SUM check went perfectly well. Than, I put an empty CD in the
>tray and started the burning process. I simply chose for standard
>options:
>* automatic speed, etc. K3B chose 16 speed for the process.
>* for the 'writing mode' I chose 'auto', instead of 'DAO', 'TAO' or 'RAW'.
>* I also chose the option 'verify written data'.

That has not worked in 2 or 3 years for the majority of the users. Do your
own verifying by looking at the filesize of the iso you have burnt and
dividing that by 2048, the std block size for optical media. Then use that
number in a statement somewhat like this:

dd if=/media/cdrom(or whatever it is) bs=2048 count=the number you got from
the division and use a pipe or whatever to feed it to md5sum. If the burn is
good, it will match the md5sum of the source iso file.

>After the end of the burning process, everything seemed OK.
>So, I put the CD in the CD/ DVD combodrive of the laptop and I tried
>to start the install process. After about 10 minutes the installation
>process ended up in a big mess. So, I restarted the CD and carried out
>the 'integrity check': there were mistakes in 33 files. So, something
>must have gone wrong in the burning process.

Sounds like, toss it and do the next burn at the minimum speed the drive can
do, in DAO mode. Some drives are pretty optimistic about their working write
speed.

>Can you give me some advise on how to minimise the risk of mistakes in
>the CD burning process? Should I change one or more of the options/
>steps mentioned above? Should I add or leave something? In other
>words: how can I get an i.386 ISO desktop CD without errors?

See above, it is several steps in the right direction. If it still fails, try
cleaning the laser and lens with one of those cleaning disks, replace the
drive cable etc. If that fails, bin the drive.

>Thanks for replying.
>
>Respectfully Yours,
>
>Bas Roufs.
>
>--
>===============
>Viaconsensus
>Bas G. Roufs M.A.
>Van 't Hoffstraat 1
>NL-3514 VT Utrecht
>M. +31.6.446.835.10
>T. +31.30.785.20.40
>BasRoufs@gmail.com
>===============



--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Windows is the only solitaire game that requires 16 MB of RAM.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Eberhard Roloff
 
Default K3B - how to burn an ISO-CD without errors?

Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> See above, it is several steps in the right direction. If it still fails, try
> cleaning the laser and lens with one of those cleaning disks, replace the
> drive cable etc. If that fails, bin the drive.
>
Hi,

before you bin the drive, you might take a look at your phsical burner
setup.
If your burner is SATA, just forget about it.
I
f it is IDE, you might try to connect it as a master to his very own IDE
channel.

Doing it like this you will provide a unique IRQ and dma channel to your
burner.

Just worth a try.

Kind regards
Eberhard


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-13-2009, 09:45 AM
alan c
 
Default K3B - how to burn an ISO-CD without errors?

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Dear Everybody
>
> Tonight, I downloaded a fresh Kubuntu 8.10 i.386 ISO image - with a
> view to burning it on a CD for installation on a laptop. After
> downloading the image file, I opened it with K3B - running on a
> desktop PC with Kubuntu 8.10. I carried out the MD5SUM check via K3B
> and this page:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
> The MD5SUM check went perfectly well. Than, I put an empty CD in the
> tray and started the burning process. I simply chose for standard
> options:
> * automatic speed, etc. K3B chose 16 speed for the process.
> * for the 'writing mode' I chose 'auto', instead of 'DAO', 'TAO' or 'RAW'.
> * I also chose the option 'verify written data'.

k3b 'verify' has not worked recently, not sure about kubuntu 8.10
though. I use an independent md5sum activity now.

> After the end of the burning process, everything seemed OK.
> So, I put the CD in the CD/ DVD combodrive of the laptop and I tried
> to start the install process. After about 10 minutes the installation
> process ended up in a big mess. So, I restarted the CD and carried out
> the 'integrity check': there were mistakes in 33 files. So, something
> must have gone wrong in the burning process.

I would expect an md5sum type of check would give a similar result to
a cd self verify check. However, in one machine I was amazed that I
got very inconsistent results. I did many tests and concluded that the
machine which had been donated to me, had a fairly small power supply
capacity, and the power suppluy was falling below requirements on some
occasions - during install there is a lot of CD drive activity and
also HD activity so the PSU is stressed.

The PC had been purchased with one cd rom drive. Later a CD RW drive
was also fitted and took more power. When I removed the CDRW drive,
all results were consistent and good. I would have fitted a more
powerful PSU however it was a very special size in that particular
(Dell) model.

On other projects I found I had unknowingly purchased 100 CD blanks
which were very poor quality. I needed a lot of burning. I checked
most CDs after burn. Nearly 30 % were failed on md5sum checks. They
would probably have been ok for some other cd activities, audio etc,
but not for iso image burn, which needs to be bit perfect afaik.

Burning at an even slower speed did help a bit but the main trouble
then was a poor batch of CDs.

good luck
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391
Linux user #360648

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 AM
"Bas Roufs"
 
Default K3B - how to burn an ISO-CD without errors?

Hello Matthew
(...)
>> After the end of the burning process, everything seemed OK.
>> So, I put the CD in the CD/ DVD combodrive of the laptop and I tried
>> to start the install process. After about 10 minutes the installation
>> process ended up in a big mess.
>
> Can you clarify?

The 'mess' I talked about in my previous message, consisted of a whole
bunch of error messages, quickly rolling over a black screen. The most
frequently observed kind of message was like this:
[ 2369.165361] Buffer i/o error on device sr0, logical block 843904.
Via another user group, it has become clear to me that 'sr0' refers to
the CD ROM.

> You can try decreasing the speed to 8x.
> Higher speeds have higher error rates.
Thx. for this useful advise.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

--
===============
Viaconsensus
Bas G. Roufs M.A.
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT Utrecht
M. +31.6.446.835.10
T. +31.30.785.20.40
BasRoufs@gmail.com
===============

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 AM
"Bas Roufs"
 
Default K3B - how to burn an ISO-CD without errors?

Hello Gene and everybody

With respect to this seemingly useful check procedure:

> Do your own verifying by looking at the filesize of the iso you have
> burnt and dividing that by 2048, the std block size for optical media. > Then use that number in a statement somewhat like this:
> dd if=/media/cdrom(or whatever it is) bs=2048 count=the number you
> got from the division ....

Is it also possible to carry out such a check before finally, really
burning the CD?

With respect to MD5SUM....

> ..use a pipe or whatever to feed it to md5sum. If the burn is
> good, it will match the md5sum of the source iso file.

Please, explain. Should the number coming out of the division of the
check mentioned above, need to equal the MD5SUM number?

(SNIP)

> Sounds like, toss it and do the next burn at the minimum speed the
> drive can do, in DAO mode. Some drives are pretty optimistic about
> their working write speed.

Clear. OK.

>> (SNIP) Can you give me some advise on how to minimise the risk of
>> mistakes in the CD burning process? (SNIP)

> See above, it is several steps in the right direction. If it still fails, try
> cleaning the laser and lens with one of those cleaning disks, replace the
> drive cable etc. If that fails, bin the drive.

Till quite recently the drive seemed to work quite well, also in
combination with K3B. So I first try all possible other options before
thinking about 'binning'.

However it may be, thanks for your advise.

Bas.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Gene Heskett
 
Default K3B - how to burn an ISO-CD without errors?

On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Bas Roufs wrote:
>Hello Gene and everybody
>
>With respect to this seemingly useful check procedure:
>> Do your own verifying by looking at the filesize of the iso you have
>> burnt and dividing that by 2048, the std block size for optical media. >
>> Then use that number in a statement somewhat like this: dd
>> if=/media/cdrom(or whatever it is) bs=2048 count=the number you got from
>> the division ....
>
>Is it also possible to carry out such a check before finally, really
>burning the CD?

The file is easy to check, see man md5sum. But that doesn't check the burnt
disk's integrity at all, no connection in fact.

>With respect to MD5SUM....
>
>> ..use a pipe or whatever to feed it to md5sum. If the burn is
>> good, it will match the md5sum of the source iso file.
>
>Please, explain. Should the number coming out of the division of the
>check mentioned above, need to equal the MD5SUM number?
>
No, this becomes the 'count=' number of blocks to read from the drive with the
dd utility. This prevents any garbage beyond the end of the file from
getting into your md5sum calculations. The data format of a cd or dvd
doesn't have an explicit EOF, so you need to control that yourself via this
method of limiting the read to be exactly what was written, no more, no less,
not even a single byte difference in the length.

>(SNIP)
>
>> Sounds like, toss it and do the next burn at the minimum speed the
>> drive can do, in DAO mode. Some drives are pretty optimistic about
>> their working write speed.
>
>Clear. OK.
>
>>> (SNIP) Can you give me some advise on how to minimise the risk of
>>> mistakes in the CD burning process? (SNIP)
>>
>> See above, it is several steps in the right direction. If it still fails,
>> try cleaning the laser and lens with one of those cleaning disks, replace
>> the drive cable etc. If that fails, bin the drive.
>
>Till quite recently the drive seemed to work quite well, also in
>combination with K3B. So I first try all possible other options before
>thinking about 'binning'.

I've had the same experience, several times, usually I relegate that drive to
read only chores in another box, I'm using 2 old writers that way right now,
one of them was a LightScribe drive too. With new ones being a commodity
item at 50-80 bucks in most locales, and even cheaper (down into the 20
dollar range the last time I looked a week ago) by mail order, its just not
worth it to fight with a flaky one.

>However it may be, thanks for your advise.
>
>Bas.



--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The Poems, all three hundred of them, may be summed up in one of their
phrases:
"Let our thoughts be correct".
-- Confucius

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 AM
"Bas Roufs"
 
Default K3B - how to burn an ISO-CD without errors?

Dear Eberhard and everybody

> before you bin the drive, you might take a look at your phsical burner
> setup. If your burner is SATA, just forget about it.

The two (80 and 160 GB) harddisks I have in my HP Pavilion t3240, are
'SATA'. However, the list of specifications of my machine does not
clarify whether the burner is 'IDE' or 'SATA'. That list can be found
online via this link:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00517811&lc=en&dlc=sv&cc=se&prod uct=1148443&lang=sv
Is there another way to find out whether this burner is 'IDE' or 'SATA'?
With respect to my CD/DVD burner, this has been written on the
specifications list:

"(...)16X DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL drive. Must use Double-Layer media
discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology (...)"


> If it is IDE, you might try to connect it as a master to his very own IDE
> channel.

Can you briefly explain how?

>
> Doing it like this you will provide a unique IRQ and dma channel to your
> burner.

Please, explain what you mean with 'IRQ' and 'dma'.

Thanks!

Bas.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 AM
"Jonas Norlander"
 
Default K3B - how to burn an ISO-CD without errors?

2009/1/13 Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com>:
> Dear Eberhard and everybody
>
>> before you bin the drive, you might take a look at your phsical burner
>> setup. If your burner is SATA, just forget about it.
>
> The two (80 and 160 GB) harddisks I have in my HP Pavilion t3240, are
> 'SATA'. However, the list of specifications of my machine does not
> clarify whether the burner is 'IDE' or 'SATA'. That list can be found
> online via this link:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00517811&lc=en&dlc=sv&cc=se&prod uct=1148443&lang=sv
> Is there another way to find out whether this burner is 'IDE' or 'SATA'?
> With respect to my CD/DVD burner, this has been written on the
> specifications list:
>
> "(...)16X DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL drive. Must use Double-Layer media
> discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology (...)"
>
>
>> If it is IDE, you might try to connect it as a master to his very own IDE
>> channel.
>
> Can you briefly explain how?
>
>>
>> Doing it like this you will provide a unique IRQ and dma channel to your
>> burner.
>
> Please, explain what you mean with 'IRQ' and 'dma'.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bas.

Wikipedia is your friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_memory_access

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org