-   -   9.04 Nvidia help needed (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/226299-9-04-nvidia-help-needed.html)

Knapp 01-12-2009 06:07 AM

9.04 Nvidia help needed

Anyone know how to install the drivers? At first I thought that KDE4 was the worlds slowest desktop but then I saw it was using the NV driver. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the other drivers. If I install Nvidia from the repos it unistalls all of X!

Ideas? (Yes, I know it is alpha. I thought I would try and see if I could help.)
--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

Octavian Florea 01-12-2009 06:23 AM

9.04 Nvidia help needed

You must look in the ppa archives for nvidia-180-kernel-source,
nvidia-180-modaliases, nvidia-glx-180.
Then you need to modify xorg.conf, adding the following lines:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "IgnoreABI" "True"
EndSection

Ric Moore 01-12-2009 07:00 AM

9.04 Nvidia help needed

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 08:07 +0100, Knapp wrote:
> Anyone know how to install the drivers? At first I thought that KDE4
> was the worlds slowest desktop but then I saw it was using the NV
> driver. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the other
> drivers. If I install Nvidia from the repos it unistalls all of X!
> Ideas? (Yes, I know it is alpha. I thought I would try and see if I
> could help.)

I use envyNG and it works a charm! :) Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Knapp 01-12-2009 10:42 AM

9.04 Nvidia help needed

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 08:07 +0100, Knapp wrote:

> Anyone know how to install the drivers? At first I thought that KDE4

> was the worlds slowest desktop but then I saw it was using the NV

> driver. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the other

> drivers. If I install Nvidia from the repos it unistalls all of X!

> Ideas? (Yes, I know it is alpha. I thought I would try and see if I

> could help.)

I use envyNG and it works a charm! :) Ric

envyNG does it job but has the same results as my first way. It takes out the xorg program and nothing works. Only fix is to reinstall the nv drivers and everything else, best way is with install kubuntu-KDE4-desktop.

Knapp 01-12-2009 03:57 PM

9.04 Nvidia help needed

You must look in the ppa archives for nvidia-180-kernel-source,

nvidia-180-modaliases, nvidia-glx-180.

Then you need to modify xorg.conf, adding the following lines:

Section "ServerFlags"

Option "IgnoreABI" "True"

EndSection
Tried your ideas too but still it takes out xorg and will not run. Perhaps, I just have to wait a few more weeks and try again.
*

Octavian Florea 01-12-2009 04:11 PM

9.04 Nvidia help needed

On 01/12/2009 06:57 PM, Knapp wrote:

> Tried your ideas too but still it takes out xorg and will not run.
> Perhaps, I just have to wait a few more weeks and try again.
This is very strange, as I have been running jaunty with nvidia-glx-180
for two weeks now.
It is true that the ppa packages I used then to install the nvidia
drivers are no longer available.
However, nvidia launched the 180.22 version of the drivers, which are
currently building on launchpad, so maybe those will work for you.

Knapp 01-12-2009 06:33 PM

9.04 Nvidia help needed

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Octavian Florea <miron.florea@web.de> wrote:

On 01/12/2009 06:57 PM, Knapp wrote:

> Tried your ideas too but still it takes out xorg and will not run.

> Perhaps, I just have to wait a few more weeks and try again.

This is very strange, as I have been running jaunty with nvidia-glx-180

for two weeks now.

It is true that the ppa packages I used then to install the nvidia

drivers are no longer available.

However, nvidia launched the 180.22 version of the drivers, which are

currently building on launchpad, so maybe those will work for you.

I will report back, but what is going on is really something stranger than that. I think it might be a problem with the dependencies in apt-get. Every time I install nvidia from the repo apt-get removes all the other vid driver and it removes xorg too!

I could post a transcript of it all. Maybe that would help pinpoint the problem but then it might be easier to just wait a bit. I am not up on the alpha side of things, and what they might need or what from me.

Octavian Florea 01-12-2009 07:06 PM

9.04 Nvidia help needed

On 01/12/2009 09:33 PM, Knapp wrote:
> I will report back, but what is going on is really something stranger
> than that. I think it might be a problem with the dependencies in
> apt-get. Every time I install nvidia from the repo apt-get removes all
> the other vid driver and it removes xorg too!
Indeed, installing nvidia-glx from the jaunty official repos removes
xorg. However, nvidia-glx-180 from the ppa (
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas ) don't (or at least they did not for
me).

Knapp 01-13-2009 11:22 AM

9.04 Nvidia help needed

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Octavian Florea <miron.florea@web.de> wrote:

On 01/12/2009 09:33 PM, Knapp wrote:

> I will report back, but what is going on is really something stranger

> than that. I think it might be a problem with the dependencies in

> apt-get. Every time I install nvidia from the repo apt-get removes all

> the other vid driver and it removes xorg too!

Indeed, installing nvidia-glx from the jaunty official repos removes

xorg. However, nvidia-glx-180 from the ppa (

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas ) don't (or at least they did not for

me).

Sorry for being ignorant but what is the PPA for? I clicked on it and looked around a bit. Also how do you install those files?

Octavian Florea 01-13-2009 12:10 PM

9.04 Nvidia help needed

Quote from the Ubuntu PPA:
Personal Package Archives (PPA) allow you to upload Ubuntu source
packages to be built and published as an apt repository by Launchpad.

More info here:
https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA
https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA#Installing%20software%20from%20a%20PPA

In short, to install the right nvidia-glx-180 package you have to find a
ppa that has them and then either add the lines provided to your
/etc/apt/sources.list or manually download and install packages.

The packages I installed were removed from the ppa where I got them, but
are available here:
https://launchpad.net/~thomas-creutz/+archive

However the ABI mismatch issue still exists, so you would have to add to
your xorg.conf the section mentioned before.

Another solution would be to build your own nvidia driver debs, which is
what I intend to do from now on.