Old 01-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Ulrich Grn

Default WiFi-printers Error: 'no DHCPOFFERS received'

Namast,

I've connected my HP C6380 via the Linksys WUSB54gr wireless card (at least, that is what I try).

The configuration program RutilT finds my printer, as soon as the printer is on. My laptop then sends 'DHCPDISCOVER on WLAN0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15'.

After some attempts, I receive the message: 'no DHCPOFFERS received', and RutilT shows my printer as disconnected again.

Does anybody know (or has a clue) what might be going on? The HP software on my linuxbox (Debian 4.0) is well installed.

Thanks.

--

Love and Light,

Ulrich

`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`

" To faith only the holy is true, to knowledge only the true is holy "

(L. Feuerbach)

`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`

OS: Kubuntu 8.04 (Linux) de.geocities.com/india_ulrich/Philosophie.html

Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 PM
John Hubbard

Ulrich Grn wrote:

> Namast,
>
> I've connected my HP C6380 via the Linksys WUSB54gr wireless card (at
> least, that is what I try).
>
> The configuration program RutilT finds my printer, as soon as the
> printer is on. My laptop then sends 'DHCPDISCOVER on WLAN0 to
> 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15'.
>
> After some attempts, I receive the message: 'no DHCPOFFERS
> received', and RutilT shows my printer as disconnected again.
>
> Does anybody know (or has a clue) what might be going on? The HP
> software on my linuxbox (Debian 4.0) is well installed.

It sounds like you don't have a DHCP Server anywhere on the wireless
network. If you only have your laptop (with wireless) and a printer
attached to a WUSB45gr are going to have problems. You will either need
to set up your laptop to be wireless router/DHCP server or invest in a
wireless router. Hope this helps.

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Eberhard Roloff

John Hubbard wrote:
> Ulrich Grn wrote:
>> Namast,
>>
>> I've connected my HP C6380 via the Linksys WUSB54gr wireless card (at
>> least, that is what I try).
>>
>> The configuration program RutilT finds my printer, as soon as the
>> printer is on. My laptop then sends 'DHCPDISCOVER on WLAN0 to
>> 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15'.
>>
>> After some attempts, I receive the message: 'no DHCPOFFERS
>> received', and RutilT shows my printer as disconnected again.
>>
>> Does anybody know (or has a clue) what might be going on? The HP
>> software on my linuxbox (Debian 4.0) is well installed.
>>
> It sounds like you don't have a DHCP Server anywhere on the wireless
> network. If you only have your laptop (with wireless) and a printer
> attached to a WUSB45gr are going to have problems. You will either need
> to set up your laptop to be wireless router/DHCP server or invest in a
> wireless router. Hope this helps.

While it is surely a good idea to have a dhcp Server (or a router acting
as a dhcp server) on any network, from my experience, you will want to
set a fixed IP Adress for a network printer and this applies to wireless
as well.

Doing it like this, you will not have to ask yourself where to find your
printer, when there is trouble. ;-)

I am slightly confused how your configuration program shortly locates
your printer when you do not have wireless connectivity on your laptop?

Just to clarify, what is wired and what is wireless in your network?

And is there a router where wires and wireless devices are interconnected?
If so, switch on the dhcp server within the router configuration and
report back what happens.

Eberhard

Old 01-13-2009, 04:08 PM
"Ulrich Grn"

Hi, Eberhard, John end the rest of the list.

<---->
> While it is surely a good idea to have a dhcp Server (or a router acting
> as a dhcp server) on any network, from my experience, you will want to
> set a fixed IP Adress for a network printer and this applies to wireless
> as well.
>
> Doing it like this, you will not have to ask yourself where to find your
> printer, when there is trouble. ;-)
>
> I am slightly confused how your configuration program shortly locates
> your printer when you do not have wireless connectivity on your laptop?
>
> Just to clarify, what is wired and what is wireless in your network?

Nothing is wired (and everything is weird, but that is another thing).
My Printer has a WiFi interface and my laptop is equipped with the
Linksys Wireless-G USB network adapter with >>RangeBooster<< (yes!)
My printer has a fixed IP address. RutilT finds the Printer (the
printer then prints some network status, which looks exactly as with
WinXP), but somehow the DHCP part doesn't work.

> And is there a router where wires and wireless devices are interconnected?
> If so, switch on the dhcp server within the router configuration and
> report back what happens.

No router. My Desktop is connected via LAN, the laptop and the printer
have to communicate to each other apart from the LAN (which they
refuse until now).

I have no pasword protection at this moment (it apparently is not a
password problem).
It seems very much to be a DHCP problem, since I receive a lot of
DHCPREQUEST, DHCPDISCOVER and No DHCPOFFERS Received. Is there a way
to not need DHCP but use an IP address?

Cheers,
Ulrich
`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`

" Can't talk to you without talking to me; we're guilty of the same old thing.
Thinking a lot about less and less, and forgetting the love we bring "
[Grateful Dead, in: 'Althea']

`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`
de.geocities.com/india_ulrich/
http://de.geocities.com/india_ulrich/Philosophie.html

Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Ulrich Grn wrote:

> Nothing is wired

ok

(and everything is weird, but that is another thing).

No, imho wireless is weird, I use it only, when nothing else works. ;-))

> My Printer has a WiFi interface and my laptop is equipped with the
> Linksys Wireless-G USB network adapter with >>RangeBooster<< (yes!)

Maybe you can take your laptop and visit a friend that uses a wireless
router, just to make sure that your wireless USB adaptor works ok.

> My printer has a fixed IP address. RutilT finds the Printer (the
> printer then prints some network status, which looks exactly as with
> WinXP), but somehow the DHCP part doesn't work.

sure, since from what you say (more precisely from what I understood,)
there is no dhcp server within your network.

> No router. My Desktop is connected via LAN,
with LAN, you mean wired? To what is your Desktop connected?

the laptop and the printer
> have to communicate to each other apart from the LAN (which they
> refuse until now).

For my rather limited knowledge, using printer and laptop like this
(i.e. without an accesspoint or a wireless router) means, that you are
trying to build up an "adhoc"wireless network.
Independantly of whether this might work (google will most probably help
you with this, I personally never did it and I do not know whether your
printer supports this network mode), I would strongly suggest to
consider getting an access point or the like in order to build up a
"real" network.
If you do not want to invest into an accesspoint/wireless router, you
might consider converting your existing desktop into a wireless
accesspoint to which you then connect your laptop and your printer,
respectively.

> I have no pasword protection at this moment (it apparently is not a
> password problem).
> It seems very much to be a DHCP problem, since I receive a lot of
> DHCPREQUEST, DHCPDISCOVER and No DHCPOFFERS Received. Is there a way
> to not need DHCP but use an IP address?
sure there is. Ex have a look here
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/setting-up-an-network-interfaces-file/

you will most probably need to adjust your settings to what you actually
have, especially in regard to the interface name.

cheers
Eberhard