-   -   Grub 1.5 Error 17 (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/225550-grub-1-5-error-17-a.html)

Ash 01-10-2009 09:58 AM

Grub 1.5 Error 17

Hi all,

I dared to adjust the partion space on my notebook today.

Upon reboot,, I am getting the message "Grub 1.5 loading.... please wait " followed by Error 17.

I have no idea what to do next.

Pls advise.

Thank you

- Ash
--
Generate space in life by generating space in our own mind!!

Karl Klinger 01-10-2009 04:35 PM

Grub 1.5 Error 17

Ash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I dared to adjust the partion space on my notebook today.
>
> Upon reboot,, I am getting the message "Grub 1.5 loading.... please wait
> " followed by Error 17.

The problem is that the master boot record on your hard disk no longer
points to the partition containing grub and the kernel.

To fix it, boot with install cd and choose the option to rescue a broken
system (i'm not familiar with the live cd, but I would think it must
have such an option). Then enter the following commands:

grub
root (hd0,nn)
setup (hd0)
quit

where hd0 is the first hard disk (I assume there is only one on your
laptop), and nn is the zero-based partition number of the partition
containing the grub files and the kernel. For example, if the boot
files are on sda3, nn would be 2.

You should now be able to boot and get the grub menu, and if the uuid's
of your partitions haven't changed, you should be set to go.

Karl