Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Default Linux and "offline folders"

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2009/1/12 O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com>:
>> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> Why reinvent the wheel? Unison works on Windows, _is_ rsync based, and
>>> handles bidirectional changes.
>>>

>> Am busy testing that too at the moment but thanks for the pointer.
>> I get problems with subdirectories on both rsync and unison at this
>> time, they sometimes refuse to create subdirs and all files in them on
>> the target
>>

> I use unison on three computers to sync my foto archive, one is my
> server where push all updates to from the other computers. It has
> worked like a charmed for over a year and i have never seen the
> problems you describe. My machines are all runningl Linux so perhaps
> its a problem with Windows?
>
> / Jonas

The weird thing is that where I get this problem the server is actually
samba-based, Ebox... on the "pure" windows servers I think I can get it
working.
Next problem - where do I place a script to get it to run on
logout/shutdown, not login/boot?

Old 01-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Derek Broughton

O. Sinclair wrote:

> Maybe someone can assist on this. I have (and am still) searched the
> internet for information on how one can implement the windows concept of
> "offline folders" in a linux client environment.

It seemed amazing to me that nobody had apparently done this, since it
should be relatively simple with FUSE. So I entered the amazingly complex
query "linux offline filesystem" into Google and got this as the first hit:

http://www.vertical-visions.de/2009/01/07/ofs-offline-file-system-on-
ubuntu-810/

It looks like it aims to be exactly what you want, if you're willing to
settle for Samba as the network component. otoh, I'm not sure whether it's
ever been finished.