Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Ignazio Palmisano

Default Linux and "offline folders"

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> 2009/1/9 O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com>:
>> I'm using unison to sync my files between 3 computers and it has
>> worked fine for my needs. It don't have the automagical you want, it's
>> just a secure (SSH) plain and simple synchronization but perhaps it
>> can be configured to your needs.
>
> I know about unison, have also had a look at "luckybackup" and various
> rsync facilities. Eg Smb4K has an excellent syncing facility as has
> Krusader. Problem is they all require "user intervention" and I would
> like this to be transparent. To me this is almost "last piece of the
> puzzle" to get a linux-client to replace Windows w/o users or management
> being able to say "and what about this facility/software" etc.
>
> At the moment I am looking at csync, it seems very promising:
> http://www.csync.org/
>
> Sinclair

What about combining rsync and cron? Like checking if the remote folder
can be reached every x minutes?

I.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>>> 2009/1/9 O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com>:
>>> I'm using unison to sync my files between 3 computers and it has
>>> worked fine for my needs. It don't have the automagical you want, it's
>>> just a secure (SSH) plain and simple synchronization but perhaps it
>>> can be configured to your needs.
>>
>> I know about unison, have also had a look at "luckybackup" and various
>> rsync facilities. Eg Smb4K has an excellent syncing facility as has
>> Krusader. Problem is they all require "user intervention" and I would
>> like this to be transparent. To me this is almost "last piece of the
>> puzzle" to get a linux-client to replace Windows w/o users or
>> management being able to say "and what about this facility/software" etc.
>>
>> At the moment I am looking at csync, it seems very promising:
>> http://www.csync.org/
>>
>> Sinclair
>>

> What about combining rsync and cron? Like checking if the remote folder
> can be reached every x minutes?
>
> I.

I have been considering something like that, am trying to get my head
around rsync and all its options

Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>>> 2009/1/9 O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com>:
>>> I'm using unison to sync my files between 3 computers and it has
>>> worked fine for my needs. It don't have the automagical you want, it's
>>> just a secure (SSH) plain and simple synchronization but perhaps it
>>> can be configured to your needs.
>>
>> I know about unison, have also had a look at "luckybackup" and various
>> rsync facilities. Eg Smb4K has an excellent syncing facility as has
>> Krusader. Problem is they all require "user intervention" and I would
>> like this to be transparent. To me this is almost "last piece of the
>> puzzle" to get a linux-client to replace Windows w/o users or
>> management being able to say "and what about this facility/software" etc.
>>
>> At the moment I am looking at csync, it seems very promising:
>> http://www.csync.org/
>>
>> Sinclair
>>

> What about combining rsync and cron? Like checking if the remote folder
> can be reached every x minutes?
>
> I.

I get a problem with this part, taken from rsync man page:
"Note that rsync must be installed on both the source and destination
machines"

Given that the server is Windows 2003 Server I doubt rsync will run on it...

Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Ignazio Palmisano

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
>> O. Sinclair wrote:
>>>
>>> I know about unison, have also had a look at "luckybackup" and
>>> various rsync facilities. Eg Smb4K has an excellent syncing facility
>>> as has Krusader. Problem is they all require "user intervention" and
>>> I would like this to be transparent. To me this is almost "last piece
>>> of the puzzle" to get a linux-client to replace Windows w/o users or
>>> management being able to say "and what about this facility/software"
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> At the moment I am looking at csync, it seems very promising:
>>> http://www.csync.org/
>>>
>>> Sinclair
>>>

>> What about combining rsync and cron? Like checking if the remote
>> folder can be reached every x minutes?
>>
>> I.
>>
> I get a problem with this part, taken from rsync man page:
> "Note that rsync must be installed on both the source and destination
> machines"
>
> Given that the server is Windows 2003 Server I doubt rsync will run on
> it...

Mmm fair point... I wonder if you can mount a samba share with a cron
job, then the origin and destination machines would be the same, with
the windows bit only saving the files...
I.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:37:45 pm O. Sinclair wrote:

> I get a problem with this part, taken from rsync man page:

> "Note that rsync must be installed on both the source and destination

> machines"

I thinks that's only if you're trying to talk to a rsync server or via ssh. If the 2003 server exposes a windows share and the linux pc has it mounted you should be able to do the following:

rsync -a /home/mydir /media/server2003/itsdir

--

Lindsay Mathieson

http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home

Old 01-12-2009, 10:55 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:37:45 pm O. Sinclair wrote:
> > I get a problem with this part, taken from rsync man page:
> > "Note that rsync must be installed on both the source and destination
> > machines"
>

> I thinks that's only if you're trying to talk to a rsync server or via
> ssh. If the 2003 server exposes a windows share and the linux pc has it
> mounted you should be able to do the following:
>

> rsync -a /home/mydir /media/server2003/itsdir

You are right, I am working on it. "Only" problem now is that I normally
do not automount the samba/win shares but rather use smb4K for the users
to connect - they just get headaches while travelling otherwise, error
messages from failed mounts

Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:37:45 pm O. Sinclair wrote:

> Given that the server is Windows 2003 Server I doubt rsync will run on

> it...

Also rsync servers can be installed on windows, usually via cygwin. Here's a blog entrie that details 3 different ways to do it:

http://tinyurl.com/5jk5x6

Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Derek Broughton

O. Sinclair wrote:

> Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
>>
>> What about combining rsync and cron? Like checking if the remote folder
>> can be reached every x minutes?
>>
> I have been considering something like that, am trying to get my head
> around rsync and all its options

Why reinvent the wheel? Unison works on Windows, _is_ rsync based, and
handles bidirectional changes.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:15 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Derek Broughton wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>
>> Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
>>> What about combining rsync and cron? Like checking if the remote folder
>>> can be reached every x minutes?
>>>
>> I have been considering something like that, am trying to get my head
>> around rsync and all its options
>
> Why reinvent the wheel? Unison works on Windows, _is_ rsync based, and
> handles bidirectional changes.

Am busy testing that too at the moment but thanks for the pointer.
I get problems with subdirectories on both rsync and unison at this
time, they sometimes refuse to create subdirs and all files in them on
the target

Old 01-12-2009, 04:14 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2009/1/12 O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com>:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> I have been considering something like that, am trying to get my head
>>> around rsync and all its options
>>
>> Why reinvent the wheel? Unison works on Windows, _is_ rsync based, and
>> handles bidirectional changes.
>>

> Am busy testing that too at the moment but thanks for the pointer.
> I get problems with subdirectories on both rsync and unison at this
> time, they sometimes refuse to create subdirs and all files in them on
> the target

I use unison on three computers to sync my foto archive, one is my
server where push all updates to from the other computers. It has
worked like a charmed for over a year and i have never seen the
problems you describe. My machines are all runningl Linux so perhaps
its a problem with Windows?

/ Jonas