Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Dexter Filmore

Default nvidia 179/180 on 8.04: kernel upgrades?

I installed nvidia-glx with envy-qt which only offers version 173.
I'd like to upgrade to 179 or 180 for performance reasons.
So my only option here seems to use the nvidia installer.
Question: will it survive a kernel upgrade like the one installed with envy
does?

Dex

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de

Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 08 January 2009, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> I installed nvidia-glx with envy-qt which only offers version 173.
> I'd like to upgrade to 179 or 180 for performance reasons.
> So my only option here seems to use the nvidia installer.
> Question: will it survive a kernel upgrade like the one installed with envy
> does?

More than likely..... but each new kernel change will require you to run
through the NV install again. Usually a 2 minute process.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Dexter Filmore

Am Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2009 23:09:51 schrieb Bruce Marshall:
> On Thursday 08 January 2009, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > I installed nvidia-glx with envy-qt which only offers version 173.
> > I'd like to upgrade to 179 or 180 for performance reasons.
> > So my only option here seems to use the nvidia installer.
> > Question: will it survive a kernel upgrade like the one installed with
> > envy does?
>
> More than likely..... but each new kernel change will require you to run
> through the NV install again. Usually a 2 minute process.

Bloody hell. Isn't there a new envy with 179 or so?
Backport perhaps?
Experimental?

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de

Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2009/1/8 Dexter Filmore <Dexter.Filmore@gmx.de>:
> Am Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2009 23:09:51 schrieb Bruce Marshall:
>> On Thursday 08 January 2009, Dexter Filmore wrote:
>> > I installed nvidia-glx with envy-qt which only offers version 173.
>> > I'd like to upgrade to 179 or 180 for performance reasons.
>> > So my only option here seems to use the nvidia installer.
>> > Question: will it survive a kernel upgrade like the one installed with
>> > envy does?
>>
>> More than likely..... but each new kernel change will require you to run
>> through the NV install again. Usually a 2 minute process.
>
> Bloody hell. Isn't there a new envy with 179 or so?
> Backport perhaps?
> Experimental?

This morning when i logged in i saw that they got 180.11 for Intrepid.
It looks like most of the bitmap corruption is gone when opening
programs, switching pictures in Gwenview etc. but i can still see some
artifacts in the taskbar.
This is Intrepid so it want help you though.

/ Jonas