Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Graham Todd

Default Can't Install Kubuntu 8.10 Properly - HELP!!

I've been using the Kubuntu 3.x builds without any problem for years,
and tried the earliest versions of Kubuntu 4.0 without hitch, with my
i386 machine.

However, after getting an amd64 machine, I haven't been able to
download and burn an amd64 .iso file for CD or DVD that works. I have
two disk drives, both LG in make, one a DVD-rom reader only, the other
a DVD reader/burner.

When I download a version of Kubuntu 8.10 and then burn it - either to
DVD or CD - it is read and brings up the familiar blue curly desktop
and appears in every way fine. However, when I try to install it and
then reboot, it stops with a black screen with an oblong which can just
be defined in outline, but is coloured VERY dark grey - virtually
black. The hard drive activity light goes out and even if I leave it
for a hour or more, nothing further happens.

Again, I'm aware that the speed of burning can have some effect on
disks, but I've burnt new copies at speeds from 4 to 16 with the same
result (getting quite a load of casters to give away next
Christmas!) :-)

The peculiar thing is that Ubuntu and a number of "based ons" work fine
when installing Gnome and Enlightenment (eg Ultimate Edition Linux, gOS
Linux, OpenGEU Linux), however I really want to get back to KDE.

Could anyone give me some pointers on how to stop this happening and/or
refer me to some HOWTOs? I'd be really grateful to anyone who can help
me get rid of my frustration in getting so near yet so far...

Thanks in advance!

--
Graham Todd

Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Graham Todd said the following at 01/08/2009 08:30 AM :
> I've been using the Kubuntu 3.x builds without any problem for years,
> and tried the earliest versions of Kubuntu 4.0 without hitch, with my
> i386 machine.
>
> However, after getting an amd64 machine, I haven't been able to
> download and burn an amd64 .iso file for CD or DVD that works. I have
> two disk drives, both LG in make, one a DVD-rom reader only, the other
> a DVD reader/burner.
>
> When I download a version of Kubuntu 8.10 and then burn it - either to
> DVD or CD - it is read and brings up the familiar blue curly desktop
> and appears in every way fine. However, when I try to install it and
> then reboot, it stops with a black screen with an oblong which can just
> be defined in outline, but is coloured VERY dark grey - virtually
> black. The hard drive activity light goes out and even if I leave it
> for a hour or more, nothing further happens.

So it sounds like what you are saying is that the install goes OK, but then
when you try to boot, you can't see anything.

What happens if you go to the console? Can you log in that way?

And if you can log in, then I suggest you try the following:

1. go to ~/.kde/share/config
2. in kwinrc, set Enabled=false in the [Compositing] section.
3. Reboot

If you can't log in, what messages (if any) are on the console?

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Graham Todd

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 14:43:28 -0700
"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

> So it sounds like what you are saying is that the install goes OK,
> but then when you try to boot, you can't see anything.

Precisely

> What happens if you go to the console? Can you log in that way?

I haven't tried a console log in from the live disk, because I assumed
that would produce a console log in if I installed it that way.
However, I will try and let you know.

> And if you can log in, then I suggest you try the following:
>
> 1. go to ~/.kde/share/config
> 2. in kwinrc, set Enabled=false in the [Compositing] section.
> 3. Reboot

I'll try that IF I can log in :-) And then I'll let you know!

> If you can't log in, what messages (if any) are on the console?
>
> Doc

Thanks to Doc and all others on the list who offered advice. I'm sorry
not to have reported back earlier but I had to take a short holiday in
my local hospital.....

Nothing so far suggested works, but I haven't tried Doc's suggestion
yet and I'll report back when I have.
--
Graham Todd

Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Graham Todd said the following at 01/12/2009 01:31 PM :
> On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 14:43:28 -0700
> "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So it sounds like what you are saying is that the install goes OK,
>> but then when you try to boot, you can't see anything.
>
> Precisely
>
>> What happens if you go to the console? Can you log in that way?
>
> I haven't tried a console log in from the live disk, because I assumed
> that would produce a console log in if I installed it that way.
> However, I will try and let you know.

I don't understand what you mean when you talk about using the live disk to
log in. What I was trying to suggest is: when you try to boot (following
the install), when you get to the point where you expect to see the login
screen but can't, try logging in on the console at that point.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Graham Todd

Doc Evans asked me if I try a console log in if it would actually
change what happened.

When I tried the console log-in, first I was asked for my username,
which I gave, then my password. That did not allow me to stat the
graphical interface, so I first entered the command startx, which
showed only a message to the effect that the Xorg server could not
connect.

So next I tried startkde and got the same error message. So now I'm
languishing without KDE. Again, when I install Kubuntu.8.10 (the 64bit
version), I log in and the the screen goes white, followed by a black
screen then a very dark grey rectangle in the centre. At that point
the hard drive activity stopped.

My computer is a home made one (I couldn't tell you which motherboard
is installed, but it has an Antec case). It has an amd64 chip and a
Nvidia graphics card.

Could someone help me further to get Kubuntu 8.10 (Ibex) installed
properly? The .iso file seems to install but there is a problem with
showing the window manager, it seems. This problem does not exist with
the Gnome or Enlightenment desktops, which install easily and I can see
the desktops before installing the Nvidia drivers, so I assume I should
see the KDE 8.10 desktop gui, before installing the Nvidia driver(s).

--
Graham Todd

Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Graham Todd said the following at 01/14/2009 09:07 AM :
> Doc Evans asked me if I try a console log in if it would actually
> change what happened.
>
> When I tried the console log-in, first I was asked for my username,
> which I gave, then my password. That did not allow me to stat the
> graphical interface, so I first entered the command startx, which
> showed only a message to the effect that the Xorg server could not
> connect.

OK. Did you do what I suggested earlier in this thread?

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 01-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Graham Todd

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:16:52 -0700
"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK. Did you do what I suggested earlier in this thread?
>
> Doc
[snipped]

I've tried everything suggested without success, Doc, but as I've lost
all my mail that wasn't archived, could you let me know exactly what
you suggested earlier? Thanks :-)

--
Graham Todd

Old 01-16-2009, 02:28 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Here's what I suggested. No guarantees of course, but it's what I would
have tried were I in your position, given my experience with blank screen=
at log on with 8.10.

----

What happens if you go to the console? Can you log in that way?

And if you can log in, then I suggest you try the following:

1. go to ~/.kde/share/config
2. in kwinrc, set Enabled=3Dfalse in the [Compositing] section.
3. Reboot

If you can't log in, what messages (if any) are on the console?

----

Doc

--=20
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 01-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Joel Oliver

Also, in the console, check out the log file for your X session, it
sounds like a video card issue.

less /var/log/Xorg.0.log

With the newer versions of Ubuntu/Kubuntu, it really doesn't install
much of a xorg.conf file which makes it harder to change some options
and troubleshoot. BTW the proper way to start/stop your X sessions
after modifying your xorg.conf file (or any other tweak) is:

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop

and

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start

you can also use:

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart

You didn't mention what brand of video card you're using, but sometimes,
just removing (Better to rename, for testing) your xorg.conf file
magically fixes these problems.

So you can try:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old

and then restart X

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart

to see if that works. It does sound like a video card/compositing issue
though.

Since there's really no xorg.conf file, a barebones structure can help.
Please don't use this one, but it will give you an idea on the layout if
needed. This is for an NVidia card using the restricted drivers. If
similar to yours, you may need to change the BusID "PCI:0:5:0" to match
where your card is installed. This is automatically figured now, but to
find where your card is, use the lspci command. Mine shows up as:
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
*00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce
6150] (rev a2)*
00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a2)
00:0a.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1)
00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller
(rev a1)
00:0f.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller
(rev a1)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
(rev a2)
00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
Miscellaneous Control
01:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A
IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
01:09.0 PCI bridge: Hint Corp HB6 Universal PCI-PCI bridge
(non-transparent mode) (rev 11)
02:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)

Of course i'm just trying to give troubleshooting ideas. The best info
you can get is from your X log file! Also adding this section into your
xorg.conf file will shut off compositing:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "false"
EndSection

I don't have it added into mine as it works fine w/o it for me... Just
try some different settings. Again here's a sample xorg.conf file which
WILL NOT WORK for you, but may give you a 'skeleton' to work on one for
yourself. I wish they would give one by default as all this
"autoconfiguring" doesn't always work as expected. So try running
without a xorg.conf file. Then try moving it back and add the three
lines above to it and see if it helps. Of course check the
/var/log/Xorg.0.log file every step of the way for info... Also the
command:

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-*xorg

*
Will reconfigure the xserver and allow you to setup your
video/keyboard/mouse and write a new xorg.conf file.

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder26) Wed Sep 12
14:29:53 PDT 2007

# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"

# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
# InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
# InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
# InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "stylus"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "eraser"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
Option "Type" "eraser"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "cursor"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
Option "Type" "cursor"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "LCM-22w3"
HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "WDE LCM-22w3"
HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce 6150]"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:0:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 6150"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce 6150]"
Monitor "LCM-22w3"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1680x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x800"
"1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "metamodes" "1680x1050_60 +0+0; 1680x1050 +0+0;
1280x1024 +0+0; 1280x960 +0+0; 1280x800 +0+0; 1152x864 +0+0; 1024x768
+0+0; 800x600 +0+0; 640x480 +0+0"
EndSection

Old 01-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Joel Oliver

Joel Oliver wrote:
> dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-*xorg

There was some "*" added into this message that don't belong there The
command is

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Joel.