Old 01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Brian Norman Wootton

Default wi-fi printer

I have a HP Photosmart C7180 which has wi-fi, admittedly I originally
set it up to talk to windows -
which was a right pain. But my Kubuntu/intrepid/cups found it straight
away, so did Xsane and
also it used to fax OK. The only thing I found useful was to set the
router up with a
static IP for the printer, because DHCP kept issuing a nonsense
addresses which fouled up the
connectivity somewhat. In fact I've got all my home stuff on static
addresses and ditched DCHP
altogether
brian

Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 AM
David Fletcher

On Thursday 08 January 2009 12:18:24 Brian Norman Wootton wrote:
> I have a HP Photosmart C7180 which has wi-fi, admittedly I originally
> set it up to talk to windows -
> which was a right pain. But my Kubuntu/intrepid/cups found it straight
> away, so did Xsane and
> also it used to fax OK. The only thing I found useful was to set the
> router up with a
> static IP for the printer, because DHCP kept issuing a nonsense
> addresses which fouled up the
> connectivity somewhat. In fact I've got all my home stuff on static
> addresses and ditched DCHP
> altogether
> brian

But how do you get into the machine to do the initial configuration? I mean,
setting the WiFi network ID and password? I'm guessing that this has to be
done before it can be used. You say that you originally used it with windows.
What I am interested in knowing is "do we need a windoze machine to configure
it?" or can we take one out of the box, fresh from the factory and set it up
using just Kubuntu?

Dave

Old 01-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Brian Norman Wootton

But how do you get into the machine to do the initial configuration? I mean,
setting the WiFi network ID and password? I'm guessing that this has to be
done before it can be used. You say that you originally used it with windows.
What I am interested in knowing is "do we need a windoze machine to configure
it?" or can we take one out of the box, fresh from the factory and set it up
using just Kubuntu?

You have to know your router's SSID(Network name) and the router's WEP key if running your
router in secure mode.
After that you run the 'Wireless setup wizard' on the C7180(has its own screen and keyboard)
-just follow the destructions and you wind up with the printer connected to the router(shows
a little aerial icon on the printer, you can print off the complete network parameters before
attempting to connect to it.
Then you go to your computer and go hplip>device manager>device>set up new device, select
Network/ethernet/wireless..... and I leave the rest the question/answers to you.
There's a whole seies of photosmart printers in this range with/without fax and various othet +/-
if you log onto the HP site, there is a questionaire which you can give answers to and it coughs
up with which printer it thinks is best to match your requirements.
hope this gives you the main idea of a 'how-to'
brian

Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
David Fletcher

On Thursday 08 Jan 2009, Brian Norman Wootton wrote:

> You have to know your router's SSID(Network name) and the router's WEP key
if running your
> router in secure mode.
> After that you run the 'Wireless setup wizard' on the C7180(has its own
screen and keyboard)
> -just follow the destructions and you wind up with the printer connected to
the router(shows
> a little aerial icon on the printer, you can print off the complete network
parameters before
> attempting to connect to it.

So it's independent of any operating systems you're running. That's very, very
useful to know.

Thanks.

Dave

Old 01-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Paul Lemmons

I have a HP Photosmart C7180 which has wi-fi, admittedly I originally
set it up to talk to windows -
which was a right pain. But my Kubuntu/intrepid/cups found it straight
away, so did Xsane and
also it used to fax OK. The only thing I found useful was to set the
router up with a
static IP for the printer, because DHCP kept issuing a nonsense
addresses which fouled up the
connectivity somewhat. In fact I've got all my home stuff on static
addresses and ditched DCHP
altogether
brian

But how do you get into the machine to do the initial configuration?

it is done on the front panel of the printer in the system setup

--
Sometimes I wonder. Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
"Mike Shaw"

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Brian Norman Wootton
<Brian.Meg@btinternet.com> wrote:

> But how do you get into the machine to do the initial configuration? I mean,
> setting the WiFi network ID and password? I'm guessing that this has to be
> done before it can be used. You say that you originally used it with windows.
> What I am interested in knowing is "do we need a windoze machine to configure
> it?" or can we take one out of the box, fresh from the factory and set it up
> using just Kubuntu?
>

> You have to know your router's SSID(Network name) and the router's WEP key if running your
> router in secure mode.
> After that you run the 'Wireless setup wizard' on the C7180(has its own screen and keyboard)
> -just follow the destructions and you wind up with the printer connected to the router(shows
> a little aerial icon on the printer, you can print off the complete network parameters before
> attempting to connect to it.
> Then you go to your computer and go hplip>device manager>device>set up new device, select
> Network/ethernet/wireless..... and I leave the rest the question/answers to you.
> There's a whole seies of photosmart printers in this range with/without fax and various othet +/-
> if you log onto the HP site, there is a questionaire which you can give answers to and it coughs
> up with which printer it thinks is best to match your requirements.
> hope this gives you the main idea of a 'how-to'
> brian

I have an "HP Photosmart C4380 All-in-One Printer" which has a
wireless G interface besides USB. And the HPLIP software cannot
perform the initial configuration for wireless. SO UNLESS YOU HAVE A
WINDOZE BOX YOU CANNOT SETUP THIS PRINTER FOR WIRELESS! Luckily I was
able to setup a laptop on a spare harddrive with Windows XP and
perform the configuration but if I did not have that I would have been
out of luck. You may be able to do it with a Mac, but you can not
definitely set this thing up for wireless printing via Linux.

The funny thing is that the HPLIP software seems like it can do
EVERYTHING else that the Windoze version can BUT the wireless setup!

l8r,

Mike
--
Ed: This is worse than when he was just stupid! - from "Sitting Ducks"

Old 01-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Billie Walsh

Mike Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Brian Norman Wootton
> <Brian.Meg@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> But how do you get into the machine to do the initial configuration? I mean,
>> setting the WiFi network ID and password? I'm guessing that this has to be
>> done before it can be used. You say that you originally used it with windows.
>> What I am interested in knowing is "do we need a windoze machine to configure
>> it?" or can we take one out of the box, fresh from the factory and set it up
>> using just Kubuntu?
>>

>> You have to know your router's SSID(Network name) and the router's WEP key if running your
>> router in secure mode.
>> After that you run the 'Wireless setup wizard' on the C7180(has its own screen and keyboard)
>> -just follow the destructions and you wind up with the printer connected to the router(shows
>> a little aerial icon on the printer, you can print off the complete network parameters before
>> attempting to connect to it.
>> Then you go to your computer and go hplip>device manager>device>set up new device, select
>> Network/ethernet/wireless..... and I leave the rest the question/answers to you.
>> There's a whole seies of photosmart printers in this range with/without fax and various othet +/-
>> if you log onto the HP site, there is a questionaire which you can give answers to and it coughs
>> up with which printer it thinks is best to match your requirements.
>> hope this gives you the main idea of a 'how-to'
>> brian
>>

> I have an "HP Photosmart C4380 All-in-One Printer" which has a
> wireless G interface besides USB. And the HPLIP software cannot
> perform the initial configuration for wireless. SO UNLESS YOU HAVE A
> WINDOZE BOX YOU CANNOT SETUP THIS PRINTER FOR WIRELESS! Luckily I was
> able to setup a laptop on a spare harddrive with Windows XP and
> perform the configuration but if I did not have that I would have been
> out of luck. You may be able to do it with a Mac, but you can not
> definitely set this thing up for wireless printing via Linux.
>
> The funny thing is that the HPLIP software seems like it can do
> EVERYTHING else that the Windoze version can BUT the wireless setup!
>
> l8r,
>
> Mike
> --
> Ed: This is worse than when he was just stupid! - from "Sitting Ducks"

We have an HP 6380 wired [ cat 5 ] network all in one [ print, scan,
copy, fax ] printer. It sets up on the network using the screen/menu
system within the printer itself. The system its connected to is through
a switch and there are three routers. We can print to it from laptops
through the wireless routers without difficulty. To set it up on Kubunti
too less time than on Windows. I simply used the Cups interface. It
found the printer, set it up on my computers and printed the test page
within about three minutes. [ took me longer to find the address for the
Cups interface than to actually set it up *<]D ]

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Paul Lemmons

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Brian Norman Wootton
<Brian.Meg@btinternet.com> wrote:

But how do you get into the machine to do the initial configuration? I mean,
setting the WiFi network ID and password?

I have an "HP Photosmart C4380 All-in-One Printer" which has a
wireless G interface besides USB. And the HPLIP software cannot
perform the initial configuration for wireless. SO UNLESS YOU HAVE A
WINDOZE BOX YOU CANNOT SETUP THIS PRINTER FOR WIRELESS!

Simply not true.

The entire networking setup, including wireless can be setup on the
setup menu on the printer itself. This has been true on every one of the
printers I have setup. I always setup my Linux connectivity first to
test the printer because it is so much easier than the Windows setup.
Once I have it working with Linux I setup any Windows machines that need
access.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:49 PM
"Mike Shaw"

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Paul Lemmons <paul@lemmons.name> wrote:
> [...]

Okay - if that's true you won't giving me a menu walkthrough to do
this for the C4380?

--
Ed: This is worse than when he was just stupid! - from "Sitting Ducks"

Old 01-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Paul Lemmons

Mike Shaw wrote:

[...]

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01153703/c01153703.pdf

The above manual says:

"Manage your network settings

You can manage network settings for the HP All-in-One through the HP
All-in-One control

panel.

Change basic network settings from the control panel

The HP All-in-One control panel enables you to perform a variety of
network management

tasks. This includes printing the network settings, restoring the
network defaults, turning

the wireless radio on and off, and printing a wireless network test."

So, I stand corrected and do apologize. It appears that you can setup
everything but the WEP/WPA key on this printer from the control panel.
To do that you need either a MAC or Windows PC with a USB cable.

I have setup three different flavors (j6400 series,c7200 series, c6100
series) and they all permit adding a WEP/WPA key from the setup panel
on the printer. After three excellent experiences I jumped to the false
conclusion that HP was consistent in their design and I did it
publicly. I hate it when I do that.