Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 AM
Steven Vollom

Default How can I find if I have Read/Write permission in Wine-Windows Registry?

I enjoy a bible program called e-Sword. I have been using it pretty much
trouble free for quite some time.

Each time I close the package though, it reopens in a random place. I do not
have the random choice selected, so it should not do that.

I contacted e-Sword, and they said it should return to the place I left, if I
have read/write permission in the registry.

I use Wine to operate this Windows program. Does anyone know how to check the
registry to see if permissions are there for read/write? If so, and they are
not authorized, can you tell me how to create read/write permission?

I looked through the registry for Wine and e-Sword, found them in two places,
but under e-Sword there was no mention of read/write permissions.

Steven

Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 AM
David McGlone

On Thursday 08 January 2009 12:46:58 am Steven Vollom wrote:
> I enjoy a bible program called e-Sword. I have been using it pretty much
> trouble free for quite some time.
>
> Each time I close the package though, it reopens in a random place. I do
> not have the random choice selected, so it should not do that.
>
> I contacted e-Sword, and they said it should return to the place I left, if
> I have read/write permission in the registry.
>
> I use Wine to operate this Windows program. Does anyone know how to check
> the registry to see if permissions are there for read/write? If so, and
> they are not authorized, can you tell me how to create read/write
> permission?
>
> I looked through the registry for Wine and e-Sword, found them in two
> places, but under e-Sword there was no mention of read/write permissions.

Steven, have you looked into Bible Time for linux? I use it and it works
great. That way you don't have to fool around with wine.

--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 9:46:58 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> I enjoy a bible program called e-Sword. I have been using it pretty much
> trouble free for quite some time.
>
> Each time I close the package though, it reopens in a random place. I do
> not have the random choice selected, so it should not do that.
>
> I contacted e-Sword, and they said it should return to the place I left, if
> I have read/write permission in the registry.
>
> I use Wine to operate this Windows program. Does anyone know how to check
> the registry to see if permissions are there for read/write? If so, and
> they are not authorized, can you tell me how to create read/write
> permission?
>
> I looked through the registry for Wine and e-Sword, found them in two
> places, but under e-Sword there was no mention of read/write permissions.

Steven, no point in putting yourself through all that pain! BibleTime is
available in Ubuntu form!! Check your Synaptic Package Manager!! You may
have to add the repository for the current updates however, it is:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/txwikinger/ubuntu hardy main

added to your "third-party software" and the maintainer is quite easy to talk
to! Fixed a minor bug for me in less than two hours!!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 01-09-2009, 05:16 AM
"Timothy-Allen Albertson"

does anybody know of any smilar for the Book of Mormon?

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 5:30 AM, David McGlone <d.mcglone@att.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 January 2009 12:46:58 am Steven Vollom wrote:
>> I enjoy a bible program called e-Sword. I have been using it pretty much
>> trouble free for quite some time.
>>
>> Each time I close the package though, it reopens in a random place. I do
>> not have the random choice selected, so it should not do that.
>>
>> I contacted e-Sword, and they said it should return to the place I left, if
>> I have read/write permission in the registry.
>>
>> I use Wine to operate this Windows program. Does anyone know how to check
>> the registry to see if permissions are there for read/write? If so, and
>> they are not authorized, can you tell me how to create read/write
>> permission?
>>
>> I looked through the registry for Wine and e-Sword, found them in two
>> places, but under e-Sword there was no mention of read/write permissions.
>
> Steven, have you looked into Bible Time for linux? I use it and it works
> great. That way you don't have to fool around with wine.
>
> --
> David M.
> http://www.dmcentral.net

Registered Linux User #482284
Amateur Radio Station KG6IRH/0
12 ...In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our
peace, our wives, and our children... Book of Mormon--Alma 46:12

Old 01-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Steven Vollom

> Steven, have you looked into Bible Time for linux? I use it and it works
> great. That way you don't have to fool around with wine.
I have, David, and I really prefer e-Sword. I will even accept this problem,
if I have to. It would just be nice to return to the proper page. I have
memory problems in my old age, and I sometimes have difficulty remembering
where I left off. Thanks.

Steven

Old 01-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Steven Vollom

> Steven, no point in putting yourself through all that pain!

I tried BibleTime a while back. My favorite Bible version at this time in my
walk is the Good News Bible. I really want to use that version right now.
As I recall, it is not available in BibleTimes. Thanks.

Steven

Old 01-10-2009, 11:44 AM
David McGlone

On Friday 09 January 2009 3:27:59 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> > Steven, have you looked into Bible Time for linux? I use it and it works
> > great. That way you don't have to fool around with wine.
>
> I have, David, and I really prefer e-Sword. I will even accept this
> problem, if I have to. It would just be nice to return to the proper page.
> I have memory problems in my old age, and I sometimes have difficulty
> remembering where I left off. Thanks.

Ok, No problem.

Keep in mind though, Bible Time will save your position on exit.

--
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Pastor JW

On Saturday 10 January 2009 4:44:03 am David McGlone wrote:
> On Friday 09 January 2009 3:27:59 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> > > Steven, have you looked into Bible Time for linux? I use it and it
> > > works great. That way you don't have to fool around with wine.
> >
> > I have, David, and I really prefer e-Sword. I will even accept this
> > problem, if I have to. It would just be nice to return to the proper
> > page. I have memory problems in my old age, and I sometimes have
> > difficulty remembering where I left off. Thanks.
>
> Ok, No problem.
>
> Keep in mind though, Bible Time will save your position on exit.

Yes, it is a very nice interface! I use the parallel features a lot so I tend
to have three or four versions up at once on the screen. It uses the Bibles
from the Sword project so I have all but three of the English Bibles on my
computer. The three I don't have are the three written to promote a specific
religion. I find those to be quite misleading so I took them off of my
computer. (they have those red x icons on them in the bookshelf manager)