Old 01-08-2009, 03:45 AM
"amit naik"

Default not able to configure internet connection in kubuntu

Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 AM
"amit naik"

i have an adsl broadband connection.i am not able to connect to internet.
i read the documentation on the site abt creating a pppoe
configuration.i downloaded the pppoe pakage.now everything works fine
in the terminal, i can ping to my isp IP and it shows that i'm
connected.but when i load the webpages in konqueror or start K-torrent
it doesn't load anything
as if i'm not connected.
i also read abt editing the /etc/resolv.conf but i am not able to save
any changes that i make.
so i am not able to insert my DNS addresses there.
please reply me and help me

thanx in advance..!!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Karl Klinger

amit naik wrote:
> i also read abt editing the /etc/resolv.conf but i am not able to save
> any changes that i make.
> so i am not able to insert my DNS addresses there.

I don't know anything about adsl , but I can tell you that to make
changes to system files you need "super user" privilege. To use a text
mode editor like nano with super user privilege, use the sudo command in
a terminal, e.g.:

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

You will be asked for your user password.

To use a graphic mode editor like kate, use the kdesu command. Press
alt-F2 and type in the command

kdesu kate /etc/resolv.conf

Again you will be asked for your user password.

HTH, Karl

Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2009/1/8 amit naik <amitrnaik@gmail.com>:
> i have an adsl broadband connection.i am not able to connect to internet.
> i read the documentation on the site abt creating a pppoe
> configuration.i downloaded the pppoe pakage.now everything works fine
> in the terminal, i can ping to my isp IP and it shows that i'm
> connected.but when i load the webpages in konqueror or start K-torrent
> it doesn't load anything
> as if i'm not connected.
> i also read abt editing the /etc/resolv.conf but i am not able to save
> any changes that i make.
> so i am not able to insert my DNS addresses there.
> please reply me and help me
>
> thanx in advance..!!

You say you can ping your ISP but can you ping anything else out of
there net? Can you surf there sites? I assume you get your IP with
DHCP? What IP, DNS, Netmask and Gateway do you get in that case? And
are they right? /etc/resolv.conf is updated by DHCP if you using it so
it will be overwritten every time your IP is updated.

/ Jonas

Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Joel Oliver

You can save the connections if edited at root.

There's two ways to set up your DNS.

1. Set your nameservers up in your router and use the router as the
nameserver (Best, as this will work across the entire LAN)

2. Set up just your computer to just use 'specified' nameserver.

These instructions don't use and GUI so they work for Ubuntu or
Kubuntu. I've found Kubuntu's network manager broken anyway (Especially
with wireless...) So my advice is to use gnomes network manager with
nm-applet or better yet, use Wicd. This will conflict with network
manager so it will be removed when wicd is installed. Wicd is much
cleaner and handles wireless autoconnects as well as wired connections.
I love it and believe it should be the default for both Gnome and KDE,
but some disagree with me.... All I know is KDE's front end is severly
broken and buggy in intrepid and later. I'm getting off topic but check
out Wicd, you won't regret it!

Add this to your /etc/sources list to try Wicd:|

deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras|

Substitute hardy with intrepid or jaunty if you're running 8.10 or 9.04
respectivly.

Then a simple sudo apt-get install wicd will install it. You can setup
your DNS nameservers in Wicd's front end...

If you prefer to set up the nameservers in your router, open up the
router config page in a browser (ie. Firefox) It's usually 192.168.1.1
for most routers, or may be 192.168.0.1 for some models... See the
router config docs for more info.

To open it up, just type:

http://192.168.1.1

in the address bar. In the Setup page (Usually the first tab on the
config page, look for your DNS nameservers. There will be two or
possibly three places to type in your DNS ip addresses. If you don't
know your ISP's DNS ip addresses, you can use OpenDNS's. They are free
and work great and are very resistant to any DNS poisoning attacks. For
more info on OpenDNS see http://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/solutions

So on these tabs add:

208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

And save the config. If there's three places, just leave the third blank.

Now, open a terminal and edit your /etc/resolv.conf file:

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

and in the file it should look like:

nameserver 192.168.1.1

Press CTRL-X and save it.

Remember, if your router uses a different address than 192.168.1.1
change this in your resolv.conf to point at the router.

If you don't want to use the router as your LAN DNS server, add:

nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.200

to your /etc/resolv.conf file.

Hope this helps.

Joel.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Brian Norman Wootton

To open it up, just type:

http://192.168.1.1

If its BTHub router you've got its IP will be

http://192.168.1.254
and the home domain devices you set up would start
at 192.168.1.64.
Any 'box' on your home network that asks for a netmask

255.255.255.0 will cope

brian