Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Steven Vollom

Default Can't find package Ebox in my computer.

It was recommended that I install ebox in my computer to help with
configuration. I installed 92 packages of and relating to ebox, but none of
them show up on Kmenu. Additionally, when I click on Alt+F2 and type in
ebox, I get the following 'could not run specified command'. When I type
ebox into the Konsole, I get the following:
steven@Studio25:~$ ebox
bash: ebox: command not found
steven@Studio25:~$

How do I locate the program?

Steven

Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2009/1/7 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> It was recommended that I install ebox in my computer to help with
> configuration. I installed 92 packages of and relating to ebox, but none of
> them show up on Kmenu. Additionally, when I click on Alt+F2 and type in
> ebox, I get the following 'could not run specified command'. When I type
> ebox into the Konsole, I get the following:
> steven@Studio25:~$ ebox
> bash: ebox: command not found
> steven@Studio25:~$
>
> How do I locate the program?
>
> Steven

eBox is a web application that means that you have to run on a web
server and access it with a web browser. Check that you have apache
running then write this url in your browsers address field
https://localhost/eBox You have a userguide here
http://ebox-platform.com/usersguide/en/html/ebox-userguide-book.html

Good luck

/ Jonas

Old 01-08-2009, 04:29 AM
Steven Vollom

> eBox is a web application that means that you have to run on a web
> server and access it with a web browser. Check that you have apache
> running then write this url in your browsers address field
> https://localhost/eBox You have a userguide here
> http://ebox-platform.com/usersguide/en/html/ebox-userguide-book.html
Dear Jonas,

I didn't know I had installed apache, however, I checked and it is installed
on this computer. I looked for it in Kmenu and couldn't find it. I Alt+f2
and got 'could not run specific command'.

When I clicked on the link you provided 'https://localhost/ eBox, I got:
The server certificate failed the authenticity test (localhost). When I
clicked on Details I got: Certificate is self-signed and thus may not be
trustworthy. The Certificate has not been issued for this host.

Under peer certificate: It says Common name: eBox Server
Under Issuer: It says Common name: eBox Server

Under IP address: 127.0.0.1

I really don't understand what any of this means.

Steven

Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Steven Vollom wrote:
> It was recommended that I install ebox in my computer to help with
> configuration. I installed 92 packages of and relating to ebox, but none of
> them show up on Kmenu. Additionally, when I click on Alt+F2 and type in
> ebox, I get the following 'could not run specified command'. When I type
> ebox into the Konsole, I get the following:
> steven@Studio25:~$ ebox
> bash: ebox: command not found
> steven@Studio25:~$
>
> How do I locate the program?
Dear Steven,
Ebox is a server hosting configuration "package", are you setting up
your computer as a server? You find info about Ebox here:
http://ebox-platform.com/

I am running this system on a server elsewhere (that is not where I
normally work and reside) and for that one you normally first install
the Ubuntu server version and then Ebox OR you download an iso cd image
built for Ebox specifically.

I can think of no benefits running this system on a "normal" user GUI
system.

Best,
Sinclair

Old 01-08-2009, 09:08 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2009/1/8 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:

>> eBox is a web application that means that you have to run on a web
>> server and access it with a web browser. Check that you have apache
>> running then write this url in your browsers address field
>> https://localhost/eBox You have a userguide here
>> http://ebox-platform.com/usersguide/en/html/ebox-userguide-book.html
> Dear Jonas,
>
> I didn't know I had installed apache, however, I checked and it is installed
> on this computer. I looked for it in Kmenu and couldn't find it. I Alt+f2
> and got 'could not run specific command'.
>
> When I clicked on the link you provided 'https://localhost/ eBox, I got:
> The server certificate failed the authenticity test (localhost). When I
> clicked on Details I got: Certificate is self-signed and thus may not be
> trustworthy. The Certificate has not been issued for this host.
>
> Under peer certificate: It says Common name: eBox Server
> Under Issuer: It says Common name: eBox Server
>
> Under IP address: 127.0.0.1
>
> I really don't understand what any of this means.
>
> Steven

It's a warning from your browser that the security certificate used on
this site is not valid and you should not trust it. You can download
it and "trust" it anyway, there should be a button or something you
can click on in that message/dialog.

As Sinclair sad, i don't think that installing eBox (Never used it
myself but it looks like webmin) is anything you need on a normal
workstation. The thinks you probably most need to configure is the
things you in have System Settings and for them you don't need eBox.

Installing services you don't need or know how to configure is also a
security risk so my suggestion is to uninstall eBox and apache as you
most likely don't need them.

/ Jonas

Old 01-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Steven Vollom

> http://ebox-platform.com/usersguide/en/html/ebox-userguide-book.html
There are too many things I don't understand to use the guide, but thanks. I
will have to work a little more first.
Steven

Old 01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Steven Vollom

Thanks Sinclair. This installation was a recommendation from the list. I
think they misunderstood my need. You are the second to suggest removal. I
am going to remove it. Thanks.

Steven