-   -   FW: Kubuntu re-install without loss of data (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/223185-fw-kubuntu-re-install-without-loss-data.html)

Ray Burke 01-06-2009 03:49 AM

FW: Kubuntu re-install without loss of data

From: rayburke30@hotmail.com
To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com; kubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com; kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:41:54 +1100

Anyone out there know how to re-install Kubuntu without losing any data
as been advised by japan solution centre(brother printers) that to resolve
my problem with the printer dcp130c to work again on Kubuntu ,after initially
working, but cant seem to re-install drivers, I need to re-install Kubuntu??????????

ray

Download free emoticons today! Holiday cheer from Messenger.
Download free Holiday emoticons today! Messenger's gift to you!

Eberhard Roloff 01-06-2009 09:45 AM

Ray Burke wrote:

> From: rayburke30@hotmail.com
> To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com;
> kubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com; kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:41:54 +1100
>
> Anyone out there know how to re-install Kubuntu without losing any data
> as been advised by japan solution centre(brother printers) that to resolve
> my problem with the printer dcp130c to work again on Kubuntu ,after
> initially
> working, but cant seem to re-install drivers, I need to re-install
> Kubuntu??????????
>
> ray

Hi Ray,
imho this is complete nonsense, what brother told you.

You do not need to reinstall Linux for any porpose and surely not for a
printer driver.

This "reinstall cures it all" habit comes from the darkest days of windows.

Which driver did you install for your brother 130 and which one do you
want to install now?

When you try to install your driver, what happens?

Kind regards
Eberhard

"Dotan Cohen" 01-06-2009 09:51 AM

2009/1/6 Ray Burke <rayburke30@hotmail.com>:
> Anyone out there know how to re-install Kubuntu without losing any data
> as been advised by japan solution centre(brother printers) that to resolve
> my problem with the printer dcp130c to work again on Kubuntu ,after
> initially
> working, but cant seem to re-install drivers, I need to re-install
> Kubuntu??????????

1) Backup /home
2) You do not need to reinstall Kubuntu. The idiots on the phone told
you that because there is a very popular operating system in use where
all problem-solving is reduced to "reinstall". That OS is _not_
Debian-based :)

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Martin Laberge 01-07-2009 12:51 AM

FW: Kubuntu re-install without loss of data

> Anyone out there know how to re-install Kubuntu without losing any data
> as been advised by japan solution centre(brother printers) that to resolve
> my problem with the printer dcp130c to work again on Kubuntu ,after initially
> working, but cant seem to re-install drivers, I need to re-install Kubuntu??????????
>
> ray

Just backup your home directory, to keep your user information,
this way.

tar cvzf /tmp/myuser.tgz /home/myuser/

cp /tmp/myuser.tgz /myusbkey/myuser.tgz

You should correct these 2 commands to your likings.

THEN after this, you can reinstall.

And after reboot on the fresh install,
you just log-in, and restore the saved user

cd / ; tar xvzf /myusbkey/myuser.tgz

You now have the restored user data you had,
but you loosed all the system-config that were there.

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft@videotron.ca

Martin Laberge 01-07-2009 01:03 AM

On Monday 05 January 2009 23:49:29 Ray Burke wrote:
> Anyone out there know how to re-install Kubuntu without losing any data
> as been advised by japan solution centre(brother printers) that to resolve
> my problem with the printer dcp130c to work again on Kubuntu ,after initially
> working, but cant seem to re-install drivers, I need to re-install Kubuntu??????????
>
> ray

in fact you can't.

you can achieve almost all system state than before,
but you will forget to set a system-variable or two.

a complete reinstall of the current state of the system
is a very complex thing.

much more complex than just a format/install thing

a total reinstall to the same state, includes a total
review of all softwares installed, and their configuration
(both at the user level and the system level)
and CAN BE ACHIEVED with a high level knowledge of
all these softwares running. (http/ftp/ssh/nfs/.../firewalls/.../)

No script exist at this date, as I know it, who could do this.

I am currently working at a system script, who would snapshot a
working system, with configurations, and reimplement it totally,
after a fresh reinstall.

But the situations of a perfectly working system in Linux, are
so diverses, and so differents, that it will allways stand
on a comprehensive study and understanding of a system to be
able to replicate it.

(i.e.: you will have to use your brain, and work hard.)

We can simplify it with scripts, but you have to understand what you do.