Old 01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Gene Heskett

Default How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

On Monday 05 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>> /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ext3 owner,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
>>
>> The difference is in the second option, I changed it from "/media" to
>> "/media/sda1".
>
>I think I screwed up. I opened the GUI to look at the partitions in
>Disk&Filesystems. I expected to find sda1 with a mount point of
>/media/sda1. It showed as /media/sdb1 instead of /media/sda1. I then
>opened the Konsole and entered sudo kedit /media/sdb2 to try to get to
>that error. This is what came on the Konsole:
>
>steven@Studio25:~$ sudo kedit /media/sdb1
>[sudo] password for steven:
>Error: "/tmp/kde-steven" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
>
>kedit opened to a blank page and in the title bar it reads /media/sdb1 -
>KEdit <2>, like I have two KEdit windows open.

Oops, close that without saving.

>I want to go back and edit the mount point as /media/sda1.

A 'mount point' is nothing more nor less than a directory. If there is
nothing in it, it can be removed with an 'rmdir', see the manpage.

If there is something in that directory, probably because something was stored
there when no media was mounted, then if its precious, mv (see the manpage)
it to someplace safe.

Now, please understand that if I had a /media/westernsteer directory, I can
mount any partition visible to the system on that mount point with the mount
command.

Demo (all as root or sudo'd, and the # sign is the shell prompt, no pound sign
its the response to the command:

# mkdir /media/westernsteer
# df
(and get
/dev/sdb3 468832020 97119656 347512852 22% /
/dev/sdb1 194442 81057 103346 44% /boot
/dev/sdc1 384578164 298590648 66452076 82% /amandatapes
tmpfs 2075600 0 2075600 0% /dev/shm

The above to verify where my /boot is (this box is an odd bird), then

# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /media/westernsteer
# ls /media/westernsteer
config-2.6.25.14-69.fc8 initrd-2.6.25.14-69.fc8.img memdisk
System.map-2.6.27-rc4 vmlinuz-2.6.26.5-28.fc8
config-2.6.26.3-14.fc8 initrd-2.6.26.3-14.fc8.img System.map
System.map-2.6.27-rc5 vmlinuz-2.6.26.6-49.fc8
config-2.6.26.5-28.fc8 initrd-2.6.26.5-28.fc8.img
System.map-2.6.25.14-69.fc8 System.map-2.6.27-rc6 vmlinuz-2.6.27.2
config-2.6.26.6-49.fc8 initrd-2.6.26.6-49.fc8.img System.map-2.6.26
System.map-2.6.27-rc7 vmlinuz-2.6.27.3
config-2.6.26.gz initrd-2.6.26.img
System.map-2.6.26.3-14.fc8 System.map-2.6.27-rc7-4 vmlinuz-2.6.27-4
config-2.6.27.2.gz initrd-2.6.27.2.img
System.map-2.6.26.5-28.fc8 System.map-2.6.27-rc8 vmlinuz-2.6.27.4
config-2.6.27.3.gz initrd-2.6.27.3.img
System.map-2.6.26.6-49.fc8 System.map-2.6.27-rc8-4 vmlinuz-2.6.27.5
config-2.6.27-4.gz initrd-2.6.27-4.img System.map-2.6.27.2
System.map-2.6.27-rc9-4 vmlinuz-2.6.27.6
config-2.6.27.4.gz initrd-2.6.27.4.img System.map-2.6.27.3
System.map-2.6.28 vmlinuz-2.6.28
config-2.6.27.5.gz initrd-2.6.27.5.img System.map-2.6.27-4
System.map-2.6.28.old
config-2.6.27.6.gz initrd-2.6.27.6.img System.map-2.6.27.4
vmlinuz-2.6.25.14-69.fc8
config-2.6.28.gz initrd-2.6.28.img System.map-2.6.27.5
vmlinuz-2.6.26
grub lost+found System.map-2.6.27.6
vmlinuz-2.6.26.3-14.fc8

It is in fact, my /boot partition, mounted someplace else. Now, clean up the
mess I just made:

# umount /media/westernsteer
# rmdir /media/westernsteer
# ls /media/westernsteer
ls: cannot access /media/westernsteer: No such file or directory

Does this help your understanding of how this works?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Steven Vollom

> Kate should be fine Steven, although I don't like it personally, but its
> (fstab) owned by root, so you'll need to use 'sudo kate /etc/fstab' to edit
> it.
Actually I am using kedit.

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Steven Vollom

> >kedit opened to a blank page and in the title bar it reads /media/sdb1 -
> >KEdit <2>, like I have two KEdit windows open.
>
> Oops, close that without saving.
This is a while ago, and I cannot remember what I did, but if I were to guess,
I probably saved before I closed. Is there a way to check that?
> Now, please understand that if I had a /media/westernsteer directory, I can
> mount any partition visible to the system on that mount point with the
> mount command.
I don't understand what this paragraph means.
> Does this help your understanding of how this works?
Actually, some of it I recognize, but the acronyms are not understood yet; it
is kind of like looking at a bunch of puzzle pieces right now. I have not
gotten that far yet in my understanding. But thanks. I will look into it.

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 05 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>> >kedit opened to a blank page and in the title bar it reads /media/sdb1 -
>> >KEdit <2>, like I have two KEdit windows open.
>>
>> Oops, close that without saving.
>
>This is a while ago, and I cannot remember what I did, but if I were to
> guess, I probably saved before I closed. Is there a way to check that?
>
>> Now, please understand that if I had a /media/westernsteer directory, I
>> can mount any partition visible to the system on that mount point with the
>> mount command.
>
>I don't understand what this paragraph means.
>
>> Does this help your understanding of how this works?
>
>Actually, some of it I recognize, but the acronyms are not understood yet;
> it is kind of like looking at a bunch of puzzle pieces right now. I have
> not gotten that far yet in my understanding. But thanks. I will look into
> it.
>
>Steven

I don't think I used any acronyms, what looks like one
(mkdir,mount,umount,rmdir,ls) is probably the name of the utility I ran.
The 'westernsteer' was simply a throwaway name for purposes of the demo. In
the mount command, I used the -t option to specify the type of filesystem to
mount as linux has about a dozen variations, with 'ext3' which is ext2 with
journaling as the default used by 95+% of the users.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Steven Vollom

On Monday 05 January 2009 18:36:24 Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> Oops, close that without saving.
If I saved that edit, could that have caused a problem? It seems like I
remember when opening KEdit there would be a page of data to read.

> >> Now, please understand that if I had a /media/westernsteer directory, I
> >> can mount any partition visible to the system on that mount point with
> >> the mount command.
I am confused here.

> I don't think I used any acronyms, what looks like one
> (mkdir,mount,umount,rmdir,ls) is probably the name of the utility I ran.
I guess I see sda1 or sdb2 or Floppy0 as a kind of acronym, because I don't
know what the letters mean yet. It seemed that the page was filled with
letters and numbers like that that you would have to know what they mean to
understand how to understand the page.
> The 'westernsteer' was simply a throwaway name for purposes of the demo.
westernsteer is kind of like Konqueror, conqueror, a name that doesn't mean
what it says, however is descriptive.
> In the mount command, I used the -t option to specify the type of
> filesystem to mount as linux has about a dozen variations, with 'ext3'
> which is ext2 with journaling as the default used by 95+% of the users.
Whenever possible I have used ext3; I thought it best.

Thanks Gene,
Steven

Old 01-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Steven Vollom

On Monday 05 January 2009 12:31:56 Gene Heskett wrote:
> [...]
> vmlinuz-2.6.25.14-69.fc8
> config-2.6.28.gz initrd-2.6.28.img System.map-2.6.27.5
> vmlinuz-2.6.26
> grub lost+found System.map-2.6.27.6
> vmlinuz-2.6.26.3-14.fc8
>
> It is in fact, my /boot partition, mounted someplace else. Now, clean up
> the mess I just made:
>
> # umount /media/westernsteer
> # rmdir /media/westernsteer
> # ls /media/westernsteer
> ls: cannot access /media/westernsteer: No such file or directory
>
> Does this help your understanding of how this works?
>
> >Steven
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> QOTD:
> "I don't think they could put him in a mental hospital. On the
> other hand, if he were already in, I don't think they'd let him out."

Thanks for trying Gene, but I am going to have to mature a bit in linux. I
just get confused when I look at a page like this. Sorry to be so slow.

Steven

Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 AM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 05 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:

>If I saved that edit, could that have caused a problem? It seems like I
>remember when opening KEdit there would be a page of data to read.

>I am confused here.
>
>> I don't think I used any acronyms, what looks like one
>> (mkdir,mount,umount,rmdir,ls) is probably the name of the utility I ran.
>
>I guess I see sda1 or sdb2 or Floppy0 as a kind of acronym, because I don't
>know what the letters mean yet.

Background: Here a year or so back, the kernel folks decided to simplify
hardware access by treating all storage media as a scsi device, scsi standing
for Small Computer Systems Interface.

This interface spec is quite well worked out, and assumes that the drive is
quite intelligent. You tell the drives to copy file 'a' on the first drive
to filename 'd' on the 2nd drive, and the main cpu is free to go do something
else, the drives will do the copy, and sending an interrupt back to the cpu
telling the cpu the results of the copy operation when they are finished.

Other drives aren't quite that smart, so while the interface command structure
passed to the 'scsi' driver meets the scsi specs, the driver then diddles
things around and fills in the function gaps that an IDE drive isn't smart
enough to do, making it look as if it was that smart. The time used is about
the same because its the cable bandwidth to the drives that is the major
speed limit, that, and the rotational latency while the drives platters turn
to where the file is, and the heads are skewed sideways to the correct track
on the disk.

Anyway...

The kernel knows these drives by the following framework:
/dev/sda = first disk found at boot and registered
/dev/sdb = 2nd such disk found and registered
/dev/sdc through sdf = the rest of the drives

Now, in order to know which 'partition' on the drive, this is further defined
as:
/dev/sda1 = first partition on the first drive
/dev/sda2 = 2nd partition on the first drive
/dev/sda3 = 3rd, etc etc to sdaf IIRC.

Repeat this for /dev/sdb1-f, sdc1-f sdd1-f etc etc.

Now, since us humans are sorta dumb, we need to know these by some handy
nemonic or an actual real label, so that we know where the /boot partition
is, we create first a / directory, and then mount that label or partition to
the / label, effectively setting up an alias that we dummies can remember.

Then we make another directory named /boot,, which you can see is made on
the / label, and we mount (usually the 1st partition of the first disk,
or /dev/sda1, to this /boot directory, linking those 2 together.This
continues until all the stuff you need, (/home, /usr, /var, /etc, /opt) the
operating system needs, has been made available to the operating system.

>It seemed that the page was filled with
>letters and numbers like that that you would have to know what they mean to
>understand how to understand the page.

Chicken, meet egg. Or is it vice-versa? :-) To a newbie, the expression
Arther Clark (or was it Isaac Asimov, I forget now) wrote 70 or so years
ago, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
seems to apply, but it really is just shuffling a few bits around if you were
standing there playing sidewalk superintendent.

>> The 'westernsteer' was simply a throwaway name for purposes of the demo.
>
>westernsteer is kind of like Konqueror, conqueror, a name that doesn't mean
>what it says, however is descriptive.

Actually, there used to be a buffet/steakhouse chain by that name, now just
simplified to the 'Steer' around these parts. Food is quite decent early in
the evening but gets stale later. Lesson: Eat early.

>> In the mount command, I used the -t option to specify the type of
>> filesystem to mount as linux has about a dozen variations, with 'ext3'
>> which is ext2 with journaling as the default used by 95+% of the users.
>
>Whenever possible I have used ext3; I thought it best.

There can be reasons to use a different one, but to me they had better be very
good ones. Each has its polished spots, and each has its rust spots. ext3
has been 'good enough for the girls I go with' for quite a spell now. I can
remember faintly, over a decade back up the log, when ext2 needed help, but
then so did all the others back then too.

>Thanks Gene,
>Steven

Well, if I'm pouring more fuel on your fire of miss-understanding, I
apologize, I never was great shakes at telling the average person how
television works, but I make sure it does, tv engineering has been my game
for over 45 years now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 AM
Steven Vollom

> Well, if I'm pouring more fuel on your fire of miss-understanding, I
> apologize, I never was great shakes at telling the average person how
> television works, but I make sure it does, tv engineering has been my game
> for over 45 years now.
Thanks Gene. I will need to meditate on what I have read, but mostly, I am
starting to understand. You are kind to take the time to explain it more
thoroughly. Things seem like they are getting a little easier. Maybe I can
adapt to intelligence.

Cordially,
Steven