Old 01-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Steven Vollom

Default I need help installing a .deb package.

I tried this in the console (what I want to do is install webmin):

steven@Studio25:~$ sudo install
file:///home/steven/Desktop/usermin_1.370_all.deb
install: missing destination file operand after
`file:///home/steven/Desktop/usermin_1.370_all.deb'
Try `install --help' for more information.
steven@Studio25:~$

I have used Adept Package Manager and Synaptic to install packages. I have
used apt-get install. But when I downloaded this package and put it on the
Desktop, I was unable to install it. What do I do? Thanks.

I also tried the help option, but was unable to understand how to use what I
read.

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
"Tycho Andersen"

Steven:

I think what you may be looking for is something like this:

sudo dpkg -i /home/steven/Desktop/usermin_1.370_all.deb

dpkg is the tool behind Aptitude, apt-get, Adept, Synaptec, etc. The -i option tells dpkg to install the package.

Tycho

Old 01-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 02:10:44 am Steven Vollom wrote:

> steven@Studio25:~$ sudo install *

> file:///home/steven/Desktop/usermin_1.370_all.deb

.deb files aren't installed using install

They're debian package files installed using the package manager (dpkg).

try:

sudo dpkg -i /home/steven/Desktop/usermin_1.370_all.deb

Cheers,

--

Lindsay Mathieson

http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home

Old 01-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Tycho Andersen wrote:
> Steven:
>
> I think what you may be looking for is something like this:
>
> sudo dpkg -i /home/steven/Desktop/usermin_1.370_all.deb

absolutely correct: OTH I am assuming that Steven most probably wants to
be prepared for potentially installing "nearly anything that Linux can
do". For this, usermin is NOT the tool of choice.

For this you need to download and install WEBMIN.

so
sudo dpkg -i /home/steven/Desktop/webmin_1.441_all.deb

is, what will most probably do the trick.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 01-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Steven Vollom

On Monday 05 January 2009 14:03:03 Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> sudo dpkg -i /home/steven/Desktop/webmin_1.441_all.deb

When I downloaded the other package, they suggested it was webmin in their
explanation of the download and that it included usermin. Does that seem
possible? When I typed in what you said, it couldn't find the package,
because I did not download the package with webmin in the description. What
do I do now? I did not see the webmin option on the download site.

I will go back and try again.

Thanks,
Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Steven Vollom

kedit would not open this time. A box opened that says on the title bar:
Kedit - KDialog, then the following information: Will not save
configuration. Configuration file "/home/steven/.kde/share/config/keditrc"
not writable. Please contact your system administrator.

I remember mentioning in a post that I had a kedit open as KEdit <2>. I am
pretty sure I saved and closed that. Later I got an instruction to not save
and close it, but it was too late. Is that the reason KEdit doesn't perform.
If so, is there something I can do?

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Steven Vollom

> I think what you may be looking for is something like this:
>
> sudo dpkg -i /home/steven/Desktop/usermin_1.370_all.deb
>
> dpkg is the tool behind Aptitude, apt-get, Adept, Synaptec, etc. The -i
> option tells dpkg to install the package.
Someone gave me input on this issue and said I should be installing using
webmin instead of usermin. I may be wrong but when I went to download
webmin, they suggested I install the above usermin package. What should I
do?

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Steven Vollom

On Monday 05 January 2009 11:27:02 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 02:10:44 am Steven Vollom wrote:
> > steven@Studio25:~$ sudo install *
> > file:///home/steven/Desktop/usermin_1.370_all.deb
>
> .deb files aren't installed using install
>
> They're debian package files installed using the package manager (dpkg).
>
> try:
> sudo dpkg -i /home/steven/Desktop/usermin_1.370_all.deb
>

> Cheers,

Thanks Lindsay

Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Steven Vollom

> sudo dpkg -i /home/steven/Desktop/webmin_1.441_all.deb
Don't I have to download that application first? When I enter that into
Konsole, I get the following:
steven@Studio25:~$ sudo dpkg -i /home/steven/Desktop/webmin_1.441_all.deb
[sudo] password for steven:
dpkg: error processing /home/steven/Desktop/webmin_1.441_all.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory

Old 01-06-2009, 01:59 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Steven Vollom wrote:
> kedit would not open this time. A box opened that says on the title bar:
> Kedit - KDialog, then the following information: Will not save
> configuration. Configuration file "/home/steven/.kde/share/config/keditrc"
> not writable. Please contact your system administrator.

That's weird... Try:

sudo chown steven:steven /home/steven/.kde/share/config/keditrc
chmod ug+rw /home/steven/.kde/share/config/keditrc

Matt Flaschen