-   -   How do I mend Openoffice? (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/22274-how-do-i-mend-openoffice.html)

Seakat 12-24-2007 09:03 AM

How do I mend Openoffice?

I upgraded recently from Kubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) to 7.10 (Gutsy), and this
also upgraded OpenOffice2.0.2 (I think) to 2.3.1. Now Ooo is badly
broken. Using KDE, Write displays only part of the text (but it is still
there), and the icons on the toolbars have disappeared. In Calc, the
line heights have become tiny, and when teased apart, the text remains
invisible (but it is still there in the entry window on the toolbar).
(Running in Gnome the problem is similar except that the tool bar icons
are still there). Strange horizontal red lines appear in both Write and
Calc. Impress shows the images, but only occasional bits of text. Even
worse, when Ooo is loaded my computer slows right down and heats up. Is
there a way out, please? However I have installed Ooo 2.3.1 on XP _SP2
running in VirtualBox on Kubuntu, and there is no apparent problem there.
Otherwise, I've been a Kubuntu user for about 6 months, and it's just great!

Seakat 12-27-2007 12:43 PM

How do I mend Openoffice?

> I upgraded recently from Kubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) to 7.10 (Gutsy), and this
> also upgraded OpenOffice2.0.2 (I think) to 2.3.1. Now Ooo is badly
> broken. Using KDE, Write displays only part of the text (but it is still
> there), and the icons on the toolbars have disappeared. In Calc, the
> line heights have become tiny, and when teased apart, the text remains
> invisible (but it is still there in the entry window on the toolbar).
> (Running in Gnome the problem is similar except that the tool bar icons
> are still there). Strange horizontal red lines appear in both Write and
> Calc. Impress shows the images, but only occasional bits of text. Even
> worse, when Ooo is loaded my computer slows right down and heats up. Is
> there a way out, please? However I have installed Ooo 2.3.1 on XP _SP2
> running in VirtualBox on Kubuntu, and there is no apparent problem there.
> Otherwise, I've been a Kubuntu user for about 6 months, and it's just great!

Further to my above posting, I got the icons back in Ooo by tinkering
with permissions. All the other problems seemed still there, however,
and running "sudo soffice" or "sudo ooffice" didn't help.
Then after reading the recent thread on kdesudo, I tried "kdesudo
soffice" and "kdesudo ooffice". Now just about everything seems to work
(no sound in Impress, yet, but that's minor). WOW!

Four questions/comments:
1. THANK YOU kdesudo!
2. Shouldn't Ooo work anyway without having to do all this, and can't it
be made easier, especially for newbies?
3. Anyone got ideas about the nitty gritty of why my OOo's screwed up
without kdesu?

Donn 12-27-2007 01:01 PM

How do I mend Openoffice?

> 1. THANK YOU kdesudo!
I'll give that a whirl too. My OOO is missing text labels and controls on some
dialogues. PDF export was one I recall.

Alexander Smirnov 12-27-2007 02:55 PM

How do I mend Openoffice?

Seakat wrote:

>> How do I mend OpenOffice?
>> From:
>> Seakat <seakat@orange.fr>
>> Date:
>> Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:03:23 +0100
>>
>> To:
>> Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
>>

>> I upgraded recently from Kubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) to 7.10 (Gutsy), and this
>> also upgraded OpenOffice2.0.2 (I think) to 2.3.1. Now Ooo is badly
>> broken. Using KDE, Write displays only part of the text (but it is still
>> there), and the icons on the toolbars have disappeared. In Calc, the
>> line heights have become tiny, and when teased apart, the text remains
>> invisible (but it is still there in the entry window on the toolbar).
>> (Running in Gnome the problem is similar except that the tool bar icons
>> are still there). Strange horizontal red lines appear in both Write and
>> Calc. Impress shows the images, but only occasional bits of text. Even
>> worse, when Ooo is loaded my computer slows right down and heats up. Is
>> there a way out, please? However I have installed Ooo 2.3.1 on XP _SP2
>> running in VirtualBox on Kubuntu, and there is no apparent problem there.
>> Otherwise, I've been a Kubuntu user for about 6 months, and it's just great!
>>

> Further to my above posting, I got the icons back in Ooo by tinkering
> with permissions. All the other problems seemed still there, however,
> and running "sudo soffice" or "sudo ooffice" didn't help.
> Then after reading the recent thread on kdesudo, I tried "kdesudo
> soffice" and "kdesudo ooffice". Now just about everything seems to work
> (no sound in Impress, yet, but that's minor). WOW!
>
> Four questions/comments:
> 1. THANK YOU kdesudo!
> 2. Shouldn't Ooo work anyway without having to do all this, and can't it
> be made easier, especially for newbies?
> 3. Anyone got ideas about the nitty gritty of why my OOo's screwed up
> without kdesu?
I do not know exact reason of such behavior, but what java machine do
you use for OO?

Seakat 12-28-2007 12:27 PM

How do I mend Openoffice?

> Re: How do I mend Openoffice?
> From:
> Alexander Smirnov <alexander.v.smirnov@gmail.com>
> Date:
> Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:55:47 +0300
>
> To:
> Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
>

> Seakat wrote:
>>
>>> How do I mend OpenOffice?
>>> From:
>>> Seakat <seakat@orange.fr>
>>> Date:
>>> Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:03:23 +0100
>>>
>>> To:
>>> Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
>>>

>>> I upgraded recently from Kubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) to 7.10 (Gutsy), and
>>> this
>>> also upgraded OpenOffice2.0.2 (I think) to 2.3.1. Now Ooo is badly
>>> broken. Using KDE, Write displays only part of the text (but it is
>>> still
>>> there), and the icons on the toolbars have disappeared. In Calc, the
>>> line heights have become tiny, and when teased apart, the text remains
>>> invisible (but it is still there in the entry window on the toolbar).
>>> (Running in Gnome the problem is similar except that the tool bar icons
>>> are still there). Strange horizontal red lines appear in both Write and
>>> Calc. Impress shows the images, but only occasional bits of text. Even
>>> worse, when Ooo is loaded my computer slows right down and heats up. Is
>>> there a way out, please? However I have installed Ooo 2.3.1 on XP _SP2
>>> running in VirtualBox on Kubuntu, and there is no apparent problem
>>> there.
>>> Otherwise, I've been a Kubuntu user for about 6 months, and it's
>>> just great!
>>>

>> Further to my above posting, I got the icons back in Ooo by tinkering
>> with permissions. All the other problems seemed still there, however,
>> and running "sudo soffice" or "sudo ooffice" didn't help.
>> Then after reading the recent thread on kdesudo, I tried "kdesudo
>> soffice" and "kdesudo ooffice". Now just about everything seems to work
>> (no sound in Impress, yet, but that's minor). WOW!
>>
>> Four questions/comments:
>> 1. THANK YOU kdesudo!
>> 2. Shouldn't Ooo work anyway without having to do all this, and can't it
>> be made easier, especially for newbies?
>> 3. Anyone got ideas about the nitty gritty of why my OOo's screwed up
>> without kdesu?
> I do not know exact reason of such behavior, but what java machine do
> you use for OO?

Under Java options, I was given the choice:
1. Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_03
/usr/lib/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre Parameters: [blank] Class path: [blank]
2. Blackdown Java-Linux Team 1.4.2-02 /usr/lib/j2se/1.4/jre
Parameters: [blank] Class path: [blank]

Initially #2 was selected, so I changed the choice to #1, but it seemed
to make no difference.

"D. Michael McIntyre" 12-28-2007 03:37 PM

How do I mend Openoffice?

On Thursday 27 December 2007, Seakat wrote:
> 1. THANK YOU kdesudo!
> 2. Shouldn't Ooo work anyway without having to do all this, and can't it
> be made easier, especially for newbies?
> 3. Anyone got ideas about the nitty gritty of why my OOo's screwed up
> without kdesu?

I've been watching your plight for a few days. I did the same Feisty -> Gutsy
upgrade you did, and I've been watching my OO.o for weird behavior. Nothing
seems to be wrong with it after the upgrade at all, and what you're
experiencing strikes me as very bizarre and puzzling.

Anyway, if you want to try to find why you need root to run OO.o, I suggest
you try using strace on it. Perhaps you will see where it tries to open
files, and permission is denied, and that will be a clue what permissions to
change. (If you don't have strace, I think the package is of the same name.)

Digging around, looks like this command should work:

strace -f -eopen /usr/lib/openoffice/program/swriter

You'll get a lot of things that show "No such file or directory." That's
apparently normal and natural.

What you're looking for is something like this:

[pid 19179] open("/etc/qt3/.kstylerc.lock", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_LARGEFILE, 0600)
= -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
[pid 19179] open("/etc/qt3/.qtrc.lock", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = -1
EACCES (Permission denied)

In fact, you could probably modify the above command like thus:

strace -f -eopen /usr/lib/openoffice/program/swriter 2>&1 | grep denied

That seemed to work. Here's my list on a working version:

[pid 19287] open("/etc/qt3/.qtrc.lock", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = -1
EACCES (Permission denied)
[pid 19287] open("/etc/qt3/.qt_plugins_3.3rc.lock", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|
O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
[pid 19287] open("/etc/qt3/.kstylerc.lock", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_LARGEFILE, 0600)
= -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
[pid 19287] open("/etc/qt3/.qtrc.lock", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = -1
EACCES (Permission denied)
[pid 19287] open("/etc/qt3/.kstylerc.lock", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_LARGEFILE, 0600)
= -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
[pid 19287] open("/etc/qt3/.qtrc.lock", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_LARGEFILE, 0600) = -1
EACCES (Permission denied)

See if you have a longer list than that, and anything in your list that isn't
in mine is a clue.

It could also be that this .*rc.lock business is the clue you need already,
though if it is, I'm not sure what it means, or even why there are lock files
in /etc for this stuff anyway.

One thought that does come to mind is that my home directory dates all the way
back to Mandrake 8.1, so I might have some local dotfile you lack, and maybe
that's the difference? Grasping at straws there for sure. I really have no
idea what's going wrong on your end, and I'm not an OO.o expert by any means
at all. Nothing of the sort. I'm just trying to help you figure out how to
fish around and discover the source of what broke, and the effort could very
well be completely useless.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Martin Laberge 12-28-2007 05:16 PM

How do I mend Openoffice?

On December 27, 2007 08:43:59 Seakat wrote:
> Subject:
> > How do I mend OpenOffice?
> > From:
> > Seakat <seakat@orange.fr>
> > Date:
> > Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:03:23 +0100
> >
> > To:
> > Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> >

> > I upgraded recently from Kubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) to 7.10 (Gutsy), and this
> > also upgraded OpenOffice2.0.2 (I think) to 2.3.1. Now Ooo is badly
> > broken. Using KDE, Write displays only part of the text (but it is still
> > there), and the icons on the toolbars have disappeared. In Calc, the
> > line heights have become tiny, and when teased apart, the text remains
> > invisible (but it is still there in the entry window on the toolbar).
> > (Running in Gnome the problem is similar except that the tool bar icons
> > are still there). Strange horizontal red lines appear in both Write and
> > Calc. Impress shows the images, but only occasional bits of text. Even
> > worse, when Ooo is loaded my computer slows right down and heats up. Is
> > there a way out, please? However I have installed Ooo 2.3.1 on XP _SP2
> > running in VirtualBox on Kubuntu, and there is no apparent problem there.
> > Otherwise, I've been a Kubuntu user for about 6 months, and it's just great!
>
> Further to my above posting, I got the icons back in Ooo by tinkering
> with permissions. All the other problems seemed still there, however,
> and running "sudo soffice" or "sudo ooffice" didn't help.
> Then after reading the recent thread on kdesudo, I tried "kdesudo
> soffice" and "kdesudo ooffice". Now just about everything seems to work
> (no sound in Impress, yet, but that's minor). WOW!
>
> Four questions/comments:
> 1. THANK YOU kdesudo!
> 2. Shouldn't Ooo work anyway without having to do all this, and can't it
> be made easier, especially for newbies?
> 3. Anyone got ideas about the nitty gritty of why my OOo's screwed up
> without kdesu?

This is my opinion, I am not responsible for any harm caused to anyone by it.

Please, just turn back to Feisty-7.04, and set it correctly, and skip
this Gusty thing. It's just too unpolished. It is a prematured baby.

A Feisty maintained correctly, can beat a Gusty in any way I know.

It's full-fledged, stable, capable, versatile, ...
Maybe it do not have the last version of the things,
but those that are there works.

If you need gusty for a new device only, then take a few minutes
to fine-tune manually a feisty, and you'll be better served.

There is nothing in gusty who justify leaving a perfect feisty.
And the missing drivers, are easyly added.

Just wait for the next incarnation, who should be better.

This is what I did, and will maintain it until the next incarnation
(the post-Gusty one)

It is just my 2 cents.
(But it seems by the mailing-list, that I am not alone who think so)

--
Martin Laberge, 30 years of unix admin... and still learning!
mlsoft@videotron.ca