Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Michael Satterwhite

Default Problem playing a DVD

I have a DVD that I'd like to be able to play on my system. When I look at the
directory structure on it, I find that the VIDEO_TS directory doesn't have
execute permission ... IOW I can't list the contents. I have libdvd
installed, but I'm not sure how to get past this problem.

Can anyone offer any help?

---Michael

Old 01-05-2009, 11:24 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2009/1/5 Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com>:
> I have a DVD that I'd like to be able to play on my system. When I look at the
> directory structure on it, I find that the VIDEO_TS directory doesn't have
> execute permission ... IOW I can't list the contents. I have libdvd
> installed, but I'm not sure how to get past this problem.
>
> Can anyone offer any help?

You don't need to mount a DVD-Video to play it (same for Audio CD).
Just pop it in the reader and choose play DVD in Kaffeine. If the DVD
is encrypted you need the libdvdcss2 library from the
http://www.medibuntu.org/ repository read up on there site how to add
it.

/ Jonas

Old 01-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Michael Satterwhite

On Monday 05 January 2009 06:24:24 am Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2009/1/5 Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com>:
> > I have a DVD that I'd like to be able to play on my system. When I look
> > at the directory structure on it, I find that the VIDEO_TS directory
> > doesn't have execute permission ... IOW I can't list the contents. I have
> > libdvd installed, but I'm not sure how to get past this problem.
> >
> > Can anyone offer any help?
>
> You don't need to mount a DVD-Video to play it (same for Audio CD).
> Just pop it in the reader and choose play DVD in Kaffeine. If the DVD
> is encrypted you need the libdvdcss2 library from the
> http://www.medibuntu.org/ repository read up on there site how to add
> it.

That would be great ... if Kaffeine actually worked (at least in my
installation - I'm sure it's working properly in yours). My DVD drive
is /dev/scd0. For whatever reason Kaffeine insists on trying to open sdb5 -
which has nothing on it. I do have libdvdcss2 installed. If I could open the
directory, I could manually select the video file to play. As it is, it's
Kaffeine is unusable with this DVD.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:31 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2009/1/5 Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com>:
> On Monday 05 January 2009 06:24:24 am Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> 2009/1/5 Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com>:
>> > I have a DVD that I'd like to be able to play on my system. When I look
>> > at the directory structure on it, I find that the VIDEO_TS directory
>> > doesn't have execute permission ... IOW I can't list the contents. I have
>> > libdvd installed, but I'm not sure how to get past this problem.
>> >
>> > Can anyone offer any help?
>>
>> You don't need to mount a DVD-Video to play it (same for Audio CD).
>> Just pop it in the reader and choose play DVD in Kaffeine. If the DVD
>> is encrypted you need the libdvdcss2 library from the
>> http://www.medibuntu.org/ repository read up on there site how to add
>> it.
>
> That would be great ... if Kaffeine actually worked (at least in my
> installation - I'm sure it's working properly in yours). My DVD drive
> is /dev/scd0. For whatever reason Kaffeine insists on trying to open sdb5 -
> which has nothing on it. I do have libdvdcss2 installed. If I could open the
> directory, I could manually select the video file to play. As it is, it's
> Kaffeine is unusable with this DVD.

Kaffeine is using Xine as its backend. You can change the Xines
settings that Kaffeine using. Go to Kaffeine>Settings>Xine
settings>Media and there change the dvd.device option to what ever
device you are using. I have mine set to /dev/dvd that is a symlink to
my dvd device /dev/scd0. It could be that you are suffering from the
"Upgrade to Hardy removed my dvd symlinks bug" that i reported when
upgraded to Hardy. Look at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/223534 for a
description and solution.

/ Jonas

Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Michael Satterwhite

On Monday 05 January 2009 08:31:42 am Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2009/1/5 Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com>:

> >> You don't need to mount a DVD-Video to play it (same for Audio CD).
> >> Just pop it in the reader and choose play DVD in Kaffeine. If the DVD
> >> is encrypted you need the libdvdcss2 library from the
> >> http://www.medibuntu.org/ repository read up on there site how to add
> >> it.
> >
> > That would be great ... if Kaffeine actually worked (at least in my
> > installation - I'm sure it's working properly in yours). My DVD drive
> > is /dev/scd0. For whatever reason Kaffeine insists on trying to open sdb5
> > - which has nothing on it. I do have libdvdcss2 installed. If I could
> > open the directory, I could manually select the video file to play. As it
> > is, it's Kaffeine is unusable with this DVD.
>
> Kaffeine is using Xine as its backend. You can change the Xines
> settings that Kaffeine using. Go to Kaffeine>Settings>Xine
> settings>Media and there change the dvd.device option to what ever
> device you are using. I have mine set to /dev/dvd that is a symlink to
> my dvd device /dev/scd0. It could be that you are suffering from the
> "Upgrade to Hardy removed my dvd symlinks bug" that i reported when
> upgraded to Hardy. Look at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/223534 for a
> description and solution.

Apparently I'd been bitten by the bug and didn't know it. Problem solved.
Thanks.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 05 January 2009, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>On Monday 05 January 2009 06:24:24 am Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> 2009/1/5 Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com>:
>> > I have a DVD that I'd like to be able to play on my system. When I look
>> > at the directory structure on it, I find that the VIDEO_TS directory
>> > doesn't have execute permission ... IOW I can't list the contents. I
>> > have libdvd installed, but I'm not sure how to get past this problem.
>> >
>> > Can anyone offer any help?
>>
>> You don't need to mount a DVD-Video to play it (same for Audio CD).
>> Just pop it in the reader and choose play DVD in Kaffeine. If the DVD
>> is encrypted you need the libdvdcss2 library from the
>> http://www.medibuntu.org/ repository read up on there site how to add
>> it.
>
>That would be great ... if Kaffeine actually worked (at least in my
>installation - I'm sure it's working properly in yours). My DVD drive
>is /dev/scd0. For whatever reason Kaffeine insists on trying to open sdb5 -
>which has nothing on it. I do have libdvdcss2 installed. If I could open the
>directory, I could manually select the video file to play. As it is, it's
>Kaffeine is unusable with this DVD.

I had some trouble with kaffeine here, and finally built 0.8.7, which although
not terrible stable watching tv using the xine engine (gstreamer isn't
supported by my video card yet), I had no trouble playing a cd with it just
now, and that cd, a 2 disk set, has a dvd of one song too, and it, when I
click on the open dvd button, plays nicely. I checked in my
~/.kde/share/config/kaffeinerc, and the drive is not specified.

So you may want to try a newer kaffeine.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 12:04 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 05 January 2009, Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> >> You don't need to mount a DVD-Video to play it (same for Audio CD).
> >> Just pop it in the reader and choose play DVD in Kaffeine. If the DVD
> >> is encrypted you need the libdvdcss2 library from the
> >> http://www.medibuntu.org/ repository read up on there site how to add
> >> it.
> >
> >That would be great ... if Kaffeine actually worked (at least in my
> >installation - I'm sure it's working properly in yours). My DVD drive
> >is /dev/scd0. For whatever reason Kaffeine insists on trying to open sdb5 -
> >which has nothing on it. I do have libdvdcss2 installed. If I could open the
> >directory, I could manually select the video file to play. As it is, it's
> >Kaffeine is unusable with this DVD.
>
> I had some trouble with kaffeine here, and finally built 0.8.7, which although
> not terrible stable watching tv using the xine engine (gstreamer isn't
> supported by my video card yet), I had no trouble playing a cd with it just
> now, and that cd, a 2 disk set, has a dvd of one song too, and it, when I
> click on the open dvd button, plays nicely. I checked in my
> ~/.kde/share/config/kaffeinerc, and the drive is not specified.
>
> So you may want to try a newer kaffeine.

I think you want to check your xine install. kaffine kinda rides on top
of xine. So, in my ~/.xine/config I find

"# directory a media in dvd device will be mounted
# string, default: /dvd
#gui.osdmenu.dvd_mountpoint:/dvd

...which appears to be broken as hell. cdrom seems to be set correctly
but not used. weird.
# device used for CD audio
# string, default: /dev/cdrom
#media.audio_cd.device:/dev/cdrom