Old 01-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Steven Vollom

Default Is "Content Link" something any of you recognizes?

I have popups coming on my screen for the first time. They interrupt
the thing I am doing. It takes several clicks to get them off and they
return fast. I have only noticed them when using Firefox, which I
continue to use from time to time for certain things. Certain uses are
much faster in firefox, but I hate unwanted interruption and will remove
it from my machine if I can't get rid of the popups. The only one that
has a Titlebar reference is "Content Link". Thanks!

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Art Alexion

On 01/05/2009 Steven Vollom wrote:
> The only one that
> has a Titlebar reference is "Content Link"

Stop surfing so much porn! Just kidding.

It would be helpful if you said what the "pop-ups" say. Are they
message boxes from the program or javascript, or are they browser window
pop-ups?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 05 January 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>I have popups coming on my screen for the first time. They interrupt
>the thing I am doing. It takes several clicks to get them off and they
>return fast. I have only noticed them when using Firefox, which I
>continue to use from time to time for certain things. Certain uses are
>much faster in firefox, but I hate unwanted interruption and will remove
>it from my machine if I can't get rid of the popups. The only one that
>has a Titlebar reference is "Content Link". Thanks!
>
>Steven

Check the tools pulldown, extensions submenu, I have (among others)
AdBlock-1.0, and no-script installed. no-script can be a pita at times cuz
it can stop everything, but it tells you too when it does. There are several
extensions, but those are the main ones. Tools->add-ons will bring up
another menu with a get add-ons button, and will show you what you have now
along with the enabled/disabled status if its switchable. And they are all
checked at startup to see if they are the latest versions, if not you have
the option of installing the latest right then and there, before FF even
opens its main window.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Steven Vollom

Art Alexion wrote:
> On 01/05/2009 Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> The only one that
>> has a Titlebar reference is "Content Link"
>>

> Stop surfing so much porn! Just kidding.
>
> It would be helpful if you said what the "pop-ups" say. Are they
> message boxes from the program or javascript, or are they browser window
> pop-ups?

Like I said, the Title bar of one of them is 'Content Link'. They are
mechanisms to transfer you to other places, 'links'. When you click the
X to close one, another opens. It seems 4 or 5 in a row, very fast.
Most do not have a title bar, only the one. I don't try them, I am
concerned that clicking on one of them will activate more. But they
just stop you in your tracks; you can't continue with what you are
doing, until you close them.

The next time it happens, I will make a screen print, so I have
something to refer to when asked your question. Thanks for the reply.
Each time they happen, I am in a hurry to finish what I am doing and
just close the popups.

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Steven Vollom

> Check the tools pulldown, extensions submenu, I have (among others)
> AdBlock-1.0, and no-script installed. no-script can be a pita at times cuz
> it can stop everything, but it tells you too when it does. There are several
> extensions, but those are the main ones. Tools->add-ons will bring up
> another menu with a get add-ons button, and will show you what you have now
> along with the enabled/disabled status if its switchable. And they are all
> checked at startup to see if they are the latest versions, if not you have
> the option of installing the latest right then and there, before FF even
> opens its main window.

Is there a way to remove the offending script? Wouldn't that be
better? Or are there never scripts that are useful and beneficial? I
will follow your advice though; it sounds like a good solution. Thanks
friend.

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2009/1/5 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> I have popups coming on my screen for the first time. They interrupt
> the thing I am doing. It takes several clicks to get them off and they
> return fast. I have only noticed them when using Firefox, which I
> continue to use from time to time for certain things. Certain uses are
> much faster in firefox, but I hate unwanted interruption and will remove
> it from my machine if I can't get rid of the popups. The only one that
> has a Titlebar reference is "Content Link". Thanks!
>
> Steven

Can you please tell us which URLs you are browsing when the popups
occur? If you are not sure, then post a screenshot and I will take a
look.

Also, you might want to try starting a clean firefox profile and
checking if the problem still occurs:
http://support.mozilla.com/he/kb/Managing+profiles

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 01-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Billie Walsh

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I have popups coming on my screen for the first time. They interrupt
> the thing I am doing. It takes several clicks to get them off and they
> return fast. I have only noticed them when using Firefox, which I
> continue to use from time to time for certain things. Certain uses are
> much faster in firefox, but I hate unwanted interruption and will remove
> it from my machine if I can't get rid of the popups. The only one that
> has a Titlebar reference is "Content Link". Thanks!
>
> Steven

Do you have Firefox set to block pop-ups? I think it's a default
setting, but...............

Edit > Preferences > Content

I'm sure it's a silly question but some one has to ask the silly ones.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Steven Vollom

Can you please tell us which URLs you are browsing when the popups
> occur? If you are not sure, then post a screenshot and I will take a
> look.
>
> Also, you might want to try starting a clean firefox profile and
> checking if the problem still occurs:
> http://support.mozilla.com/he/kb/Managing+profiles

This is going to sound stupid, but I am not browsing at the time and
don't understand why it is happening. I am answering an email usually.
At first I thought it was something that came in updates, but it doesn't
make any sense. It screws up the work I am doing having an
interruption, and only the one popup has a Titlebar. The rest have
several boxes to click on to take you somewhere else. I have never
tried the link, because I am not sure that wouldn't increase the
problem, just because I attempted to use their program.

As far as a clean install, I have been considering removing Firefox and
Thunderbird. I want to be KDE exclusive, so that I can start taking
advantage of all its benefits. As long as I have the old friends
working, I have a tendency to use them from time to time. One reason
is, a torrent site I use works faster in Firefox that in Konqueror.
Thanks!

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Steven Vollom

> Do you have Firefox set to block pop-ups? I think it's a default
> setting, but...............
>
> Edit > Preferences > Content
>
> I'm sure it's a silly question but some one has to ask the silly ones.

Yes. The only thing is that these popups are happening during the reply
of a 'List Post'. It is very annoying.

Steven

Old 01-05-2009, 01:30 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2009/1/5 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> Is there a way to remove the offending script? Wouldn't that be
> better? Or are there never scripts that are useful and beneficial? I
> will follow your advice though; it sounds like a good solution. Thanks
> friend.
>
> Steven

The problem with removing the "offending script" is that there are
malicious scripts out there, which may harm you only after you have
run it. Otherwise you would not know that it is malicious! That said,
I find NoScript to be too intrusive for everyday browsing. But if you
can live with it, then great!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com