Old 01-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Wulfy

Default Can't set clock

I discovered that my computer clock is 90 seconds fast. I tried to
reset it using both the "System Settings" applet and the command-line.
In the first case, it complained about not being able to connect with
the time-server and so not being able to set time, date and timezone
data (I'd only changed the time). Any idea how I'm supposed to get the
time right???

Kubuntu Intrepid, KDE 4.2 beta up to date. 64bit version.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 01-04-2009, 11:03 AM
David Fletcher

On Sunday 04 Jan 2009, Wulfy wrote:
> I discovered that my computer clock is 90 seconds fast. I tried to
> reset it using both the "System Settings" applet and the command-line.
> In the first case, it complained about not being able to connect with
> the time-server and so not being able to set time, date and timezone
> data (I'd only changed the time). Any idea how I'm supposed to get the
> time right???

You have ntpd installed?

--

Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763

Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Wulfy

David Fletcher wrote:
> On Sunday 04 Jan 2009, Wulfy wrote:
>
>> I discovered that my computer clock is 90 seconds fast. I tried to
>> reset it using both the "System Settings" applet and the command-line.
>> In the first case, it complained about not being able to connect with
>> the time-server and so not being able to set time, date and timezone
>> data (I'd only changed the time). Any idea how I'm supposed to get the
>> time right???
>>

> You have ntpd installed?

I have ntpdate installed. I think that supplies the daemon.

<sigh> I've had problems with the public time servers ever since I moved
to Linux when Sarge was Testing in Debian. I've never had a problem
like this, though.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 04 January 2009, Wulfy wrote:
>David Fletcher wrote:
>> On Sunday 04 Jan 2009, Wulfy wrote:
>>> I discovered that my computer clock is 90 seconds fast. I tried to
>>> reset it using both the "System Settings" applet and the command-line.
>>> In the first case, it complained about not being able to connect with
>>> the time-server and so not being able to set time, date and timezone
>>> data (I'd only changed the time). Any idea how I'm supposed to get the
>>> time right???
>>
>> You have ntpd installed?
>
>I have ntpdate installed. I think that supplies the daemon.

ntpdate is not ntpd, in fact, in the versions I'm fam with, starting the ntpd
via the script in init.d, it generally uses ntpdate to do a crash set of the
clock to something sane, and then starts the daemon ntpd to keep it that way.

Two different protcols.

><sigh> I've had problems with the public time servers ever since I moved
>to Linux when Sarge was Testing in Debian. I've never had a problem
>like this, though.

pool.ntp.org is a pseudo round robin dns server and has always worked for me.

>--
>Blessings
>
>Wulfmann
>
>Wulf Credo:
>Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack.
>Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.
>Share your affections. Voice your opinion. Leave your Mark.
>Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM
David Fletcher

On Sunday 04 Jan 2009, Wulfy wrote:
> I have ntpdate installed. I think that supplies the daemon.
>
> <sigh> I've had problems with the public time servers ever since I moved
> to Linux when Sarge was Testing in Debian. I've never had a problem
> like this, though.
>
> --
> Blessings
>
> Wulfmann

I've never installed ntpdate. I didn't know there was such a thing.

What I'd try is removing ntpdate then install ntp (or is it ntpd? I can't
recall). If it needs ntpdate it should put it back.

Then what happens is, your system will not immediately show the correct time,
it will very gradually adjust itself little by little. Unless you reboot it,
then I think it sets itself correctly right away.

Dave

Old 01-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Wulfy

David Fletcher wrote:
> I've never installed ntpdate. I didn't know there was such a thing.

ntpdate is pulled in by ubuntu-minimal.

> What I'd try is removing ntpdate then install ntp (or is it ntpd? I can't
> recall). If it needs ntpdate it should put it back.

I tried removing ntpdate it would have broken ubuntu-minimal so I left
it. I installed ntp and it seems to have made no difference...

> Then what happens is, your system will not immediately show the correct time,
> it will very gradually adjust itself little by little. Unless you reboot it,
> then I think it sets itself correctly right away.
>
> Dave
Even after installing it, I get the "unable to contact time server" and
that it can't update the time... :@(

I even tried the old Windows First Resort as a last resort - I
rebooted... it made no difference.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday 04 January 2009, Wulfy wrote:
> > Then what happens is, your system will not immediately show the correct
> > time, it will very gradually adjust itself little by little. Unless you
> > reboot it, then I think it sets itself correctly right away.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Even after installing it, I get the "unable to contact time server" and
> that it can't update the time... *:@(
>
> I even tried the old Windows First Resort as a last resort - I
> rebooted... *it made no difference.

Try running:

ntpdate pool.ntp.org

That is a one time shot at setting the clock.

Either make it a cron job (daily) or modify:

/etc/ntp.conf

to include pool.ntp.org as a time server.

Here's the appropriate server entries I have in /etc/ntp.conf:

# You do need to talk to an NTP server or two (or three).
#server ntp.ubuntu.com
server 0.pool.ntp.org
server 1.pool.ntp.org
server 2.pool.ntp.org

Old 01-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Wulfy

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Sunday 04 January 2009, Wulfy wrote:
>
>>> Then what happens is, your system will not immediately show the correct
>>> time, it will very gradually adjust itself little by little. Unless you
>>> reboot it, then I think it sets itself correctly right away.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>> Even after installing it, I get the "unable to contact time server" and
>> that it can't update the time... :@(
>>
>> I even tried the old Windows First Resort as a last resort - I
>> rebooted... it made no difference.
>>

> Try running:
>
> ntpdate pool.ntp.org
>

> That is a one time shot at setting the clock.

wulfy@wulfy-desktop:~$ ntpdate pool.ntp.org
5 Jan 01:01:14 ntpdate[13316]: bind() fails: Permission denied
wulfy@wulfy-desktop:~$ sudo ntpdate pool.ntp.org
[sudo] password for wulfy:
5 Jan 01:01:29 ntpdate[13318]: the NTP socket is in use, exiting

> Either make it a cron job (daily) or modify:
>
> /etc/ntp.conf
>
> to include pool.ntp.org as a time server.
>
> Here's the appropriate server entries I have in /etc/ntp.conf:
>
> # You do need to talk to an NTP server or two (or three).
> #server ntp.ubuntu.com
> server 0.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.pool.ntp.org
> server 2.pool.ntp.org

I made the changes to ntp.conf. The daily cron job accesses ntp.conf...

Thanks for your help, Bruce! Much appreciated. I'll report back in a
day or so if it's working...

Old 01-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Derek Broughton

David Fletcher wrote:

> On Sunday 04 Jan 2009, Wulfy wrote:
>> I have ntpdate installed. I think that supplies the daemon.
>>
>> <sigh> I've had problems with the public time servers ever since I moved
>> to Linux when Sarge was Testing in Debian. I've never had a problem
>> like this, though.
>>

> I've never installed ntpdate. I didn't know there was such a thing.

Please don't give users advice like this when you don't even know what the
default-installed software does.

ntpdate is the default installed by ubuntu because most of us don't need a
time server.

I'd recommend you just look at syslog when you run ntpdate - it will
usually tell you why it didn't work (and it usually means you have an
invalid time server - which wouldn't be solved by installing ntpd)

> What I'd try is removing ntpdate then install ntp (or is it ntpd? I can't
> recall). If it needs ntpdate it should put it back.

It probably _won't_ need ntpdate if you have ntpd, but I really don't like
the idea of users, who can't even figure out why ntpdate isn't working,
running time servers.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:53 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 04 January 2009, Wulfy wrote:
>David Fletcher wrote:
>> I've never installed ntpdate. I didn't know there was such a thing.
>
>ntpdate is pulled in by ubuntu-minimal.
>
>> What I'd try is removing ntpdate then install ntp (or is it ntpd? I can't
>> recall). If it needs ntpdate it should put it back.
>
>I tried removing ntpdate it would have broken ubuntu-minimal so I left
>it. I installed ntp and it seems to have made no difference...
>
>> Then what happens is, your system will not immediately show the correct
>> time, it will very gradually adjust itself little by little. Unless you
>> reboot it, then I think it sets itself correctly right away.
>>
>> Dave
>
>Even after installing it, I get the "unable to contact time server" and
>that it can't update the time... :@(

Can you 'ping pool.ntp.org'? That will separate firewall problems from
network problems. Its possible your firewall is blocking the port (123, both
udp and tcp) that ntp uses.

The ping should look like this:
# ping pool.ntp.org
PING pool.ntp.org (207.182.243.123) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from redline.mednor.net (207.182.243.123): icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=119
ms
64 bytes from redline.mednor.net (207.182.243.123): icmp_seq=2 ttl=49 time=136
ms
64 bytes from redline.mednor.net (207.182.243.123): icmp_seq=3 ttl=49 time=166
ms
64 bytes from redline.mednor.net (207.182.243.123): icmp_seq=4 ttl=49 time=118
ms

I hit ctrl + c here,
^C
--- pool.ntp.org ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3003ms

Now, if I was to do that again, its very likely that I would get a different
server the next time.

pool.ntp.org uses some sort of a round-robin setup to distribute the load on
the timeservers so you usually get a different one every time you do a dns
query.

>I even tried the old Windows First Resort as a last resort - I
>rebooted... it made no difference.
>

>--
>Blessings
>
>Wulfmann
>
>Wulf Credo:
>Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack.
>Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.
>Share your affections. Voice your opinion. Leave your Mark.
>Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
somebody was calculating pi on the server