Old 01-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Default How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually? **RESOLVED** Thanks to all.

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Dear Mathew,
>
> It works again.

Great! You just didn't have write permission for the root directory of
the partition's filesystem.

> I don't fully understand what has happened, but I am copying the process
> and will study until I understand. If I get confused, may I write to
> get a little additional coaching?

Sure.

>> ls -ld /media/sdb5
>> ls -ld /media/sdb5/NewDirectory
>> ls -l /media/sdb5/NewDirectory
>>

> steven@Studio25:~$ sudo chown steven:steven /media/sdb5
> [sudo] password for steven:
> steven@Studio25:~$ mkdir /media/sdb5/NewDirectory
> steven@Studio25:~$ touch /media/sdb5/NewDirectory/test.txt
> steven@Studio25:~$ ls -ld /media/sdb5
> drwxr-xr-x 5 steven steven 4096 2009-01-04 02:08 /media/sdb5
> steven@Studio25:~$ ls -ld /media/sdb5/NewDirectory
> drwxr-xr-x 2 steven steven 4096 2009-01-04 02:06 /media/sdb5/NewDirectory
> steven@Studio25:~$ ls -l /media/sdb5/NewDirectory
> total 0
> -rw-r--r-- 1 steven steven 0 2009-01-04 02:06 test.txt
> steven@Studio25:~$

Yep, this is the output what I expected. You should now be able to use
the partition normally. Also, you can obviously rename or delete
NewDirectory and test.txt. That was only for debugging.

Matt Flaschen