Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Default How do I activate my sdb5 partition and have it stay active continually.

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> "gedit" is a text editor, I thought that it was installed in all
>> Ubuntu installations.
>
> It is, but this is the Kubuntu list.
>
> Try kedit instead if you use KDE (er, I think
>> that I remember that you do!)
>>
>> $ sudo kedit /etc/fstab
>
> Actually, it's called kate:
>
> sudo kate /etc/fstab

Sorry. Apparently there is a kedit as well. But kedit is only required
by kdeutils and such, while kate is required by kdebase, and thus more
likely to be installed.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-04-2009, 05:45 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Am I supposed to type into the terminal:
>
> = Download the deb for ubuntu and...
>
> I will wait for a little more input before I proceed. Thanks to you all.

I don't think you need to download anything. As I understand it, you
have a /dev/sdb5 partition, mounted on /media/sdb5, and your problem is
that you can't write to /media/sdb5 . Try the following (/media/sdb5
should already be mounted, because of your new fstab):

sudo chown steven:steven /media/sdb5
mkdir /media/sdb5/NewDirectory
touch /media/sdb5/NewDirectory/test.txt

Post any output (there should be none, other than the sudo prompt, if it
works).

This changes ownership on the root directory of the filesystem to you,
then creates a directory and a file to test. Afterwards, post the
output of:

ls -ld /media/sdb5
ls -ld /media/sdb5/NewDirectory
ls -l /media/sdb5/NewDirectory